Start by marking “Hello Sunshine” as Want to Read:
Hello Sunshine

Hello Sunshine

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
"Ryan Adams writes with equal parts precision and recklessness; the blood he draws from the text is easily as unnerving as its unapologetic tenderness. He is proof that poetry will find its writer."—Mary-Louise Parker, actress

"Ryan Adams, one of America's most consistently interesting singer/songwriters, has written a passionate, arresting, and entertaining book of verse.
Published December 1st 2009 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Hello Sunshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello Sunshine

Richard Derus
Oct 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
National Poetry Month means another chance to slam bad poetry! HELLO SUNSHINE review can be found at Shelf Inflicted. It's, well, it's badbadbad really bad.
Kevin Graham
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've always found it hard to get into the "weightier" poetry that one is supposed to read. I've liked bits of Baudelaire and that, but never really been able to penetrate beyond that.
Ryan Adams' poetry, as does his music, talks to me. It's in the here and now and it gets through to me more than any dead poet.
I clicked into his irregular verse with ease and my mind was filled with wonderful images that have been buzzing round my mind for years. It's warm, open and through his wonderful imagery br
Ashley
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
ohhhhh Ryan.

your music is perfection.
your poetry...is just...awkward.

i want to love it. i want my life to be changed by it, just as it was through the music.
but it just isn't happening.

that being said, i was able to appreciate his stuff way more when i was able to see him read it (there's a youtube video of him reading White Lightning at the new york public library...i thoroughly enjoyed that).

the guy can write, but it's a million times better when there's music accompanying the words!
Kinsey
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"no,
those ghosts and i,
we aren't talking
and
i am closing this cemetery in me
for good"

For being such a beautiful lyricist, Ryan Adams' poetry is rather...awkward. Sometimes downright awful. However, it did give me a rather interesting insight into the way his mind works and "Chapter Six" had some of the best examples of his writing - outside of his songs - so I'm rather happy I read this!
Cassie Eacker
Book #8 completed for Book Riot Challenge: 'Book published by an indie press' Good thing this was an easy set of poetry to get through, because it was a lot of rubbish. I felt like it gives me permission to publish the poetry I wrote whilst drunk my freshman year of college, because it's pretty much the same style and quality.
Jessie
Aug 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was going to give this three stars, but then I read the last chapter on my lunch break, and I really needed to give it four stars. I hope when/if I get married, my husband writes poetry like that for me.
John
Oct 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Ryan adams is my favorite musician. I look at his poetry books from time to time is small pieces, not straight through the way you'd read a novel or biography.
Citlalli Vargas Contreras
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
When I first started reading Ryan Adams' poetry, I thought it would be similar to his songs and it actually has elements that resemble his lyrics but his poems are quite circular and fluid, even if sometimes they can be very repetitive, the images he creates through his verses are charming, very according with the book title. Also, there are verses which are so simple but, at the same time they say such strong things which makes it a very nice, warm and pleasant book with a little touch of melan ...more
Melissa Nastasi
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ryan is a *tad* bit better at being a lyrical wordsmith than a poet, but his words evoke emotion and depth either way. I met him at a reading and signing of this book a few years back at the New York Public Library, and he was one of the nicest guys ever. He's really passionate about his craft and takes it very seriously.
Windy
Nov 26, 2009 marked it as to-read
Okay, here's the plan.

Buy this book.
Find a job up north.
Pack up the car.
Drive up the I-5; reach southern Oregon as the early morning fog lifts.
Play the Cold Roses album.
Read this book.
Danielle
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Beats the hell out of "Infinity Blues," Adams' first book of poetry! However, I really feel like Adams' strength lies in making music and that he should stick to his strengths.
Roberta
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This felt shorter than Infinity Blues, and I have to admit, I liked it better. Not sure why.
Con
Jul 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Much more positive by Ryan, I'm delighted for him! And me!
Mindy Jones
  • The Show That Smells
  • Getting High: The Adventures of Oasis
  • Lone Star Noir
  • Las Vegas Noir
  • The Nervous System (Dewey Decimal #2)
  • Havana Noir
  • What Else Is in the Teaches of Peaches
  • The Book of Joshua
  • Mexico City Noir
  • The Sacrificial Circumcision of the Bronx  (New York: The Five Books of Moses Bk.2)
  • Remembering the Kanji II: A Systematic Guide to Reading Japanese Characters
David Ryan Adams is an American alt-country/rock singer-songwriter. Raised by his mother and grandmother, Adams dropped out of school at age 16 and performed with several local bands before moving to Raleigh and forming the band Whiskeytown. Three albums and five years later, Adams went solo, releasing Heartbreaker in 2000. A longtime resident of New York City, Adams is probably best known for his ...more