Start by marking “Does Your Mama Know?: An Anthology of Black Lesbian Coming Out Stories” as Want to Read:
Does Your Mama Know?: An Anthology of Black Lesbian Coming Out Stories

Does Your Mama Know?: An Anthology of Black Lesbian Coming Out Stories

By turns funny, passionate, angry and joyous, does your mama know? reflects the complexity of emotions that accompany a black lesbian’s coming out. These 49 short stories, poems, interviews and essays—fiction and nonfiction—make up a powerful collection of original and new writing by 41 women. does your mama know? is ready to take its place in the halls of literary African ...more
Published August 1st 1998 by Redbone Pr (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Does Your Mama Know?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Does Your Mama Know?

Rena
Does Your Mama Know is a pivotal book for black lesbians. Whereas coming out is such a personal and varied experience, the beauty of this book is in the commonalities of our emotions and the reactions - both internal and external - that we evoke by sharing our truths. I was moved. The week it took me to read and digest this anthology served me well.
l.
"We are out here. I only wish you could have heard us sooner."
Melinda
Mar 16, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist, dnf
I'm only a little ways through the book but already I'm enjoying it. Not everything is well written but the issues brought up in the book are familiar. I wish that I had found this book when I was first coming out. It would have been nice to have a black lesbian perspective on being in the life.
HeavyReader
Jun 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
I really enjoyed this collection of coming out stories written by black lesbians. I think it could be really helpful for black lesbians who are not yet out to read about how others did it and what it meant in their lives.
Natasha
Oct 28, 2010 rated it liked it
There was a wide range of stories, most very interesting, but some a little long. Overall it was a great book of short stories.
ACRL
Sep 20, 2010 added it
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Michelle Dartis. Learn more about Michelle on the ACRL Insider blog.
Winter Sophia Rose
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A True Glimpse Into The Minds Of Those Who are Out! Inspirational & Motivational!
Pia
Jan 07, 2008 added it
I have heard of this book, but haven't read it yet. A good one to get to.
Chanel
Jul 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: black women and those who love them
a great book for all those wmoen who think they're alone and are searching for community, family, and/or justification and support
Kylie Sparks
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbtq, short-stories
This book was really interesting for me because I do not know many African-American lesbians. It is a really excellent collection of stories.
Tracey
a great compilation of fiction, non-fiction and poetry related to coming out stories.
Lisa
Sep 16, 2008
Shanna Hullaby
Aug 11, 2014
Karen
rated it did not like it
May 27, 2015
Mark
Nov 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Afrekete: An Anthology of Black Lesbian Writing
  • Go the Way Your Blood Beats: An Anthology of Lesbian and Gay Literary Fiction by African-American Writers
  • Beyond the Down Low: Sex, Lies, and Denial in Black America
  • Black Like Us: A Century of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual African American Fiction
  • Sweet Tea: Black Gay Men of the South
  • Gringa: A Contradictory Girlhood
  • Revolutionary Voices: A Multicultural Queer Youth Anthology
  • Queering the Color Line: Race and the Invention of Homosexuality in American Culture
  • Child of War, Woman of Peace
  • She Wants Her
  • Kicked Out
  • Transgender Rights
  • Open Wide the Freedom Gates: A Memoir
  • Hear Us Out!: Lesbian and Gay Stories of Struggle, Progress, and Hope, 1950 to the Present
  • The Other Side of Paradise
  • 12 Angry Men: True Stories of Being a Black Man in America Today
  • Transparent: Love, Family, and Living the T with Transgender Teenagers
  • Butch Is a Noun
Lisa C. Moore is the founder and editor of RedBone Press, which publishes work celebrating the culture of black lesbians and gay men and promoting understanding between black gays and lesbians and the black mainstream. Moore is the editor of does your mama know? An Anthology of Black Lesbian Coming Out Stories, and co-editor of Spirited: Affirming the Soul and Black Gay/Lesbian Identity. Most rece ...more