Start by marking “Not the Only One: Lesbian and Gay Fiction for Teens” as Want to Read:
Not the Only One: Lesbian and Gay Fiction for Teens

Not the Only One: Lesbian and Gay Fiction for Teens

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  39 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This revised edition of Alyson’s groundbreaking anthology for gay and lesbian teens features new original fiction which reflect both the tension and relief of being true to oneself. Contributors include Gregory Maguire (Wicked), Brent Hartinger (The Geography Club), Claire McNab (The Wombat Strategy), Michael Thomas Ford (Last Summer) and Bonnie Shimko (Letters in the Atti ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Alyson Books

To ask other readers questions about Not the Only One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not the Only One

Hallie
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt
I am giving this two stars because, in general, it's not a very good anthology. That doesn't mean every story in it is a two-star story. I would give Gregory MacGuire's "The Honorary Shepherds" at least four - the writing reminded me of David Levithan, which is always a plus - and Donna Allegra's "God Lies in the Details" is a solid three. But I was completely squicked out by "Crossing Lines," featuring sex of ambiguous consent between a teenager and a much older man. It was an excerpt from a lo ...more
Julie
Nov 30, 2009 rated it liked it
How come in anthologies like this, there's never any science fiction or fantasy? It can be gay fiction for teens and be genre as well, really!

More of the stories weren't bad. Nothing outstanding though. A lot of them left me unsatisfied. Like 'now what?' or 'so what?' or 'that's all?' I can't say they weren't technically stories, with a character change in them. But they were definitely small stories. The most important moment in a character's life? Not really. /An/ important moment, maybe.

I'm j
Jaq
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was always one of the others growing up, you know the ones who exist on the edges of the school life, and how I wished this book had been around growing up.

Just being able to read about people who didn't fit into the societal norms, would have made it easier to deal with being different from the majority, at least for me.

I enjoyed the different voices, and experiences from each of these tales.

Sally
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
For the most part, a disappointing collection. However, this may have been the short-story book I read where the last one was two girls in a boarding school getting expelled..? In that case, yay!
Ashley
Feb 01, 2017 added it
#
CompNtBk
Borrowed from the library.

FS:

LS:
Leafsong
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Meaningful- very much including the introduction.
Julia
Nov 16, 2010
Santiago
Sep 17, 2014
Sep 02, 2009 added it
Not the Only One: Lesbian and Gay Fiction for Teens by Jane Summer (2004)
Jessica