Start by marking “Auguries of Innocence” as Want to Read:
Auguries of Innocence

Auguries of Innocence

Auguries of Innocence is the first book of poetry from Patti Smith in more than a decade. It marks a major accomplishment from a poet and performer who has inscribed her vision of our world in powerful anthems, ballads, and lyrics. In this intimate and searing collection of poems, Smith joins in that great tradition of troubadours, journeymen, wordsmiths, and artists who r ...more
Published October 11th 2005 by Ecco

To ask other readers questions about Auguries of Innocence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Auguries of Innocence

Adriana Scarpin
Written by a Lake

New Year’s Day. Rain. Two candles light the room where they sleep. She confesses. This is where she weeps. She is the cause of the rain. She could not stop weeping and the sky obliged to follow.

(How is it mapped? What is the refrain? Why must the sky follow?) The heart drops in the center of an inexhaustible lake. How light the heart appears, yet how weighty a thing. A powerful stone carved in the shape of an organ with chambers pumping. How slick a shadow it leaks as its signat
Mel
I don't usually write reviews of poetry because it is so subjective. Either you like it or you don't. But I mean c'mon it's Patti Smith. I have always considered Patti more of an artist and a poet than a great singer.She is a great performer but in that venue can be hard to take at times, but she is a brilliant writer, and poet and this small book of poetry is no exception. Beautiful poems and meditations worth reading but from Patti I'd expect no less. 5 biased Patti Smith loving stars.
Mike Puma
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, poetry
The reason this might have deserved more like 3.5 stars will, eventually, appear in Message 1.
Mars Yuvarajan
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Some great poems in here—well written, intelligently structured, and full of amazing visuals. This, however, does not always make for a great collection. I felt for all the ingredients in this volume there was a noticeable distance or absence in the works. Perhaps there will be others who read these poems and think otherwise—but I personally didn’t click with the works, finding in their writing a coolness and in their reading a numbness.
––––•(-•The Insomniac Book Hoarder•-
My first time to have read something from Patti Smith (ooh the shock, horror. I know!).

While I do not specifically sought out poetry to read, I was however interested in this, as it was short (tbh). However, as I continued to read on, I was entranced by the writing's fluidity, the calmness yet realistic portrayal of life.
Vanessa
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

This is the first collection of Patti Smith's poetry that I have read, and it was a mixed bag. There were certain, more personal poems, that I absolutely adored and would re-read again and again. Then there were other more political poems that I didn't really feel much of a connection with. I think this is a collection to read a couple of times, as I think I will have a different experience each time. I have heard mixed things about this one, so I am eager to pick up another of her mo
Debra Hale-Shelton
Well-written, moving, serious. Vastly different from her prose that's also well-written, moving and serious. Patti Smith's humanity, kindness and empathy as well as her brilliance are apparent in all of her writing, though -- at least all that I've read. I should reread this book of poetry to understand it better and to appreciate it more.
Kienan Aguado
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
God damn.
Greg
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
More well-written Blakesian poetry from Patti Smith.
Geoffrey Deacon
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
He poetry has only matured and deepened over the years.
RainbowWriter
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
starlingheron
2.5 to 3
Lorespar
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Blue doll
going to give me nightmares, for sure
Bradley
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This collection of poetry from the Godmother of Punk features elegant and colorful imagery evoking long lost artists, troubadours, and other literary figures. Drawing influences from poets such as Blake and Rimbaud, Smith carves out her own niche as a modern wordsmith. Published in 2005, a decade after her previous collection of poems, this collection signifies the continuation of a thirty plus year career of penning powerful anthems and prose. Introspective, striking, and sometimes comical, Smi ...more
Tyler Jones
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
At first I had difficulty connecting to the place these poems were coming from. I had some big “aha!” moments with some of the later pieces, so I suspect it just took me some time to get myself in tune with the writing. A second reading (after a little time away) may reap greater rewards. I suspect these poems could help guide me; there is a religious quality here…

I suppose the more cynical reader might find her a little flaky, to which I would reply, Shut up and go watch your college football g
Hundeschlitten
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it
The most personal of these poems, the ones that allude to Smith's children and the death of her husband, Fred Smith of the MC5, are quite excellent. The poems about the life of an artist, while a little too full of 25-cent words, are also O.K. I could take or leave the political poems, where Smith channels an Iraqi mother or a victim in the Spanish Civil War. So, it was a mixed bag for me. My favorites in this small book: "The Pride Moves Slowly" and "To His Daughter."
Roisin
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Don't let 'free form' poems put you off! There is only one that is written, as is someone is ranting, without mitre or rhyme or punctuation, 'Our Jargon Muffles The Drum', which to my surprise was engaging and not dull. Mixing modern day events with her influences, one will not be bored but intrigued. If you like Blake, Rimbaud or Verlaine than you will like this collection of poetry.
Dana Jerman
Dec 24, 2011 rated it liked it
I cant help but look at some of the work that Smith did and say, "Oh, yeah, I could do that." Not only this but have done, and better.
This poetry is kind of jumbled. Rhyme exists unnecessarily, and images are piled upon by more images tangled in their own word choice.
A little bit of "Babel" is like this, but its a better read. More density and craft, and harder core subject matter.
Shaun
Jun 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Frankly, I had a very hard time reading and understanding this particular book of poetry. Something alone the line of Naked Lunch -- also a difficult book for me. Some of her imagery is, however, astouding and very well written; for example, Birds of Iraq and Mummers Love, both among my favorite poems by her. Can't wait to read Just Kids".
Stacy Fetters
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
The great Patti Smith writes with such deep and moving emotion. I found myself getting goosebumps while reading her poems.
If this is your first go at Patti, I would pick a different title. But, for people who have always loved such an inspirational woman then read this. Wasn't her best work but still powerful.
Kenneth
Dec 08, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I always feel a little guilty giving poetry a bad rating, as I know that poetry speaks to different people in different ways. However, I just could not find anything to like about this collection beyond "Our Jargon Muffles the Drum." One poem, in my opinion, is just not enough to get a better review than this one.
Leallani
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
"We broke our mother's heart and became ourselves"
Kim
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
not what I expected from my first foray into Patti Smith's poetry, but the prosey poems really stand out.
Jonathan
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
A varied collection of poems from 2005. Some are quite dense and need some unravelling, but others I just connected with straight away, such as 'Birds Of Iraq' and 'Our Jargon Muffles The Drum'.
Lisa Bilodeau
Some of her poems are lyrical and interesting. Others were frankly confusing and did not resonate with me.
Mic Mathre
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Words of my soul.
Domonique
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Really liked the sort of slam/spoken word poem about the children. It was the highlight of the entire collection for me. There were some really good quotable phrases as well.
May FLower
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
The incredible and very dreamlike poetry of Patti Smith does not disappoint.
Olivia
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poemly-luv
I sat down outside to read this book from beginning to end, all aloud. Beautiful.
  • The Happy Birthday of Death
  • All My Pretty Ones
  • Unincorporated Persons in the Late Honda Dynasty
  • Ted Hughes: Poems Selected by Simon Armitage
  • The Cloud Corporation
  • Not Me (Semiotext(e) / Native Agents)
  • Void of Course
  • A Village Life
  • The Love Songs of Sappho: Translated with an Essay by Paul Roche
  • San Francisco Blues
  • When You Say One Thing But Mean Your Mother
  • Smoke
PATTI SMITH is a writer, performer, and visual artist. She gained recognition in the 1970s for her revolutionary merging of poetry and rock. She has released twelve albums, including Horses, which has been hailed as one of the top one hundred albums of all time by Rolling Stone.

Smith had her first exhibit of drawings at the Gotham Book Mart in 1973 and has been represented by the Robert Miller Ga
“So be we king
or be we bum
the reed still whistles
the heart still hums”
1 likes
“Everything here is a small offense and not of value as art or confession. It is not a whim. It is an attempt to peel another putrid skin.” 0 likes