Start by marking “Hawksmaid: The Untold Story of Robin Hood and Maid Marian” as Want to Read:
Hawksmaid: The Untold Story of Robin Hood and Maid Marian

Hawksmaid: The Untold Story of Robin Hood and Maid Marian

Before she was Maid Marian, she was Matty....

Matty has been raised to dance well, embroider exquisitely, and marry nobly. But when Matty's mother is murdered before her very eyes and her father, a nobleman, is reduced to poverty, Matty's life changes.

As the daughter of Nottingham's most famous falconer, she finds a new destiny in the hawks her father keeps. She

Published May 1st 2010 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2000)

Start your review of Hawksmaid: The Untold Story of Robin Hood and Maid Marian
Kara
Dec 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: robin-hood
First, there is something I have to get off my chest that really bugged me:

There were NO POTATOES in 12th century England! Got that? THERE WERE NO POTATOES IN MEDIEVAL EUROPE! None. Nada. Not a one. No, no, no. Robin Hood characters and potatoes never, ever met! There were no French fries, no crisps, no chips, no mashed potatoes, no sweet potatoes, no baked potatoes, and if you needed somewhere to hide when there was an attack on the castle going on, there would certainly not have been a bag of
☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė
4.5/5

I've reread this book many times and I forgot to put in on Goodreads. This book says that it is for 10 and up but I think that it is still okay for young adults looking for a quick read.

This book is about Matty who is the daughter of one of the best falconers in their time which is in the 1100's. she was growing up to be a typical young lady until there castle and whole town was attacked by men following orders from Prince John. His older brother is line for king but was away so John is
Jake Rideout
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I am a complete sucker for Robin Hood retellings. Ever since I read The Outlaws of Sherwood, by Robin McKinley, I can't get enough of them. This one was so good, different from all the rest but with enough of the familiar elements that I was satisfied. Matty is the daughter of an English noble, and when she is a child her home is invaded by the vile Guy of Gisborne. In the aftermath of the invasion, Matty finds herself bearing more responsibility than a child should, and she learns to hunt with ...more
Lorraine
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Maid Marian & Robin Hood.
An intriguing approach to the story of Maid Marian and Robin Hood. Of course, I liked this telling as Marian is smart, clever, and a doer. This character did not like it one bit when Robin received all the credit, and she made her feelings known! Atta girl!! Kathryn Lasky’s Hawksmaid, The Untold Story of Robin Hood and Maid Marian, a YA novel, has Maid Marian aka Marty take the role of a falconer. Her family’s birds with Marian’s guiding hand play a major role in this story as well as Marian ...more
Adam
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love Robin Hood. I love 12th century medevil books like this. I love the author, her writing and her other series. So how could I not like this book??
Absolutely perfect. A top ten lister.
Lanie
the very fact that this piece of dung exsists bothers me. this is a slap in the face to robin hood fans, falcons, and men the world over. first off, there were NO potatos in england in the middle ages! that was just terrible research on everyone's part. i can hardly believe the editers allowed it to go unchecked. secondly! it is not realistic for Matty to suddenly become so great at falconry, arechery, fencing and fighting. I'm not saying that girls aren't capable of these things. of course they ...more
Chrissy
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a super-cute retelling of "Robin Hood." I enjoyed the reading the story from Maid Marian's perspective and the amount of detail Lasky includes from the old legends is lots of fun. If you're a fan of any version of Robin Hood or just enjoy fairy tale retellings in general, you'll like this one.
Madelynn
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. I highly recomend it. At some points little confused. but then read last few sentences that I had accidentally skipped over... ta-da made sense again!! I think that this book had just the right amount of drama, romance, nature-as in the hawk info, and everything else.
Sarah Hayes
Dec 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
I loved Kathryn Lasky's GUARDIANS OF GA'HOOLE series. This book, however, is a hot sweaty nonsensical mess of a novel. It carries itself as a historical fiction novel - but by the end of it, everything falls apart and is a failure of what is supposed to be a historical fantasy AU.

Maid Marian is some kind of hawk mastering master and surpasses even her father at a very young age. She is the most smart, clever, cunning, pretty, brave, fearless person ~ever~ and everyone loves her and if you don't
Aspen Shannon
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A child-like retelling of the legendary story of Robin Hood. A very cute read, with lots of falconry (which was very fascinating to me as I've been interested in becoming a falconer in the past), beautiful moments in the forest with Robin's young band of outlaws, gorgeous tree houses and overall I truly liked the story.
Panda Incognito
May 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
This book is so bad that it isn't even funny! I don't know how this book got published. I've read stories by my unpublished writer friends which are far better than this.

I stumbled upon this book in the library, and checked it out because it looked intriguing. It's a juvenile book by an author that I'm familiar with, so I assumed it would be decent, and it was. But the story was absolutely horrible. My complaints could carry on as long as the book itself, but I shall narrow them down.

The untold
Kogiopsis
I read the first... one? Two? books of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series and I swear they weren't this bad. Seriously, Lasky, what gives? I mean, just on a writing front this was... this was terrible. Really. The characters never spoke naturally, there were sentences that didn't make sense, and reading it was a frustrating experience just short of being a chore.

Oh, and that plot. ARRRRGH THAT PLOT. I don't even know. I don't even know. What even happened? I got that Matty could talk to her hawks
Joyce
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I founded this book in the library and borrowed it because it looked interesting and I was curious on how the ending would appear. As I was reading it, I wasn't very thrilled with the results. It wasn't bad but it wasn't the best. It could have been written better and it needed a more advancing romance between the characters Matty/Marian and Fynn/Robin. The beginning wasn't all bad but it was very plain and simple.

As I kept on reading, I was pretty amused with Matty. She had a stubborn attitude
Princessbugc
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: want-to-own
I loved this book! I tried to read it once before but it had to go back to the library before I got past chapter two. Then I put it on hold but it went off hold before I got there. So now that I finally got it I finished it in one day. It was amazing! As I got closer to the end and things weren't looking as good I was a little worried that it would end horribly and that I would not be satisfied with the book after waiting so long to get it but now that I have just finished it I am totally ...more
Jamie
Jan 23, 2010 rated it liked it
I read this book for two reasons. The first reason is that Adam begged me to read one of his young adult books, and the second reason is that I am a Robin Hood fan. I tried to abandon this book more than once. Adam told me to hang in there. Wow, that is an interesting reversal! I don't think that it is possible for me to care any less about birds and falconry. To say that the first one-third of the book is mostly about falconry would be a gross understatement. Adam was right once I got past that ...more
Bonnie
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I found this book by chance in the new books section of the Children’s Room (in Brookline). I’ve loved Kathryn Lasky’s historical fiction and this book was no exception. I read it as I was transitioning from Brookline back to Negril. Fortunately my yoga teacher from Brookline was visiting and could return it to the library. Such service!

This is a different take on the tale of Robin Hood and Maid Marion which includes the art of falconry. It’s historical fiction set in the 1100s with a dose of
Effie
Oct 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
I like to read different versions of folktales and fairy tales, but this story of Maid Marian and Robin Hood was just painful. Marian is intertwined with the hawks that her father raises, and eventually mind-melds with one as she is being held prisoner. I believe this bird/girl hybrid leads Robin and his band of teen boys to her rescue, but I couldn't be sure. By the end I was just skimming. Very painful.
Karalynn Shade
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book and am going to have to read it again it was so good. I love how the author changed the story of Robin Hood, but told it in a way I'd never heard before. Magic even gets put in, but it doesn't make it unbelievable. This book is great!
Heidi
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully crafted retelling of Robin Hood, from Maid Marian's perspective. I love the way that the author creates such a strong bond between the young falconress and her beloved hawks. A must read for all fantasy lovers!!!!!!!!
Kathy
Jul 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, historicalfiction
Interesting story, intertwined w/ falconry. Occasionally beautiful language. But because the time is so different, vocabulary and cultural differences need to be dealt with delicately, and Lasky had difficulty w/ this at times.
Daftwullie
Mar 03, 2011 rated it liked it
I would have loved reading this when I was in the 8-12 age range, but it is lacking in the universals that make it cross age boundaries. Still, a cute, wholesome read for young ladies who like a bit of adventure.
Audrey
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
The childhood of Robin Hood and his future gang, focusing on the girl who would become Maid Marian. Not only is she the true brains behind Robin Hood, she is also a falconer who can communicate almost telepathically with her hawks. Good for those who enjoyed Guardians of Ga'Hoole.
Magda
The "historical"-fiction/fantasy hawking side was pretty nice! The plot was great! The retelling-of-Robin-Hood and feminist Matty/Marian was awkward and didn't fit all that well.

Oh, and as pointed out in another review, there were no potatoes in 12th century England.
Eve Long
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing book! I could not put it down!
Chelsey
Dec 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Take everything you might like about the Robin Hood story, remove it, and fill in all the empty space with lectures on falconry.
Eva
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
Actual rating: 3.5

I almost knocked off a star because of the hawk-merging weirdness, but I do love me some Robin Hood stories and this one was quite good.
Adry Grace
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
First of all, anyone looking at this book expecting a mastermind work with the historically accuracy of a school textbook can just leave now. That is not what this book is and not what it is meant to be.
Now let me tell you what it is.
I found this book in middle school and read in a half dozen times in the two weeks I had it from the library. The book completely revolutionized my idea on Robin Hood, which before had been only a mildly interesting character in my mind.
Four years later, having
Rachel
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked the characterizations in this, for Robin Hood himself felt light-hearted, yet could be serious-minded, which is exactly what I want in a Robin Hood. And Marian was brave, intelligent... and a little bossy. I'm bossy myself, so I kinda liked that in her. Plus, she learns all about falconry, which means readers learn a lot about it too. The only other fiction book I can remember that touches on this subject is My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George, which I loved as a kid.

The one
Elizabeth
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Traditional Tale 3
Hawksmaid: The Untold Story of Robin Hood and Maid Marian was found on Librarything.com. I was excited to read this Ebook because I had a hard time finding books that take a twist on this traditional tale. Instead of focusing on Robin Hood, the story focuses on a female character Matty who has fallen on hard times since her father died. While the text is teen friendly, it introduces bigger ideas of corruption within powerful institutions. Another strength this text has is that
Karen
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
A young adult novel retelling the Robin Hood story from the perspective of Maid Marion, aka Matilda Fitzwalter. We meet Mattie when she's just 11-years-old, when her father's castle is attacked by nobles loyal to Prince John and her mother is killed. Over the next several years, times are hard for Mattie and the families of her friends: boys who would eventually adopt new names and become Robin Hood, Little John, Will Scarlet, etc. While haunted by her mother's death and suffering the pangs of ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
This book was OK?! 3 16 Sep 26, 2014 06:45AM

• Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection)
  • Just Ella (The Palace Chronicles, #1)
  • Ogre Enchanted (Ella Enchanted, #0.5)
  • Flight
  • The Scourge
  • Tiger's Voyage (The Tiger Saga, #3)
  • DragonSpell (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragon's Keep (Wilde Island Chronicles #1)
  • The Hero Next Door
  • Stitching Snow
  • Half Upon a Time (Half Upon a Time, #1)
  • The Great Ghost Rescue
  • The Rose Legacy (The Rose Legacy, #1)
  • Rising Above Shepherdsville
  • Twice Upon a Time (Half Upon a Time, #2)
  • NewsPrints (NewsPrints, #1)
  • Frost
Kathryn Lasky is the American author of many critically acclaimed books, including several Dear America books, several Royal Diaries books, 1984 Newbery Honor winning Sugaring Time, The Night Journey, and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series.

She was born June 24, 1944, and grew up in Indianapolis, Indiana, and is married to Christopher Knight, with whom she lives in Massachusetts.

Book 15, The War of
“The moment she entered she felt wrapped in a fragile golden light like a radiant mist that seemed to settle around her. What was it about the mews? she often wondered. It seemed to transform the simplest things, like stone and wood and the very air one breathed, into something different. When she crossed the threshold, she felt as if she had entered another world.” 0 likes