Start by marking “The Christmas Cookie Club” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Cookie Club

The Christmas Cookie Club

(Christmas Cookie Club #1)

Mark your calendar. It's the Christmas Cookie Club!

Every year on the first Monday of December, Marnie and her twelve closest girlfriends gather in the evening with batches of beautifully wrapped homemade cookies. Everyone has to bring a dish, a bottle of wine, and their stories. This year, the stories are especially important. Marnie's oldest daughter has a risky
Published October 20th 2009 by Atria Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Cookie Club, please sign up.
Nan No, Suprisingly no. Really no "German" cookies.…moreNo, Suprisingly no. Really no "German" cookies. (less)
Charla The main woman is Marnie and she's the leader of the club and narrator of the book. Each chapter focuses on one of the women so 12 ladies 12 chapters.

Start your review of The Christmas Cookie Club
Kori
Nov 11, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Ugh! I've been seeing all the new Christmas fiction coming out this time of year, and I was hoping for a light Christmas story to get me in the holiday spirit. This is not that book. Think cancer, dead babies, horrific accidents, family deaths, and domestic abuse. Each chapter starts with a recipe and tells the story of a club member. Between chapters are short histories of various baking ingredients (butter, sugar, flour, etc.) which are completely random and have nothing to do with the ...more
Jan
Sep 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is possibly the perfect book club book.
Every year, on the first Monday in December twelve women get together to share cookies, recipes and stories. The past year has been very eventful for many of the members. Some express joy, others sadness, and one the terrible loss of a son. They listen, laugh and cry. Their bond strengthens each of the women as they get ready to move on to another year and look forward to another Cookie Club meeting.
I loved the format. Each chapter highlights one of
Ivana Books Are Magic
With the Christmas season coming up, I feel like this is a good book to recommend. This book might have some flaws, but it also has a lot going from it, from touching stories to great recipes. It may not be a great work of literature, but it is a warm and a satisfying read. Moreover, The Christmas Cookie Club isn't exactly light reading. This novel deals with some serious issues and problems. I think I expected a light book and book about Christmas but this novel offered more than easy holiday ...more
Nicky
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
A true chicklit filled with heartwarming friendships between women and lovely cookie recipes. Even though I only awarded two stars, I enjoyed reading it. The reason that I found this book merely ok is because I did not feel the emotions of the characters. There are so many of them, it's difficult to create a mental picture for each of them (which I reckon is absolutely needed to be able relate to the characters).

However, it's a fun quick read and does get one in the christmas and baking spirit!
Megan
Nov 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
I hate books that are about horrible people. This book could have been so uplifting, but everyone in it is either having an affair, thinking of having an affair, or their spouse is having an affair. Disgusting! It does come with recipes that I would like to try, though.
Michelle
Dec 21, 2009 rated it did not like it
I have no idea how this book made its way to "best seller" lists and the shelves of mass market media places like Target. The first 2 chapters were good, even promising...but after that it takes a very, very sharp turn. So much information about too many characters is thrown at you so quickly, it is nearly impossible to keep up...I likened it to what it would be like if a book threw up. I rarely part with a book, even if I know I'm not going to read it again...but this one is most definitely ...more
Debbie Evancic
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, recipes
Marnie has an annual Christmas party with rules. She invites 12 of her friends and they are to bring a bottle of wine, a dish, and 13 dozen cookies. One dozen will go to hospice and the other cookies will be handed out to the other guests. If you cannot attend the party you must send the cookies. You must also bring the recipe and tell a story as to why you choose that particular cookie.

This has been their tradition. The ladies have shared so many joys in their lives and appreciate the passage
Cheryl
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
It is that time of year again. Time for Marnie’s annual Christmas Cookie Club. There are eight rules but the most important one is number 7. Which states: It’s always on the first Monday in December (referencing to the annual Christmas Cookie Club). Put it on your calendar and count on it.

There are several new ladies joining the group this year. Marnie can not wait to visit with her friends, share memories, eat food, and of course munching on cookies. The only thing that would make this day
Ange H
Dec 21, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
Christmas 2018 - Naughty

No. Just no. DNF'd very quickly.

With a title like "The Christmas Cookie Club" one might be forgiven for assuming this would be a lighthearted holiday read. Not so much. Within the first few minutes I listened in horror to a litany of multiple miscarriages; premature death from leukemia; adultery; and a divorce.

Happy Freaking Holidays.

PLUS, when I read unnecessary boring details, I often joke about the author writing, "Then I inhaled. Then I exhaled." I shit you not, in
Lesley
Dec 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
I gave up on this 2.5 chapters in, when I got a several page tutorial about flour at the start of chapter 1, and then a tutorial about almonds at the start of chapter 2.

After each of the tutorials, the book seems to get even more confused about its genre, as there were then several pages for the cookie recipes.

I can only assume that each chapter was the same, with 12 members of the cookie club - therefore 10 more of these tutorials and recipes to go.

The actual story seemed quite promising, but
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
May 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
"The Christmas Cookie Club" is a short novel which takes place on one December evening. The event is the annual Christmas Cookie party where twelve women exchange cookies and donate some for charity. Each cookie delivery comes with a story, a recipe and a few historical facts about the ingredients. The host of the event is Marnie, who started the club, created the rules and has had a complex life herself.

Even though each chapter is supposed to be about the woman presenting the cookies, it isn't
Shoshanah
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Each year Marnie hosts 11 other friend for a Christmas cookie club. There are rules about how many cookies they need to make (13 dozen- 1 for each member and 1 for charity), what types of cookies they can make (no chocolate chip cookies), and how they must be packaged (creatively, of course). Some women have participated every year of its existence. Others are only able to attend for a few years before moving on. The woman ages span several decades, difference finances, married, single, widowed, ...more
Lisa
Oct 25, 2009 rated it did not like it
The opening line of this book is pretty good, I have to admit:

I am the head cookie bitch and this is my party.

And the premise for the book is also not bad. Every year a group of twelve diverse women gather to exchange cookies that they bake along with the latest happenings in their lives. As can be expected with this kind of story each woman has something unique to bring to the table like: one has adopted a baby internationally, one has a father who is having an affair with her bestfriend, the
Stephanie
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, reviewed
3.5/5

This is the story of 12 women who meet up every December for a cookie exchange. Each brings cookies to exchange, as well as well as a year full of stories and (a lot of) heartache. The story is narrated by Marnie, the “head cookie bitch,” and the host of the annual party. A lot of the story is centered around her life. She has two pregnant daughters, one an unwed eighteen year old, and the other in her 20’s who has had a tough time with her pregnancies. Each chapter is about a different
Dana Wright
I love this book. The fun started for me last Christmas when I came across The Christmas Cookie Club by Ann Pearlman. It centers around a group of ladies that gather every Christmas season to make and exchange cookies. It sounds perfectly simple, but there are some rules for cookie club hopefuls. The publisher sent me this book in exchange for an honest review and I fell in love with it at first read. The warm of the authors, Ann Pearlman and Marybeth Bayer shines through the whole book.

This
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
From the beginning, I fell in love with Marnie the main character and her group of friends. The friends were diverse and from all walks of life which gave the book a realism because we pick up friends in our lives through many different ways. As I prepare for my first cookie exchange this year, I loved reading how organized and committed these ladies were to this yearly tradition.

Marnie has quite a group of ladies that surround her. From a new co-grandma to a friend from high school, she
Kristen
Dec 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
There were so many things wrong with this book! I really wanted to love this book but it just fell flat.
1-The story is told about 12 women but only one woman tells that story. Somehow she is part of everything in everyone's life. Also, while she would be describing something important in another woman's life, she would wander into her own life and make it all about her. It was quite annoying.
2- I can't even count how many times she mentioned the little wine glass ornaments that distinguish
Katherine
Dec 07, 2011 rated it liked it
After reading this book I can't wait for next year and start a "Christmas Cookie Club". The parts I enjoyed most about the book were the recipes, the rules and idea of the club, and information between each chapter regarding ingredients used such as sugar, flour etc.

The parts I disliked most were the telling of each persons history, the narrator always got side tracked and started telling her story again. This is a non-Christian based book but yet when difficulty entered into someones life they
Ellinor
The book is about a group of women meeting each year in a Christmas Cookie Club where they share cookies and stories. Actually a nice idea. But there were just too many characters for the lenght of the novel. None of them - except maybe for the narrator - was able to develop properly and it was a bit difficult to remember who was who.
Stella
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, christmas-read
A very emotional and nice read, but don't be mislead by the bluish chick lit cover this is not a light HEA romantic chick lit, this is a women fiction drama novel, with lots of grief and tough lives (cancer, abortion, cheating, etc.), but very nicely done, a heartwarming, wonderful read for the holidays.

Debra
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it
This story reminds me of the book group I'm in, so that fact may "cause" me like the book more than some others. I just love the celebration of women friends. Btw, MY women friends are the BEST ever.
Helena
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a lovely read! I really thought this was a delightful book, filled with shared love, loss, death, life and the wonder of friendship. And I think the idea of a cookie club is deliscious!
Patti
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fun read. After reading this I was inspired to start an anuual cookie club and hope it may continue for years to come.
Amy Pendergrass
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I was pleasantly surprised with this book. The premise sounded good but I didn't really have many expectations going in. I actually thought it was just going to be a cute Christmas themed story, but I found it actually had more depth than that. I enjoyed how the recipes were interwoven in the story. I'm glad this ended up being my final book of the year as reading a book about strong female friendships is always a good thing.
Catherine
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Too much!14 characters, all with some sort of problem or story. History of ingredients, recipes, take up a lot of the story. The bond between these women made the book worth reading.
Chloe
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every year, Marnie and her 12 friends meet for the annual meeting of The Cookie Club which happens on the first Monday of December every year without fail. The friends have been there for each other through a lot of ups and downs, and that’s not about the change any time soon.

During the meeting, lots of secrets are revealed that shock the friends to the core. Marnie is waiting to hear from her pregnant daughter Sky about whether the baby is viable, Charlene is still struggling to get over the
Claudia
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
the history/ info on the ingredients was informative and the story was good.
Meg
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
A little too saccharine for me
Melissa Storm
Sep 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Preview… "The Christmas Cookie Club" recounts the interwoven stories of Marnie and eleven of her closest girlfriends. Together they form the cookie club, a holiday institution. Our narrator, Marnie, tells us stories of each woman as she presents—stories of how Marnie first got to know her, stories of the troubles that each woman faces, stories of how she is working to overcome her setbacks. Our friends at the Christmas Cookie Club have all faced some pretty big problems in their day—lost jobs, ...more
Beth Roberts
Ugh. I tried. I really did, but this is a dnf for me. I can't hack the last little bit, so at 85% I quit.

This was written by a Pulitzer Prize nominee, though not for this book.

I got this for $1 at a library used book sale. I would really like my $1 back.

I picked this up because the holidays were coming and I got caught up in a "sweet" moment of wanting to connect with other women and traditions.

Ugh. I could go on all day with examples of why I did not like this book.
It is so over-the-top in
2017 Reading Chal...: The Christmas Cookie Club 1 20 Mar 04, 2015 11:01AM

• A Gift to Remember
  • Christmas in the Snow
  • Pismo gospođe Vilme
  • Find Me
  • The Aviary Gate (The Aviary Gate #1)
  • The Christmas Boutique (Elm Creek Quilts #21)
  • The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe
  • Pensionado's
  • A Season for the Dead (Nic Costa, #1)
  • Lijstjes maken
  • The Little Village School
  • Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop
  • The Littlest Christmas Tree
  • Christmas Cakes and Mistletoe Nights
Ann Pearlman was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award for INFIDELITY which was also made into a Lifetime movie. Her first novel, THE CHRISTMAS COOKIE CLUB has been translated into 6 languages and is a national and international bestseller. A GIFT FOR MY SISTER, following characters first introduced in The Christmas Cookie Club won a prize for best fiction. THE LOTTERY, the ...more

Christmas Cookie Club (3 books)
  • A Gift for My Sister
  • The Lottery
“I am the head cookie bitch and this is my party.” 16 likes
“Pero ahora me pregunto por qué nos empeñamos en creer que una vida completa debe durar por lo menos ochenta años y que cualquier cosa por debajo de eso es un timo” 0 likes