Start by marking “The Christmas Cookie Club” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Cookie Club

The Christmas Cookie Club

(Christmas Cookie Club #1)

Mark your calendar. It's the Christmas Cookie Club!

Every year on the first Monday of December, Marnie and her twelve closest girlfriends gather in the evening with batches of beautifully wrapped homemade cookies. Everyone has to bring a dish, a bottle of wine, and their stories. This year, the stories are especially important. Marnie's oldest daughter has a risky
Published October 20th 2009 by Atria Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Cookie Club, please sign up.
Nan No, Suprisingly no. Really no "German" cookies.…moreNo, Suprisingly no. Really no "German" cookies. (less)
Charla The main woman is Marnie and she's the leader of the club and narrator of the book. Each chapter focuses on one of the women so 12 ladies 12 chapters.

Start your review of The Christmas Cookie Club
Kori
Nov 11, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Ugh! I've been seeing all the new Christmas fiction coming out this time of year, and I was hoping for a light Christmas story to get me in the holiday spirit. This is not that book. Think cancer, dead babies, horrific accidents, family deaths, and domestic abuse. Each chapter starts with a recipe and tells the story of a club member. Between chapters are short histories of various baking ingredients (butter, sugar, flour, etc.) which are completely random and have nothing to do with the ...more
Jan
Sep 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is possibly the perfect book club book.
Every year, on the first Monday in December twelve women get together to share cookies, recipes and stories. The past year has been very eventful for many of the members. Some express joy, others sadness, and one the terrible loss of a son. They listen, laugh and cry. Their bond strengthens each of the women as they get ready to move on to another year and look forward to another Cookie Club meeting.
I loved the format. Each chapter highlights one of
Ivana Books Are Magic
With the Christmas season coming up, I feel like this is a good book to recommend. This book might have some flaws, but it also has a lot going from it, from touching stories to great recipes. It may not be a great work of literature, but it is a warm and a satisfying read. Moreover, The Christmas Cookie Club isn't exactly light reading. This novel deals with some serious issues and problems. I think I expected a light book and book about Christmas but this novel offered more than easy holiday ...more
Nicky
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
A true chicklit filled with heartwarming friendships between women and lovely cookie recipes. Even though I only awarded two stars, I enjoyed reading it. The reason that I found this book merely ok is because I did not feel the emotions of the characters. There are so many of them, it's difficult to create a mental picture for each of them (which I reckon is absolutely needed to be able relate to the characters).

However, it's a fun quick read and does get one in the christmas and baking spirit!
Megan
Nov 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
I hate books that are about horrible people. This book could have been so uplifting, but everyone in it is either having an affair, thinking of having an affair, or their spouse is having an affair. Disgusting! It does come with recipes that I would like to try, though.
Michelle
Dec 21, 2009 rated it did not like it
I have no idea how this book made its way to "best seller" lists and the shelves of mass market media places like Target. The first 2 chapters were good, even promising...but after that it takes a very, very sharp turn. So much information about too many characters is thrown at you so quickly, it is nearly impossible to keep up...I likened it to what it would be like if a book threw up. I rarely part with a book, even if I know I'm not going to read it again...but this one is most definitely ...more
Debbie Evancic
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, recipes
Marnie has an annual Christmas party with rules. She invites 12 of her friends and they are to bring a bottle of wine, a dish, and 13 dozen cookies. One dozen will go to hospice and the other cookies will be handed out to the other guests. If you cannot attend the party you must send the cookies. You must also bring the recipe and tell a story as to why you choose that particular cookie.

This has been their tradition. The ladies have shared so many joys in their lives and appreciate the passage
Cheryl
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
It is that time of year again. Time for Marnie’s annual Christmas Cookie Club. There are eight rules but the most important one is number 7. Which states: It’s always on the first Monday in December (referencing to the annual Christmas Cookie Club). Put it on your calendar and count on it.

There are several new ladies joining the group this year. Marnie can not wait to visit with her friends, share memories, eat food, and of course munching on cookies. The only thing that would make this day
Dana Wright
I love this book. The fun started for me last Christmas when I came across The Christmas Cookie Club by Ann Pearlman. It centers around a group of ladies that gather every Christmas season to make and exchange cookies. It sounds perfectly simple, but there are some rules for cookie club hopefuls. The publisher sent me this book in exchange for an honest review and I fell in love with it at first read. The warm of the authors, Ann Pearlman and Marybeth Bayer shines through the whole book.

This
Ange H
Dec 21, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
Christmas 2018 - Naughty

No. Just no. DNF'd very quickly.

With a title like "The Christmas Cookie Club" one might be forgiven for assuming this would be a lighthearted holiday read. Not so much. Within the first few minutes I listened in horror to a litany of multiple miscarriages; premature death from leukemia; adultery; and a divorce.

Happy Freaking Holidays.

PLUS, when I read unnecessary boring details, I often joke about the author writing, "Then I inhaled. Then I exhaled." I shit you not, in
Lesley
Dec 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
I gave up on this 2.5 chapters in, when I got a several page tutorial about flour at the start of chapter 1, and then a tutorial about almonds at the start of chapter 2.

After each of the tutorials, the book seems to get even more confused about its genre, as there were then several pages for the cookie recipes.

I can only assume that each chapter was the same, with 12 members of the cookie club - therefore 10 more of these tutorials and recipes to go.

The actual story seemed quite promising, but
Karen
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am giving it 1.5 stars I thought I had read it before but it just wasn't what I thought it would be. Nothing to do with Christmas at all. I didn't connect with any characters. The whole book is just the day of this cookie club meeting/party. Everyone women having an issue but no real depth in any of the issues or their story.
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
May 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
"The Christmas Cookie Club" is a short novel which takes place on one December evening. The event is the annual Christmas Cookie party where twelve women exchange cookies and donate some for charity. Each cookie delivery comes with a story, a recipe and a few historical facts about the ingredients. The host of the event is Marnie, who started the club, created the rules and has had a complex life herself.

Even though each chapter is supposed to be about the woman presenting the cookies, it isn't
Shoshanah
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Each year Marnie hosts 11 other friend for a Christmas cookie club. There are rules about how many cookies they need to make (13 dozen- 1 for each member and 1 for charity), what types of cookies they can make (no chocolate chip cookies), and how they must be packaged (creatively, of course). Some women have participated every year of its existence. Others are only able to attend for a few years before moving on. The woman ages span several decades, difference finances, married, single, widowed, ...more
Rebecca
Sep 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Based on a real club, 12 women meet each year, bring cookies and share stories.
I was sad at the amount of infidelity that occurred in marriages. These women live in a very different world than most of the people I interact with. I need to get out even MORE so I can embrace these kind of women and shine LIGHT into their worlds.

The confusion and warped philosophy about relationships and religion reminded me how truly blessed I am to live in my peaceful little faith-filled home.

I thought it was
Lisa
Oct 25, 2009 rated it did not like it
The opening line of this book is pretty good, I have to admit:

I am the head cookie bitch and this is my party.

And the premise for the book is also not bad. Every year a group of twelve diverse women gather to exchange cookies that they bake along with the latest happenings in their lives. As can be expected with this kind of story each woman has something unique to bring to the table like: one has adopted a baby internationally, one has a father who is having an affair with her bestfriend, the
Stephanie
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, reviewed
3.5/5

This is the story of 12 women who meet up every December for a cookie exchange. Each brings cookies to exchange, as well as well as a year full of stories and (a lot of) heartache. The story is narrated by Marnie, the “head cookie bitch,” and the host of the annual party. A lot of the story is centered around her life. She has two pregnant daughters, one an unwed eighteen year old, and the other in her 20’s who has had a tough time with her pregnancies. Each chapter is about a different
Kristen
Dec 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
There were so many things wrong with this book! I really wanted to love this book but it just fell flat.
1-The story is told about 12 women but only one woman tells that story. Somehow she is part of everything in everyone's life. Also, while she would be describing something important in another woman's life, she would wander into her own life and make it all about her. It was quite annoying.
2- I can't even count how many times she mentioned the little wine glass ornaments that distinguish
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
From the beginning, I fell in love with Marnie the main character and her group of friends. The friends were diverse and from all walks of life which gave the book a realism because we pick up friends in our lives through many different ways. As I prepare for my first cookie exchange this year, I loved reading how organized and committed these ladies were to this yearly tradition.

Marnie has quite a group of ladies that surround her. From a new co-grandma to a friend from high school, she
Katherine
Dec 07, 2011 rated it liked it
After reading this book I can't wait for next year and start a "Christmas Cookie Club". The parts I enjoyed most about the book were the recipes, the rules and idea of the club, and information between each chapter regarding ingredients used such as sugar, flour etc.

The parts I disliked most were the telling of each persons history, the narrator always got side tracked and started telling her story again. This is a non-Christian based book but yet when difficulty entered into someones life they
Ellinor
The book is about a group of women meeting each year in a Christmas Cookie Club where they share cookies and stories. Actually a nice idea. But there were just too many characters for the lenght of the novel. None of them - except maybe for the narrator - was able to develop properly and it was a bit difficult to remember who was who.
Stella
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas-read, 2010
A very emotional and nice read, but don't be mislead by the bluish chick lit cover this is not a light HEA romantic chick lit, this is a women fiction drama novel, with lots of grief and tough lives (cancer, abortion, cheating, etc.), but very nicely done, a heartwarming, wonderful read for the holidays.

Debra
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it
This story reminds me of the book group I'm in, so that fact may "cause" me like the book more than some others. I just love the celebration of women friends. Btw, MY women friends are the BEST ever.
Helena
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a lovely read! I really thought this was a delightful book, filled with shared love, loss, death, life and the wonder of friendship. And I think the idea of a cookie club is deliscious!
Patti
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fun read. After reading this I was inspired to start an anuual cookie club and hope it may continue for years to come.
Lori
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas, fiction
Save yourself some time and just copy the cookie recipes and check out the discussion of various baking ingredients ( wheat,salt,sugar,spices). Skip the boring story of the dozen friends baking a baker's dozen of Christmas cookies. It's filled with minutia (she stood up . She replaced the empty bowl. It was snowing.) repeatations of '"I love you " and "I love you ,too" between the girlfriends and recaps of all manner of horrors each member has experienced in the year. Infidelity, graphic, freak ...more
Amy Pendergrass
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I was pleasantly surprised with this book. The premise sounded good but I didn't really have many expectations going in. I actually thought it was just going to be a cute Christmas themed story, but I found it actually had more depth than that. I enjoyed how the recipes were interwoven in the story. I'm glad this ended up being my final book of the year as reading a book about strong female friendships is always a good thing.
Catherine
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Too much!14 characters, all with some sort of problem or story. History of ingredients, recipes, take up a lot of the story. The bond between these women made the book worth reading.
Chloe
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every year, Marnie and her 12 friends meet for the annual meeting of The Cookie Club which happens on the first Monday of December every year without fail. The friends have been there for each other through a lot of ups and downs, and that’s not about the change any time soon.

During the meeting, lots of secrets are revealed that shock the friends to the core. Marnie is waiting to hear from her pregnant daughter Sky about whether the baby is viable, Charlene is still struggling to get over the
Claudia
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
the history/ info on the ingredients was informative and the story was good.
2017 Reading Chal...: The Christmas Cookie Club 1 21 Mar 04, 2015 11:01AM

• Christmas in the Snow
  • A Gift to Remember
  • Bukača
  • The Christmas Cookie Collection (Twilight, Texas, #4.1)
  • The Christmas Boutique (Elm Creek Quilts #21)
  • The Mistletoe Matchmaker (Finfarran #3)
  • A Novel Christmas
  • The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe
  • Skipping Christmas
  • As Close As Sisters
  • Finding Christmas
  • Cape Light (Cape Light #1)
  • The Wedding Promise
  • whiskey words and a shovel (1)
  • Christmas at Rosie Hopkins’ Sweetshop (Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop, #2)
  • Rhythms of Renewal: Trading Stress and Anxiety for a Life of Peace and Purpose
  • Murder Park
  • De bruid in de sneeuw
Ann Pearlman was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award for INFIDELITY which was also made into a Lifetime movie. Her first novel, THE CHRISTMAS COOKIE CLUB has been translated into 6 languages and is a national and international bestseller. A GIFT FOR MY SISTER, following characters first introduced in The Christmas Cookie Club won a prize for best fiction. THE LOTTERY, the ...more

Christmas Cookie Club (3 books)
  • A Gift for My Sister
  • The Lottery
“I am the head cookie bitch and this is my party.” 16 likes
“Pero ahora me pregunto por qué nos empeñamos en creer que una vida completa debe durar por lo menos ochenta años y que cualquier cosa por debajo de eso es un timo” 0 likes