Start by marking “Heroes” as Want to Read:
Heroes

Heroes

"Next to the Holy Scriptures, the greatest aid to the life of faith may be Christian biographies" - A.W. Tozer. Herein Iain Murray provides keen insight into several dear saints whom he has come to especially admire.
Published August 1st 2009 by Banner of Truth (first published April 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heroes

Donna Gabbard
I especially enjoyed reading the chapter on George Whitefield and Christian Unity. A few quotes from this chapter:
"Catholicity is the feeling generated in every true believer; it is seen in a readiness to love and embrace all who belong to Jesus Christ." (unity of believers)
"Catholicity means that loyalty to the gospel will always take precedence over loyalty to my denomination."
"....a mark of the new birth is the special love that a believer has for all believers."
"I exhorted them to love and u
Chris
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! Iain Murray is quickly becoming my favorite biographer! There are numerous sections of this book I want to remember for my own instruction and edification - but two quick references from his final chapter on Spurgeon, (1) Spurgeon embraced the 'doctrines of grace' as biblically faithful truth, and it is undeniable that these truths set his heart in greater awe of God's mercy and the saving work of Jesus Christ, which underwrote the fervor of his evangelistic passion. However, he rec ...more
Jim
Oct 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love Iain Murray's writing . . . . and his choice of subjects. This is a wonderful read, primarily because of his introduction of a few unknown saints, whose impacts for Christ's kingdom were significant. I especially appreciated his account of Charles and Mary Colcock Jones, early missionaries to the black slaves of the South before the Civil War. A fascinating story, that helped me understand the love of the slaves for the "One Who came to serve and give His Life a ransom for many." HIghly r ...more
Mark A Powell
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Touching on the lives of eight men God has used powerfully throughout the past, Murray biographically recounts their ministries and spheres of influences in deft manner. Not only are his accounts well-researched, they flow smoothly even when skimming past large periods of time. Also helpful is the way in which Murray uncovers the larger theological frameworks driving these men to serve in the way they did. While not complete biographies, these sketches serve as powerful testimonials.
Joseph
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
An encouraging and engaging set of historical narratives about famous and not-so-famous heroes of the faith. Obscure saints get a fairly full treatment, while the. More "famous" ones receive a focus on particular aspect of the or lives. For example Spurgeon as an evangelist is the focus, while we get a more full exploration of Charles & Mary Colcock Jones. Well worth the time and money.
Jason
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I particularly enjoyed learning about Charles Colcock Jones.
Dave
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, biography
EXCELLENT, short stories about people whom the world is not worthy, but whom the world has largely not heard of.

I'll be reading this one again...
Rebekah Thompson
Nov 20, 2015
Patrick Lewis
Aug 18, 2016
Drew Cunningham
An excellent, power packed book that will be a good introduction to Christian biography or a good refresher/encourager on many of these great Christian saints. Worth your time to read and be challenged by those who have gone before us in faithfulness.
Nathan Moore
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ian Murray is a master biographer in long or short form. These 7 biographical sketches were no exception. Some better than others. My favorite was a new name to me: Charles Colcock, the white plantation owner who took the Gospel to the slaves.
Luke D
Dec 27, 2016
Shay
Jun 21, 2013
Sam Petruc
Oct 23, 2011
Douglas A
Jan 07, 2019
Iain Hamish Murray is a British pastor and author. He was educated in the Isle of Man and at the University of Durham before entering ministry in 1955. He served as assistant to Martyn Lloyd-Jones at Westminster Chapel (1956–59) and subsequently at Grove Chapel, London (1961–69) and St. Giles Presbyterian Church, Sydney, Australia, (1981–84). In 1957 he and Jack Cullum founded the Reformed publish ...more