Start by marking “The Ragged Man (Twilight Reign, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Ragged Man (Twilight Reign, #4)

The Ragged Man (Twilight Reign #4)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  868 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Continuing the powerful epic that started with THE STORMCALLER; the Lord Isak is dead, his armies and entire tribe in disarray. It falls to King Emin to continue the war alone, and the Menin are only too happy to meet his challenge. In Byora, Ruhen is developing his 'Saviour' persona. The Harlequins start preaching in his name and many of the pilgrims who flock to him are ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Gollancz (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Ragged Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ragged Man

James
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I felt about the same with this book as I did with the last one. This series has so much unused potential that it drives me crazy! The setting is potentially awesome, so many of the characters are set up to be really interesting (if they ever did anything noteworthy), and the plot crawls when it could tear away from the rest of the crowd and be miles ahead. But it doesn't. Instead it's just okay.

It needs more explanation of the important stuff and way less of what is just fluff. I don't know wha
Luke Van Wegen
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lloyd continues his detailed action filled format where powerful yet flawed 'anti-heroes' stalk the pages leaving the reader constantly shifting alliances.
The Ragged Man takes up immediately after the shattering conclusion of The Grave Thief. The 'What has gone before', and invaluable opening to all Lloyd's novels. As in the previous novels, Lloyd spins a complex web of intregue that captures the reader within there own ideas and assumptions, before jerking the strands together in the final pag
Nels Paulson
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This epic continues with a narrowing to only 6 or 7 plots flowing through the series. Lloyd paints a confusing picture in his world that manages at each turn to throw another unexpected twist into the fold. None of them seem to have been done simply to throw another wrench in the system either. Each twist by the end starts adding a little clarity to what is happening in the world. While finally I can say I know who some of the good and the bad are, I as of yet only have theories as to how some p ...more
Noelle
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book - very well written; I read the last half in less than a day. I simply could not stop. Can't wait till the Dusk Watchman comes out!
Reader73
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Best in the series so far!
Kelly Flanagan
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book! Especially since I was given it out of the blue. I had not heard of this series before, but after reading this book I ant to start at the beginning! The characters, world building and whole premise of th series is phenomenal to grasp. Only sorry I had not read the first 3.
This review is short and sweet so I can leave a full one after reading the books in order.
Stretch's Books
"The Ragged Man" is book four of Tom Lloyd "The Twilight Reign" series. It is also, by far, the best book of the series so far. The action in "The Ragged Man" picks up much faster than the previous three, and manages to hold the momentum all the way through. While "The Grave Thief" was slow to get going, as was "The Twilight Herald", book two, "The Ragged Man" thankfully does not suffer from that pitfall. Making the read much easier and a lot more fun.

In this installment of the series we final
Pavlo Tverdokhlib
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
"Grave Thief" was the book that took the series from "this may have some promise" to "hey, this is actually pretty good" territory. "Ragged Man" makes that go to "Damn, this is good!"

Reasons for this, at least for me? Well, for starters--even LESS Isak. And at this pint, the naive Mary-Sue from bks 1+2 who was to be "THE CHOSEN ONE" has been thoroughly subverted. Isak gets a lot better as a character the less Lloyd makes him talk and learn. On top of this, the focus shifts away from Isak--at thi
Đenis
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Drsné, kruté, temné. Styrax ako živelná sila je nezastaviteľný so svojou obrou armádou a zrovnáva so zemou všetko, čo sa mu nepodvolí. Kráľ Emin je posledná možnosť, ako ho zastaviť a tak sa začínajú prípravy na poslednú veľkú bitku. Napriek tomu zostáva ešte dosť príbehových línií otvorených a ich rozuzlenie čaká v poslednom diele série.
Kati
So much potential - and most of it wasted. Instead of focusing on a handful of characters in-depth, the author uses dozens of them and barely touches upon them, mostly he just introduces them and hints at their greatness only to kill them off or let them fall aside, forgotten - General Lahk's twin brother? Also, it felt like there were chunks of the book missing: in one chapter, Doranei and his men were surrounded and facing certain annihilation, several chapters later, he was all safe and sound ...more
Laethir
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In some areas the plot progressed more than I though, in some areas less than I thought it would in this book of the series. The book did leave some things open for the next one, but not too many for my taste and the plot wasn't cut at a cliché like end, how I almost expected it to do, so it was a positive surprise on the last pages, that the plot was not cut like that, not only and exclusively to make you buy the next book, but at a point where it was appropriate.

There are some decisions of the
Katrina Evans
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This. This book shows what Tom Lloyd is capable of.

For me, it's lost the spiky petulance that marred the first three books and the series gains a whole new layer of flavour.

I love that the pace is has slowed down a bit, enough that we can get to know the characters more. This book reveals more about motivations of most of the parties and delivers a much more intense story as a result.

I'm really looking forward to the Dusk Watchman.
Wilfred Berkhof
This great series continues. I definitely enjoyed it and all the spectacle/violence was turned up a notch, but I felt there was less tension and excitement than in the previous two books. And the big climax fell kind of flat I felt. So all in all a good continuation of the series, but not at the same really high standard as the previous two.
Susana789
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Myslím, že táto séria doteraz nemala hluché miesto, ale štvrtý diel bol zatiaľ jednoznačne najlepší. Autor sa poučil z úspešných fantasy sérií, má pomerne invenčné nápady. Opisné pasáže sú pomerne dynamické a akčné, príbehové línie sa pomerne pekne zbiehajú. Svojich hrdinov ani čitateľov nešetrí, ani ich sústredenie a pamäť :-).
Steve
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Builds the main story up nicely, in preparation for the final volume and provides a conclusion to a number of story-threads. Some of the secondary characters feel a little short-changed, but hard to imagine how they could get more story-time without adding more pages/books.
Harun
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting the end at all. It was a real page turner, once I started it almost pained me to put the book down.
JL Lucaban
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-love
Wooooooo, Gods, I can't Believe it !!! I seriously love this one now.
Adrian Leaf
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty epic stuff, one of the major plot lines comes to a conclusion in this book; Just have to see how the rest of it all comes together in the final book.
Chris Byron
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Hannah
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once more a fantastic book. Am really enjoying this series and can't wait for the next instalment.
Dubois Gordon
Kim
May 18, 2012
Adrian
Oct 12, 2013
  • The Scarab Path (Shadows of the Apt, #5)
  • Elfsorrow (Legends of the Raven, #1)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • The Bone Palace (The Necromancer Chronicles, #2)
  • The Rats and the Ruling Sea (The Chathrand Voyage, #2)
  • The Uncrowned King (King Rolen's Kin, #2)
  • This Crooked Way (Morlock Ambrosius, #2)
  • The King of the Crags (The Memory of Flames, #2)
  • The Shattered Crown (Steelhaven, #2)
  • In the Earth Abides the Flame (Fire of Heaven, #2)
Tom Lloyd was born in 1979 and showed almost no interest in writing until the age of eighteen. I blame the teachers myself.

Nevertheless he did eventually find himself with a long summer to spare before university, and decided to start a novel when it was suggested he get a job to pass the time. This tells you much of what there is to know about him. The rest can be derived from the fact that he fi
More about Tom Lloyd...

Twilight Reign (5 books)
  • The Stormcaller (Twilight Reign, #1)
  • The Twilight Herald (Twilight Reign, #2)
  • The Grave Thief (Twilight Reign, #3)
  • The Dusk Watchman (Twilight Reign, #5)

“History is not a map to be read, nor a path to be followed. It is a landscape of contours and textures, of colours and sounds.” 1 likes