Start by marking “The ABC Murders” as Want to Read:
The ABC Murders

The ABC Murders (Hercule Poirot #13)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  61,511 Ratings  ·  2,416 Reviews
Alice Ascher, a shopkeeper in Andover, is bludgeoned to death at her place of work. Next to die is Miss Bernard in Bexhill, then Mr. Clarke in Churston. More disturbing than the alphabetic sequence of the killings or the ABC Railway guide that the killer leaves at the crime scenes are the taunting notes warning Hercule Poirot before each murder.

Bantam Agatha Christie Hard
Hardcover, The Agatha Christie Mystery Collection, 207 pages
Published April 1983 by Bantam Dell (first published January 6th 1936)

To ask other readers questions about The ABC Murders, please sign up.

Alexandra Of course you can! You may be confused about the characters appearances to some extent. However all you have to do to fix that problem, is look up a…moreOf course you can! You may be confused about the characters appearances to some extent. However all you have to do to fix that problem, is look up a quick description online. Christie does an excellent job of allowing to book to be picked up and read by a person who has no experience of the series. (less)
Louie Mattox You can purchase a copy online through another website/at a store or you can get it through the Library. Because you cannot read books on goodreads,…moreYou can purchase a copy online through another website/at a store or you can get it through the Library. Because you cannot read books on goodreads, you can only read about books, authors and reviews of books.(less)

Adina
Back when I had an Audible subscription I acquired 2 literature courses and one of them is called The Secrets of Great Mystery and Suspense Fiction. It is a history of the genre and its many ramifications. There are quite a few books mentioned and I am planning to read most of them as they appear in the lectures. Since Agatha Christie is one of the most important personalities in the history of Crime fiction (among Poe, Doyle, Hammett and Chandler) her works are extensively present in these lect ...more
Jason Koivu
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, detective
Agatha Christie is such a crafty devil that midway through a novel she might have you believing that YOU are the murderer!

Indeed, The ABC Murders uses slight-of-hand most deftly. Again, I was thrown off the scent of the real killer and was ready to blame others. I feel a bit foolish when she dangles bait in front of me, and although I guess it for what it is, I take it anyway. And yet, if ever it felt good to be played the fool, it's while reading a cracking good mystery.

Ah, but never fear, Her
Valerie
Dec 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Geometry Students
Recommended to Valerie by: Grandma
Shelves: math
I try to get my math students to read mysteries, because the logical skills of finding a pattern and using inductive and deductive reasoning are often skillfully laid out. If you've read this book, you know why its one that I use to illustrate that point in my class. Sadly, the point is underappreciated by my high school students.
Ginger
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book starts off with a methodical, serial killer sending Hercule Poirot a letter of a future murder! Did a person just die and how do they find the victim?

Enter the mind of the great Agatha Christie.

I loved that Agatha Christie went in a completely new direction with this plot. She usually does a singular murder, not a manhunt on stopping a serial killer.

The last part of the book made this a 4-star book for me!
It was lagging in the middle for me. I didn’t think the serial killer was who we w
Aditi
“Our weapon is our knowledge. But remember, it may be a knowledge we may not know that we possess.”

----Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie, the Queen of Mystery, has spun and extremely intriguing crime fiction and the thirteenth tale from her Hercule Poirot series called, The A.B.C. Murders that revolves around the anonymous letters stating as well as challenging Poirot that a murder will take place in the alphabetical order in a random town, and that intrigues the clever Poirot to come out of his
Shobhit Sharad
Agatha Christie is a WITCH! I don't know how but she manages to confound me EVERY TIME I read one of her books. Specially, with this one. You're going with the story, reading with a flow, building up to the climax, and then suddenly whatever you were thinking is snatched away from you, and you begin to look at the things in a way that you never thought of until now.

And to do her justice, not only was this story (and any of her others) thrilling, but it had an element of reality better than most
Miriam
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
These alphabetical serial murders are a bit different from the usual Christie crimes -- or ARE they?

For once I solved the murder before the end. My little gray cells must be working harder...or I've simply read enough of these stories to be a better guesser.
Amy | shoutame
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Agatha Christie is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors and definitely a go-to author for when I fancy a quick pick-me-up!

This novel is the 13th book in the Hercule Poirot series, I am reading them out of order as I'm just grabbing them from my library's e-book collection when they become available - although I don't think it matters too much if you read them slightly out of order!

- This novel follows Poirot as he endeavours to solve a series of mysterious murders. After receiving an ano
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
“There is nothing so terrible as to live in an atmosphere of suspicion - to see eyes watching you and the love in them changing to fear - nothing so terrible as to suspect those near and dear to you - It is poisonous - a miasma.”

Hercule Poirot gets a few surprises – his old friend Hastings has come for an extended stay and visit, and a serial killer has decided to target him with teasing notes before he strikes.

As always, clever. The point of this one was the journey and not the destination/cu
Mitch
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Before I begin my review, let me start off my saying I am a HUGE fan of Agatha Christie. Throughout the years I have always used her novels as "go to" books if I am in a literary dry spell and yearn to read something I am guarentee to enjoy. My girl Aggie usually hits the spot! However, sadly, I must say that "The A.B.C. Murders" is thus far my least favourite of all her books.

The following may contain spoilers:

Poirot, everyone's favourite detective, receives a mysterious letter warning him of
  • Death in Ecstasy (Roderick Alleyn, #4)
  • The Golden Spiders (Nero Wolfe, #22)
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey, #2)
  • Behold, Here's Poison (Inspector Hannasyde, #2)

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
“Words, madmoiselle, are only the outer clothing of ideas.” 165 likes
“It's like all those quiet people, when they do lose their tempers they lose them with a vengeance.” 128 likes