Start by marking “The Marriage Club” as Want to Read:
The Marriage Club

The Marriage Club

To the world, Leith's life looks picture-perfect. But after her shocking death, her husband George conducts his own post-mortem of their marriage, filling in the gaps. To his dismay, he realises the papered-over cracks in their domestic life run much deeper than he thought. And that he is as much to blame for his as Leith was.

Leith's book-club friends also stumble upon the
Published March 30th 2009 by Penguin Australia (first published March 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage Club

Suzanne
Oct 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
A group of ladies who believe themselves to be excellent friends are bookclub mates, marriage and the problems associated with these are the main thread of the story. A lot of dissatisfaction is experienced, and some of the group realise they probably aren't as close as first thought. A quick read set in the heart of Melbourne, I enjoyed this read, I wouldn't say a loose end was left hanging at the end, more a Sliding Doors moment. I wouldn't race out and buy this book, as always it was on my sh ...more
Liz
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a story of several friends who through their Bookclub share the trials and tribulations of life. Mainly their dissatisfaction with their husbands. When one of them dies suddenly it puts marriage and relationships on trial on the whole. It makes the point that you never really know what is going on in someone else's marriage no matter how close you are to them. Its kind of depressing how marriage for most of the couples becomes 'functional'rather than demonstrating how love has the potent ...more
Kirsten
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is not a great testament to marriage, and while I did find it quite a gripping tale, especially post death of Leith, it ultimately depressed me about marriage in general. Here's to some more positive takes in 2012.
Jennifer Scripps
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked this book and wanted to read something set in Australia while I am here. however, I am annoyed by many of the loose ends at the ed if this one...
Kylie Duthie
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not the greatest book I've ever read. Quite predictable. Didn't really feel much for the characters. But it was a quick read, and I wanted to finish it.
Kerrie
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We are not at all sure that a crime has been committed. Certainly a death has occurred.

Leith Kremmer's friends meeting at their monthly book club think she is very chipper. She even has champagne for them, but none suspect the secrets she has kept. In a way they have all kept secrets and Leith's death has a domino effect. The police begin an investigation, interviewing both the members of the book club and their husbands. Leith's mobile phone hints at the tip of an iceberg.

Marriages aren't alway
Alistair
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
Leith, Rosie, Eva, Marion and Bernadette belong in a long-standing book club. Tonight's meetingis at Leith's grand house, home now only to Leith and her Family Court judge husband, George. Instead of the usual bottles of wine, Leith breaks out the Moet; her friends sense she's up to something - and she is. The sudden death of one of the members results in each of the remaining women re-examining their relationships, with their partners and with the deceased, and all begin to realize that appeara ...more
Laura Walin
There is a group of women in their late middle age and as one of them is accidentally killed by her husband, everybody needs to reflect on their marriages. An easy read that dissects the unhappiness of a long marriage with surgical accuracy. I would have probably been happier with one marriage less and more depth in each described, as there were some loose ends even after the last page.
Vicki Miller
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Eat read. Quite enjoyable. Definitely not a must read, pretty predictable, but Ok
Jessica
Jul 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is a strange story.
A lot of questions were not answered and found the writing was a little bit all over the place.
Adrienne
Oct 19, 2018
Kristen
Feb 15, 2011
Jo
rated it did not like it
Nov 25, 2009