Start by marking “Night” as Want to Read:
Night

Night (The Night Trilogy #1)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  748,440 Ratings  ·  23,159 Reviews
Elie Wiesel's true story of his experiences in Nazi concentration camps during World War Two.
Published March 1st 1982 by Turtleback Books (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Night, please sign up.

Sam Ben Avraham My grandmother's brother was Elie Wiesel's best friend. This book is not made up, to that I can attest to through this connection. In addition, Mr.…moreMy grandmother's brother was Elie Wiesel's best friend. This book is not made up, to that I can attest to through this connection. In addition, Mr. Wiesel is a professor at Boston University, lecturing in the Holocaust Studies department. As a respectable University, I do not think that BU would hire someone who has done what you are accusing Elie Wiesel of. And something to reflect on... Let's assume it is true. Doesn't someone who has gone through something as horrific as the Holocaust deserve the respect to have extensive research done before calling him a fraud? You mention believe the Auschwitz Museum. Are you referring to the Camp itself that is now a museum, or is there a museum about Auschwitz you know that maybe I am simply unaware of? You also claim that Elie Wiesel never shows his number. How do you know this? And could it possibly be that people respond to such horrific traumas as the Holocaust in different ways, and Mr. Wiesel finds it too difficult to show other people?
Another note that should be interesting to everyone who posted here: Elie Wiesel wrote night when he was in the hospital he refers to at the end of the story. But he originally writes it in Yiddish. What takes longer is for him to write it in English and to publish it at all. Immediately after WWII the world was in such a state of shock, people couldn't comprehend and understand a story like 'Night.' It took a lot of bravery to publish such a book. The picture Aetna refers to below can be seen in the Israeli Holocaust Memorial, Yad Veshem, and I believe in the U.S. Holocaust Memorial in Washington D.C. I'm sure it can also be found on the internet.
May I ask you 1 more question? What is it about this story that made you suspect it was unreal? And not simply unreal, but fraud? You did research after reading it, but what prompted this research? (less)
Analecta Books "Page 999 is a thing"? The synopsis states the book is 115 pages long?

Sasha Alsberg
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Our lives no longer belong to us alone; they belong to all those who need us desperately." - Elie Wiesel
Kim
There is little that freaks me out more than the Holocaust. And I'm not belittling it at all with the phrase 'freaks me out.' Growing up in the 1970s and 80s, I felt sufficiently desensitized enough by television violence to be able to gauge how often I need to shake the jiffy pop and run to the bathroom before the program/violence resumes.

Elie Wiesel's Night brings me back to my senses, makes me hate the cold hearted bitch I've learned to be. And not by some overtly dramatic rendition of the ho
Navessa

The author, who is actually in the above picture, said it best in the forward; “Only those who experienced Auschwitz know what it was.” I think we can all agree with that. But can we, the reader, even understand what happened there? Can modern men and women comprehend that cursed universe?

I’m not entirely sure.

I first read this in my eighth grade History class. I was 13. It changed my life. Before this book my world was sunshine and rainbows. My biggest concern was whether or not a boy named Ja
Stephen
This book is a hard, righteous slap in the conscience to everyone of good will in the world and should stand as a stark reminder of both: (1) the almost unimaginable brutality that we, as a species, are capable of; and (2) that when it comes to preventing or stopping similar kinds of atrocities or punishing those that seek to perpetrate such crimes, WE ARE OUR BROTHERS' KEEPERS and must take responsibility for what occurs "on our watch."

This remarkable story is the powerful and deeply moving acc
Chris Horsefield
Upon completion of this book, my mind is as numb as if I had experienced this suffering myself. So much pain and suffering are thrown at you from the pages that one cannot comprehend it all in the right perspective. One can only move forward as the victims in this book did. Step by step, page by page. Initially, numbness is the only way to deal with such anguish.
Otherwise one becomes quickly overwhelmed by the images that evoke questions that cannot be answered. And yet, I read this book from t
Brina
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time I read Night by Eli Wiesel I was in an eighth grade religious school class. At that time it had recently become a law in my state to teach the Holocaust as part of the general curriculum, and, as a result, my classmates and I were the torchbearers to tell people to never forget and were inundated with quality Holocaust literature. Yet even though middle school students can comprehend Night, the subject matter at times is still way over their heads. The book itself although a prize ...more
Candi
"I was the accuser, God the accused. My eyes had opened and I was alone, terribly alone in a world without God, without man. Without love or mercy."

These words and this book just tore at my heart. I have seen Night, have heard of Night for many years now. I waited to read it, unsure what I could possibly gain from reading another account of the evil existing among our fellow human beings – I will become enraged and depressed. I can’t change history. I will be forced to examine my own faith and I
Martine
This book has garnered so many five-star reviews and deals with such important subject matter that it almost feels like an act of heresy to give it a mere four stars. Yet that is exactly what I'm going to do, for while Night is a chilling account of the Holocaust and the dehumanisation and brutalisation of the human spirit under extreme circumstances, the fact remains that I've read better ones. Better written ones, and more insightful ones, too.

Night is Elie Wiesel's somewhat fictionalised acco
Helen Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος   Vernus Portitor Arcanus Ταμετούρο   Αμούν Arnum
Όπως αναφέρεται στο επίμετρο αυτού του συγκλονιστικού βιβλίου όταν πρωτοεκδόθηκε το 1956 στην Αργεντινή (στη μητρική γλώσσα του συγγραφέα) είχε τίτλο:
«Και ο κόσμος σιωπούσε.....»
Θεωρώ πως δεν θα μπορούσε να υπάρξει πιο αντιπροσωπευτικός τίτλος για την ιστορία του βιβλίου αλλά και για την παγκόσμια ανθρώπινη ιστορία.

«Η νύχτα» του Ελί Βιζέλ είναι ένα αφηγηματικό ντοκουμέντο για το Ολοκαύτωμα.
Όταν άνοιξαν οι πύλες της κολάσεως για εκατομμύρια Εβραίους στα στρατόπεδα συγκέντρωσης-εξόντωσης και πέρ
Lyn
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrifying.

I have read two books that described a nightmare, painted a picture of hell. The second was Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy and first is Night.

I still think of this book sometimes and shudder and I realize that evil is never too far buried in us. The scene where the line of doomed prisoners splits in two with Mengela conducting, a perverse parody of the last judgment seems ripped from Dante.

description
  • In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer
  • All But My Life: A Memoir
  • The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million
  • A Lucky Child: A Memoir of Surviving Auschwitz as a Young Boy
  • ...I never saw another butterfly...
  • This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen
  • Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began (Maus, #2)
  • Thanks to My Mother
  • The Drowned and the Saved
  • The Good Old Days: The Holocaust as Seen by Its Perpetrators and Bystanders
  • Neighbors: The Destruction of the Jewish Community in Jedwabne, Poland
  • I Have Lived a Thousand Years
Eliezer Wiesel was a Romania-born American novelist, political activist, and Holocaust survivor of Hungarian Jewish descent. He was the author of over 40 books, the best known of which is Night, a memoir that describes his experiences during the Holocaust and his imprisonment in several concentration camps.

Wiesel was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986. The Norwegian Nobel Committee called him a
More about Elie Wiesel...

The Night Trilogy (3 books)
  • Dawn (The Night Trilogy #2)
  • Day (The Night Trilogy #3)
“Human suffering anywhere concerns men and women everywhere.” 2039 likes