Start by marking “Prescription for the Planet” as Want to Read:
Prescription for the Planet

Prescription for the Planet

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  28 ratings  ·  9 reviews
"The Painless Remedy for our energy and environmental crises."

"Prescription for the Planet offers real remedies for all these dilemmas - and more. Impeccably researched and lucidly written, this is a must read for anyone concerned about the health and well-being of Planet Earth and its inhabitants."
Published 2008 by Library of Congress

To ask other readers questions about Prescription for the Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prescription for the Planet

really liked it 4.00  ·

Sam
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed.

Before I turned to the first page, I already believed that our current energy plan is outdated and dangerous. Even removing the politics and the environmental aspects from the discussion and still, coal and fossil fuels are simply too expensive and laughably obsolete. So going in, I was on the side of the author. Let's stop using this poison and find a new way to meet our energy needs.

The three renewable energy technologies he covered; Integral Fast Reacto
Patrick
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in energy issues
This is a great book for those of us who have little background knowledge on nuclear energy. Blees makes a powerful case that we should continue to invest in this technology, his discussion of the Integral Fast Reactor is enlightening and frustrating. Even if renewables continue to contribute to our energy mix one is left wondering why research on promising nuclear technology was abandoned. We obviously, at the very least, need safer reactors to replace our aging fleet. Sun and wind alone is not ...more
Erik
Dec 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anybody (for or against nuclear power) who claims themselves to be conservationist, "against global warming", anti-nuclear, green, ad nausem. Basically read it if you can read. Well written, funny, above all informative. The book presents you with the landscape of the technologies and politics of energy. It is an unabashedly biased presentation; however, it is not a false one. Moreover, Mr. Blees presents a workable if not sci-fi-tastic solution to energy, energy-politics, povert ...more
Sean
Oct 18, 2016 added it
I will have to re-visit this publication, as it outlines the first shift in my own thinking away from the mainstream environmentalist/malthusian line towards a more Fullerite view of human development and the general uplifting of humanity in a sort of secular, enlightenment sense; starting from the first principle of the material constraints on human development. The IFR vs MSR debate may not be touched upon here, but the paradigm-shift happened in a big way thanks to Blees' work.
Hollis Fishelson-holstine
This was recommended by a friend as 'the answer to our new economy'. I disagree. The book seemed far too simplistic. If there were really one, easy answer, I think we'd already be headed in this direction. For such grandiose statements as he makes, I would have expected hard science references. Instead, all the references are to things like magazine articles and others' opinions.
Jani-Petri
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting and bold. Blees is not after half measures and aims for solutions to our environmental problems that add up. Idea of using boron as a fuel for vehicles was very interesting and I would like to know more about that. I had a feeling that in parts Blees was too casually optimistic about costs and technical obstacles.
Jacob Ferrington
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Erik - I decided to read the first two chapters and wait. Don't worry if it takes you a while to find the time. I did not initially expect to chapters to take me 111 pages in but the introduction is pretty long. I will just move on with other things and once you are at the start of c3 lets post some ideas. :)
John Balkcom
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A superbly clear and readable examination of the risks, rewards, and opportunities of nuclear and other sources of energy, especially when read in conjunction with MacKay's book Sustainable Energy Without the Hot Air.
Luke
Feb 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If there were one book I could make everyone read it would be this book. A very clear map for the future. Integral Fast Reactors. Boron fueled cars. Plasma converters.
Sebastian Bourges