Start by marking “Guided Math: A Framework for Mathematics Instruction” as Want to Read:
Guided Math: A Framework for Mathematics Instruction

Guided Math: A Framework for Mathematics Instruction

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  166 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Use a practical approach to teaching mathematics that integrates proven literacy strategies for effective instruction. This professional resource will help to maximize the impact of instruction through the use of whole-class instruction, small-group instruction, and Math Workshop. Incorporate ideas for using ongoing assessment to guide your instruction and increase student ...more
Published April 20th 2009 by Shell Education Pub

To ask other readers questions about Guided Math, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guided Math

Bonnie
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it
A good book for someone unfamiliar with the workshop model. The first three chapters were helpful, but the remainder of the book was more about why the components are beneficial to students. I've been teaching reading and writing with this model for years, so I know the benefits and the rationale behind each component. I found Math Exchanges (Wedekind) much more helpful to me for guided math groups. This would be a great book for anyone new to teaching or brand new to the workshop model.
Sara
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a good book, however the author refers A LOT to guided reading instruction. I did a lot of skimming because I'm already familiar with the why's and how's of guided reading. Yet, this book does give a nice amount of ideas for conferencing in Math (a bit different from how you do it in reading) and a variety of for how to use a math calendar and centers.
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
So, this is the 3rd, maybe 4th time around....And, I have to say that while some of the information is geared toward the beginning teacher, or perhaps the teacher that has not done workshop model, I still get some great ideas for my students and my class. Each read has lent itself to another way of thinking about how students learn from directed small group and exploration.
Carrie
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Only a couple things would have made this a 5-star text. I would have liked to have seen more pictures of a Guided Math classroom and possibly views of math groups or set-ups. The appendix documents could be a little bit more detailed as well...because they are seemingly helpful but not quite there in this edition. Hoping maybe these things will be added to the next edition down the line.

But as a teacher is more strong in reading instruction, I truly appreciated the things I read about and lear
Stephanie
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book would probably be great for a beginning teacher. If you have been teaching awhile and have done guided reading, I would say this book is a waste of your time. Especially if you are familiar with Debbie Miller, Fountas and Pinnell, and Marzano. This book did a great job of explaining why guided math should be done, but not a lot of how it is done (which is what I was looking for). I was quite disappointed as I want to try guided math next year (hence, I don't need to be convinced), and ...more
Shannon Clark
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: pd
This book might be good for brand new teachers or ones who need to be convinced to dough workshop, but it reads more like a research paper than a practical guide for classroom teachers.

I went into it with the wrong expectations I guess. :)

I DO want to learn more about math stretches and math huddles. Of course, there's still a lot more I want to know about after reading this since many of my questions weren't answered.

I thought I would read about more routines and examples.

Maybe I'm not giving
Nichole Lindgren
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is great to use when trying to get teachers to switch from predominantly whole group instruction to guided math. It gives great reasons why guided math should be done and even gives tips for structures and stations, but nothing too in depth.
This is the second time I've read this book, and it's not the type of book you can just open to a page for ideas, rather you need to read a chapter or more to get the information you need so its hard for teachers to use as go to resource but it is g
Savannah Weaver
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I adore this book! Laney Sammons takes all the strategies from readers' workshop and writers' workshop and applies them to math. Anyone who is familiar with the workshop approach to literacy will immediately be able to see the value in treating mathematics instruction in the same manner. I love the thought of having mentor texts, anchor charts, small group math, and math centers during my math block. Laney Sammons was able to take something that terrifies me--math--and make it seem completely ap ...more
Trever
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: math-education
When critics of the book said that it would be good for people who are in the first year of teaching, what were they thinking?!?!

This book is for people who might think they even kinda sort of want to be in education. Extremely elementary book about teaching math. Only reason I picked it up was for individual math conferences and that section was less than to be desired.

I'm just glad I found it free on the internet and that is why I gave it an extra star.
Berit
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
I think this will be a very useful book as I plan my math instruction for next year. It has given me an answer to my most pressing question with regard to teaching math: How do I provide individualized instruction in math for all of my students, like I do in guided reading? This book has provided the framework I need to provide that individualized instruction.
Jamie Sears
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very helpful. I loved the sample mini lessons and small-group lessons. I found the information on math conferences to be very valuable and though provoking. I also got very excited about her math stretches. I actually ordered her book Math Stretches to read next.
Abbey
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
This would be a great book for a preservice teacher or someone who isn't in an AMSTI school. For me, it was very repetitious and I skimmed a lot. It's mostly about how to set up your room and not about what to actually teach during guided math.
Mandy Robek
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you are comfortable with literacy and want to see connections to improve your math discussion this book is for you. Filled with lots of guidance and ideas for making a math workshop reasonable, manageable, and growing all students.
Brandi Beers
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lots of great ideas to try.
Charlie
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This works so well with 2nd graders. It is an excellent way to do math in an elementary classroom.
Sally
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I would have really liked a DVD or a web site link to videos showing specifics of guided math & workshop.
Judy
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is based on the guided reading format. If you're not familiar with that it might be helpful.
Rosemary Malayil
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not as helpful as I thought it would be.
Audrey
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
I agree with another reviewer. This is not a bad book, but it's full of information that many educators already know.
Krista Tillman
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Some good ideas about how to cross-over the structure of guided reading into math. If you know a lot about guided reading parts of this book will be repetitive. The first few chapters are the best.
Anne
Jun 08, 2016
Staci
Sep 11, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Next Step in Guided Reading: Focused Assessments and Targeted Lessons for Helping Every Student Become a Better Reader
  • Math Work Stations: Independent Learning You Can Count On, K-2
  • Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers
  • How to Give Effective Feedback to Your Students
  • Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write
  • Opening Minds: Using Language to Change Lives
  • Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well
  • Teaching Children to Care: Classroom Management for Ethical and Academic Growth, K-8
  • School Leadership That Works: From Research to Results
  • The Daily Five
  • Growing Readers: Units of Study in the Primary Classroom
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • The First Six Weeks of School
  • Craft Lessons
  • The Morning Meeting Book: K-8
  • Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy