Start by marking “Wasp-Waisted” as Want to Read:
Wasp-Waisted

Wasp-Waisted

(Franck Guerin #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  10 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A young model is found dead in a luxury hotel in Paris. A stunning photo of the scene features on the cover of the country's top-selling scandal sheet. It was delivered before the police found the body. In a city obsessed with images of perfection, the murderer's artistic talents are the object of much admiration.

It's Franck Guerin's first criminal case. Used to the murky
Published 2009 by John Law Media

To ask other readers questions about Wasp-Waisted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wasp-Waisted

Michael
Jul 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Review from my blog
An intelligently written, tightly plotted detective story set in Paris. I do like a good detective yarn. Unfortunately many detective books are far from good. This book ticks a lot of the requirement boxes I look for when I'm selecting books. I like detective books that follow the detective almost exclusively; you walk in his footsteps, see what he sees, hear what he hears and match yourself against him with your deductive reasoning. This book never leaves the detective's side
Judy
Jul 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
The book began well setting the character of the story but the first couple of chapters seemed a bit like a tour guide of Paris in places, although this didn't detract from the story.
The more I read the more I wanted to find out 'Whodunnit'!
The main character has a distinct personality and I could imagine him in further books.
It's a good, enjoyable, easy to read detective story.
My husband has just finished reading this book too and really enjoyed it.
He also said the book feels like it's been pri
May 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Wasp–Waisted by David Barrie
ISBN 978-0-9562518-0-0
Publisher: John Law Media
•Sam North review
The setting Paris - the cop Frank Guerin on secondment from the DST to the Brigade Criminelle.  Catching a case of a beautiful dead fashion model photographed by the killer in very expensive lingerie - not your everyday M&S frillies.

This is the first Frank Guerin book by David Barrie and Frank seems to work very much alone under the guidance of Le Juge.  This is not the gritty realism of Paris cops a
Amanda
Jul 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Crime is not usually my genre, but Wasp-waisted was fantastic! Barrie has an excellent command of prose, capturing the sights and culture of Paris into words with the skill of a budding artist. Franck, Wasp-waisted's central character, is a loveable, caffine-chugging gumshoe, a down-to-earth (but, I thought, rather romantically drawn) detective with his mind firmly on the job. The sensual descriptions of the crime scenes was something novel and interesting that gave an already rather rich story ...more
Tim
Jul 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Superb book, I enjoyed it immensely.
I was sceptical at first, an unknown author, a management consultant, and the back cover made it look incredibly dull. I was completely wrong. The book was well written, the plot was thrilling, and full of cliff hangers and not without action.

It would have been nice to hear a bit more about the past of the character, more about his time in DST and the Corsica Incident, but I am sure that will come in the inevitable sequel, one which I anticipate greatly.

The d
David Barrie
Jun 17, 2009 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mystery, crime
I wrote this book, so you'd best be wary of what follows.
Set in Paris (where I live), Wasp-Waisted attempts to give a taste of the city while recounting a murder enquiry that takes place somewhere on the frontiers of fashion, art, business and desire. You can get a pretty good flavour of the book from the web site www.waspwaisted.com.
Marlene
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have discovered a new mystery series, and book #1 is great! These are set in Paris, my favorite city in the world, and the main character, Franck, is so interesting. I am looking forward to book #2.
Anna Vermaelen
Ruth
May 11, 2017
Giulia
Nov 22, 2017
David Barrie is a crime writer who has lived in Paris for over twenty years. The city looms large in his NOIR CHIC crime novels. A sense of place has always been one of the foundations of quality crime fiction. Barrie’s novels are true to the city in which they are set: stylish, sophisticated and crafted with an eye for the tiniest detail.
As for Barrie’s own take on what he does, here’s an extract

Franck Guerin (5 books)
  • Night-Scented
  • Loose-Limbed
  • Hard-Hearted
  • Tight-Lipped (Franck Guerin #5)