Start by marking “Demon Bound (Black London, #2)” as Want to Read:
Demon Bound (Black London, #2)

Demon Bound

(Black London #2)

Thirteen years ago, Jack Winter lay dying in a graveyard. Jack called upon a demon and traded his soul for his life… and now the demon is back to collect its due. But Jack has finally found something to live for. Her name is Pete Caldecott, and because of her, Jack's not going to Hell without a fight.

Pete doesn't know about Jack's bargain, but she does know that something
Published December 1st 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published November 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Demon Bound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demon Bound

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
The story continues on from Street Magic the first book in the Black London series. Jack has been keeping secrets and this secret is about to come back on him after 13 years; his time is finally up and a demon has come to collect what is owed him. But Jack has found something to live for, someone who needs him and he won’t be dragged down to Hell without a fight.

I thought this book was brilliant, like the previous book it was dark and gritty with the magic of the Black like smog over the book. I
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
I love the setting and the writing in this series from eerie London graveyards to the ethereal otherness of the Dartmoor and then occult Bangkok just to mix it up a little. Caitlin Kittredge nails it! And the bond between the bad boy mage Jack Winter and his Weir the more respectable Petunia "Pete" Caldicott deepens with each book.

Nearly a 4.5 star read.
Katie
I'm not quite ready to give up on this series, but I also couldn't really tell you what happened in this book.
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
The demon grinned at him. "Caught you with your knickers down, Winter." It held Jack's denim on the crook of its index finger.

"See something you like, mate?"

Loved it! I'm not particularly in the mood to write a full review for a change, so I'll make it short and sweet. ;)

I absolutely loved visiting the world through Jack's perspective. It was enlightening to discover what lies behind the mask that Jack so stubbornly clings to.

The progress that I patiently waited for with Pete and Jack's relatio
Melissa Hayden
Feb 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
There are a few things I enjoyed in the book. The gritty magic which Kittredge takes to the next level in this book with necromancers, fey, and death knocking on the door, then we have the banter and love/hate relationship between Jack and Pete. This couple is not for everyones taste (even the other characters in the books hate Jack), but I do love their sarcasm to cover some feelings and the brutal honesty toward each other on other feelings. Pete seems to be the one more honest and Jack seems ...more
Ami
This book is a bit uneven for me.

On one hand, I LOVE Jack's voice -- better than Pete. Probably because there's an impending doom waiting for Jack by the end of the day, as his thirteen years time comes up, and demon is ready to take his soul to hell. There's a sense of angst from Jack, because this time he has a reason to stay alive. His Pete. The only one who is willing to stay (Pete even leaves her job as Detective Inspector) and fight with him. I love reading Jack's feeling for Pet
Lady Heather
What an amazing sequel! The relationship between Jack and Pete continues and it just makes you want to read all the more faster to see what's going to happen next!
The ending of the book just leaves you begging for more!

I really enjoy Ms. Kittridge's writing, but more specifically the dialogue(I love the English slang). She's captured the Punk/Anarchist mentality..it's raw, it's real, and really quite offensive, and if you didn't have thick skin you would be 'shaking in your boots' or really 'pis
Bunnycore
I love Pete and Jack.

We come to realize in this book as well that Jack is having feels for Pete. He needs her and that if for sure they live together now. Pete is no longer a cop she and Jack are more like PI's than anything else. It is a Great second book.

I completely recommend this to anyone in love with UF.
Amy Braun
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I'd hoped that the sequel to STREET MAGIC would be a large improvement, especially since it would give more insight into Jack as the story is told from his perspective, but I was a bit let down again.

The story itself is interesting, the magic is fun, and the dialogue and words are well constructed, but Jack is still the failing part for me. He still treats Pete like garbage and expects sympathy and even love when he does nothing but lie and go behind her back. I found myself eager to skim to th
Faye
First read: 2009
Re-read: May 2015

The plot: Demon Bound is told from Jack Winter's perspective (as opposed to Pete's in Street Magic). Here Pete has quit her job with the police force and the two of them are freelancing in magical work; raising ghosts and exorcizing them. Meanwhile Jack is hiding a big secret from Pete; he owes a demon his life, and the demon is coming to collect.

The good:
- Kittredge writes a vivid, bustling, multicultural London well.
- The book moves through a few different loca
Ren Puspita
3 stars

It been 2 years after I read the first book Street Magic, but like usual Kittredge bring another good dark fantasy with unusual hero and heroine. While I love that this book told from Jack's POV-not 1st person tho-, I lost patience when he's too much wallowing in his self pity party, think that he didn't deserve Pete over and over and that lie to her. The lie about his life bound to demon nearly suffocate me and make me want to smack him to just get over it. Add it with too much cuss and
Kathy Davie
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, urban
Second in the Black London dark, dark fantasy series revolving around Pete Caldecott, former police inspector, and Jack Winter, crow-mage.

My Take
I really enjoy this series in spite of Jack's drug use…okay, I'm a prig…I love that Pete has forced Jack to kick the heroin habit, and that Jack truly is grateful for her support.

The two of them have such an adversarial relationship, and Kittredge has the jargon down so well — it sounds so real!

In this story, their brief sojourn in the country is quite
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
It's actually a 3.7 for me.

I've read the first book and was very excited for the next book in this series. Jack Winter is a bit of an ass but even though he denies it, there is a heart underneath his scarred and battered frame. That heart beats for Pete Caldecott, an ex-cop who is a source for magic and has her own shared past with Jack that leaves her in a strange place of love and exasperation.

This installment has Jack facing his demons - literally. He sold his soul to a demon the night that h
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
After really enjoying STREET MAGIC last week, I decided to get stuck into the second book in the Black London series right away.

The POV shifts to Jack Winter, and I had a blast getting an insight into Jack's head, as well as learning so much more about him. He likes to keep plenty of things hidden from Pete, so delving into his inner thoughts was a great way to understand exactly why he is how he is, and why he's done all the strange and weird things that make him seem like nothing more than a s
Yodamom
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Poor Jack, he made a deal, an unbreakable one to save his life. Now this deal will be the end of his life. He has a reason to live, Pete. His magic is not going to get him out of this. he'll make another deal. This deal, is not made with truths and fairness. His crow magic is drawing unwanted attention. Around him it draws two faced liars, demons, shadows and the black beady eyes. Nothing is easy or clear.
Pete has left the force, and works wit Jack as a ghost buster duo. Her magical developments
Steph
Black London is one of my favorite UF series. I love Jack and Pete. It was a big Thank You! moment when they finally admit their feelings and we are rewarded as much as them. I sigh everytime Jack says, "luv"... ahhhhhh. hehe ;)

"I don't want to be your mistake, Pete." "Too late for that ... I've told you you're in my blood, Jack ... You're in my blood like poison ... And I die because of you."

Jack is battling a 13-yr old pact with a demon for his soul. He's struggling to find a way out, before t
Lois
Hmpf... a bit of a mess. The first/ main plot with the spooky English manor, just sort of fissled out halfway through ( don't know if fissled is a real word, but it just fit :-D ) It seems as though Kittredge changed her opinion about the story in the middle of the book. It felt as though the mystery just got solved by it self in two sentences in the end.
Actually I don't really know why I keep reading this series. I don't really connect with any of the protagonists and the story and world build
Chad
Feb 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Friends here on goodreads.
Shelves: my-favorites
The 2nd novel in the Black London series by Caitlin Kittredge is AWESEOME, I LOVED the whole book, it captured by attention (like her others as well) and the ending is a very clever cliffhanger, leaving readers wondering what is next for the 2 main characters and I am waiting for book three, not sure when it will be released yet.

Caitlin Kittredge sure can tell a damn good story from beginning until the ending/cliffhanger, I also love her Nocturne City novels, this year the 5th and final one w
Maggie K
Aug 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I know writing characterization is hard, but this just seemed over the top in how it portrayed Jack Winter the Crow Mage. He really didnt need to flip off EVERYONE he met, or include 'wanker' in every sentence to get his british-punk stereotype across. Frankly it got old.

That being said, the buildup of showing the depth of his feelings for Pete was handled well. It was good to see his POV in this book, and although the beginning dragged for a long time due to Jack not wanting to express anything
Suz
Feb 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
More like a 3.5. This is an improvement from the first but it still had trouble holding my attention. I would have chosen 4 stars to represent the 3.5 I'm feeling, but the cliff hanger ending pisses me off. I really hate cliff hanger endings.

On the good side - the installment is told more from Jack's perspective and he's a more interesting read than Pete is. He's gritty and hard to like, but somehow you still want to keep rooting for him.

The story is engaging, but it's unfolding slowly. The imag
Samantha Brody
3.5 stars: I am admittedly not wild about the whole POV switch thing being on a book by book basis instead of chapter by chapter, but seeing Jack's POV was definitely an interesting switch. The middle of the story lagged a biiit too much for me & I wish there had been a bit more background on Pete leaving the police force at the beginning/resolution re: the Naughton plot, but I am surprisingly looking forward to having Pete's POV back for the next book? still do adore the world building and ...more
Kerry  sullivan
May 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I got as far as page 38 and found I was waiting for Dick Van Dyke to arrive. The shame is Caitlin Kittredge writes a really good story but the forced London lingo is just too much for this reader brought up in London to live with. I shall be sticking with her Nocture city series.
Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe)
this book was hard for me to get into. it just didn't flow like the first one did, until the end. now I really want to read the next book.
Katter
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This book was awesome! The first 'Black London' novel was okay even though I got tired of all the angst, drama, and found some of it to be quite confusing. Demon Bound, however is completely different!

In this installment the story is told from Jack's point of view which is quite nice. We get to see the crow-mage's inner workings and how he deals with issues. The main one in this book being a demon who wants to collect Jack's soul. Jack being the stubborn man that he is, refuses to go down witho
Denise
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Almost thirteen years ago, Jack Winter made a deal with a demon, trading his soul to save his life - and now it's time to pay the bill, just when Jack has finally found something (or rather, someone) worth living for. Lucky for Jack, the demon is willing to re-negotiate: The demon will let him go if he delivers another mage who reneged on a deal with this same demon. Of course, bargaining with demons is never as straightforward as it seems, and Jack's newest bargain sends him on a dangerous wild ...more
Jessica Anne Davis
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A dark, gritty story of magic and characters who always hold true to who they really are, (even when you wanna scream and beat them). Fantastic second novel in a vivid series and the type of novel that's like crack. Fast paced and twisted never going quite where you think.
Josie Boyce
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Decent sophomore in the black london series. I liked Pete being the pov in the first a bitter better, but the story this time is just as robust, opening up the scope of the series by the end. Looking forward to working my way along.
Dion Cassidy
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
fascinating seeing the other side of the coin with Jack's pov.
Marsha
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
It took forever for me to read this book. I simply couldn't connect with the characters. Perhaps if I had been able to start with the first book, it might had been easier to connect.
James
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first book
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Taken by Sin (Demon Hunters, #4)
  • Demon Blood (The Guardians, #6)
  • Wild Hunt (Evie Scelan, #2)
  • Moonburn (Abra Barrow #2)
  • Ghosts & Echoes (Shadows Inquiries #2)
  • Shades of Gray (The Icarus Project, #2)
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss, #3)
  • Black Heart Loa (Hoodoo, #2)
  • Salt and Silver
  • Shady Lady (Corine Solomon, #3)
  • Amazon Queen (Amazon, #2)
  • Shadow Fall (Shadow, #2)
  • Never Cry Werewolf (Crimson Moon, #5)
  • Trinity Blood: Reborn on the Mars, Volume 2: The Iblis
  • The Grimrose Path (Trickster, #2)
  • As Lie the Dead (Dreg City, #2)
  • Hags, Sirens, and Other Bad Girls of Fantasy
Caitlin started writing novels at age 13. Her first was a Star Wars tie-in. Fortunately, she branched out from there and after a few years trying to be a screenwriter, a comic book writer and the author of copious amounts of fanfiction, she tried to write a novel again. Her epic dark fantasy (thankfully) never saw the light of day but while she was struggling with elves and sorcerers she got the i ...more

Black London (6 books)
  • Street Magic (Black London, #1)
  • Bone Gods (Black London, #3)
  • Devil's Business (Black London, #4)
  • Soul Trade (Black London, #5)
  • Dark Days (Black London, #6)
“You're in my blood like poison. And I'd die because of you.” 6 likes
“In a platonic and boring fashion, is it all right if I share your fire until me clothes dry out? I have a feeling if I fall asleep damp I'll wake up with some horrid Victorian disease.” 3 likes