Start by marking “P. Allen Smith's Garden Home: Creating a Garden for Everyday Living” as Want to Read:
P. Allen Smith's Garden Home: Creating a Garden for Everyday Living

P. Allen Smith's Garden Home: Creating a Garden for Everyday Living

Lots of people want gardens but find the prospect of getting started a bit daunting. P. Allen Smith's Garden Home is P. Allen Smith's inviting solution.

Smith begins with his own story: his family's love of gardens and experience in the nursery business, his own education at the great gardens of England, and his discovery that we all have, as he says, "a longing for our agr
Published February 4th 2003 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about P. Allen Smith's Garden Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about P. Allen Smith's Garden Home

Audrey
Nov 08, 2016 added it
I liked this landscaping book more than some others I've read, mostly because they can be applied to city lots, and not just larger, rural lots. The twelve principles of landscaping he lays out are divided into two sections of 6. The first 6 are structural, and the second 6 are aesthetic. The structural principles are fairly typical of most other theories of landscaping, although he focuses on the creation of "rooms" as the basis. (Other designers usually mention "garden rooms", but leave this m ...more
Carmen
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: house-gardening
Flipping channels one day on the tv I saw a show that I liked. It was hosted by P. Allen Smith. He was tying the beauty of the landscape, the gardens, the house design, and the interior design all together. I really liked that message. So I decided to see if the library had any books by him. Lo and behold, they did! I spent most of the month enjoying this book in little bits.The 12 features of design were inspirational. I plan on buying this book so that I can continously review it.
Mia
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: garden
Lovely book. Smith's 12 principles for garden design provide a starting point for planning or improving upon your garden. Emphasizing structure and the purpose behind each garden 'room', he guides readers through the process of creating or re-shaping the space they have to suit their needs, beautifully.

Lush photos, specific recommendations, ideas for adding easy structures and surfaces, and a friendly tone throughout.
Anne
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
What does it say about me that I have a crush on this man? I know, it's unlikely the feelings will be returned. Loved the pictures, the ideas, the resources, and especially his connections to what we feel in the garden and why.
Amanda Kaleta-Kott
Apr 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
helpful ideas and considerations for thinking about your outdoor space.
Patti