Start by marking “Rich Girl, Poor Girl” as Want to Read:
Rich Girl, Poor Girl

Rich Girl, Poor Girl

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  592 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Four girls - two rich, two poor. Three will grow up to become the best of friends, who'll see each other through love and heartbreak, dreams and disaster. One will grow into a woman with no thoughts beyond revenge.
Published March 1st 2009 by Orion

Butterfly2507
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: selling
Das Buch hat so gut angefangen. Es war interessant und spannend zu sehen wie der verschiedenen Frauen / Mädchen zusammenfanden und auch halten. Danach war es ein bisschen kompliziert: zu viele Personen, Ansichten und Zeitsprünge. Und das auf über 600 Seiten. Es ist stinklangweilig.
Rishita
actual rating: 3 1/2 stars
Phew I finally completed reading this book. I liked this book. It was a very good book indeed but the pace was so slow sometimes that it irritated me.
Shaelah Ariotti
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Yeah.. no.

I started out enjoying this novel. It sort of reminded me of a Jaclyn or Liane Moriarty novel (I have enjoyed many books by both women), but it just went downhill from there.

This book doesn't seem to know what it is. Is it a mystery? Crime? Romance? Chick-lit? Sometimes scope-creep works well across genres, particularly if it's done intentionally and with a deft hand. More often than not, it comes across as confused and irritating, like the author wanted the book to be too many thing
Nur Hanım
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Çok beğendiğim bir kitaptı. Kalınlığına bakarak nasıl bitecek bu kitap diye düşünürken sayfalar birbiri ardına ilerledi. Yazarın kalemini çok beğendim çünkü o kadar akıcı ki. Karakterler gayet net, dili basit ve olay sürükleyici. Hayatın ne getirdiği bilinmez denir ya işte bu kitapta da öylesine karmaşık hayatlar anlatılıyordu ki sanki film gibiydi. Okumanızı tavsiye ederim, yazarın diğer kitaplarını oldukça merak ediyorum.
Laurie Raye
I won this book from this site, and after a few months of my university reading list taking over my free time I was finally able to sit down and enjoy it.

The main plot is held together by the ties of friendship between three, intitally very mismatched, girls. Each brings to the pot her own glamour but also her own misfortunes. Karyn, who is clever but finds fulfilling her dreams difficult because of her family. Nic, wealthy daughter of a rich businessman has to contend for his affection while ju
Rebecca Haslam
May 01, 2011 rated it liked it
This book took me a while to get into as I found the first quarter of the book to not grab my attention as much as I felt it would. That said, when more about the central characters was revealed and how many of them intertwined with one another, then I became more an avid reader.
There was something I realised when reading this book and that was that, although we may not always believe it, and at times it doesn't seem like it, friends can be the greatest source of advice and inspiration - around
SJH (A Dream of Books)
This book follows the interconnected story of three friends: Caryn, Nic and Tory, from their schooldays to the world of secrets and lies that awaits them. It took a little while to settle into the differing narratives and I did find myself becoming more involved in the chapters directly concerning Caryn and Tory. However, as the commentary progressed, I found that I was drawn further and further into the plot and I got used to the storytelling style. I think Lesley Lokko has managed to create th ...more
Colleen
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Meh. I was desperate for something to read on vacation, otherwise I never would have actually finished this book. From the first line the forced writing style was obvious. This is your basic chick novel, with plenty of drama among friends and plenty of sex scenes between the covers. The main characters oscillate between making poor decisions and convincing themselves that they're tough enough to live with the consequences. The most depth in this book comes in the detailed descriptions of the cha ...more
Nesli
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-my-library
Lesley Lokko tarzını en sevdiğim yazarlardan bir tanesi. İçiçe geçmiş bir çok hayatı öyle güzel kurgulayarak anlatıyor ki kitap sayfalarının arasında kaybolmadan edemiyorum. Çıkan diğer kitapları gibi Öteki Kızlar da kesinlikle harikaydı. Çoğu zaman bir kadının başına gelebilecek en kötü şeyleri onun kaleminden okurken sinirlerime hakim olamıyorum ama yinede okumadan da edemiyorum. Çünkü gerçekten kelimeleri sihirli. Bu romanında da yine aynı karışık hayatlar, kadınlar ve yaşadıkları zorluklar, ...more
Sammie
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
i have to admire Leslie Lokko for this book as it was amazing!! nic, estelle, jim, mat, simon, caryn, tory, rob and luc, were some of the most exquisite characters that i have read. although the argument in the end between nic and her father, jim, could have been more compelling. did caryn really have to leave simon? they made such a cute couple!! he did go to the police for her, so why did she have to leave him? she survived so long without knowing and she found out the truth how come she could ...more
Arja
A DREARY BOOK!!!! No any star! Huh huh kuinka tylsä kirja...eipä ihme että lukeminen kesti. Kirjailija oli näköjään päättänyt pohjustaa kirjan perusteellisesti, lapsuudesta asti tähdättiin tapahtumaan joka tapahtui kirjan "viimeisillä sivuilla". Haisteltiin ja maisteltiin elämää joka ikisellä tapahtumalla ....ihan niin kuin ei vähempi olisi riittänyt ja lopputulos oli aika naurettava floppi. Tämän kirjan jo melkein päätin lopettaa mutta kahlasin lävitse ja aivan turhaan...hukkaan meni! Toisaalta ...more
Max Rocca
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bello, intrigante, assolutamente la storia scorre fluida e veloce...le pagine scorrono in attesa di giungere al termine per sapere se la Vendetta delle protagoniste giunge al termine. una storia lunga un amicizia di 15 anni, intrecci, liti famigliari, amori persi e ritrovati in citta magnifiche come Parigi, Londra, New York e i colori e le atmosfere dello Zimbabwe. Dedicato alle donne che sospirano ancora per le storie d'amore tormentate.
Julie
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book starts out as 'chick lit' about 3 friends from school in the 1980s, and comes through to the present day, getting deeper and the characters getting more entangled as the story goes on. It's all about money and power with revenge thrown in for good measure, and takes place in various locations all over the world. I really enjoyed this book (and couldn't put it down towards the end) and will certainly try other Lesley Lokko books.
Ilana Fox
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
As soon as I started reading this book I loved it - love Lesley's style, and her characters are fantastic. As the book went on it got a bit complicated for me, and I have to admit I struggled ... think that's more a reflection of my vacation brain than the book though. By the end of the novel the plot became crystal clear, but I was slightly disappointed with the ending. It wasn't as happy-ever-after as I'd have liked! A good, solid read though - I'm envious that I didn't write this!
Rio C
May 24, 2014 rated it liked it
This is only the second book I've read by Lokko, but she seems to like this whole "separate plot lines converging into one big story" thing. It was a good read and it kept me entertained, though some of the plot twists/ lines she used were a bit expected and borderline cliche. She also could have developed some of the other characters more, but, as I said, I still think it's a good read and that the overall story was entertaining.
Kelly
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you don't know the style Lokko uses, that is an interconnected story of characters mostly young women, then it may be hard to get her novels. But do persist, Lokko has a skill of bringing chick lit beyond the pages of trashy novels and easy glamour points, delving into the hopes, dreams and links between characters to weave a tale worth reading.
Jue
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this book some 18 months ago or more before it became available in the book shops.
The story is centered around three girls who become friends at school. It tracks their lives, loves and friendships until they are in their late twenties with loads of twists and turns along the way. This is a must read. Lokko has done a great job yet again.
Noninuna
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
well, i've been looking for this book also 2 years & i had been wondering why it's so difficult to get this book.
The beginning was good enough to make me hook for a chick-lit with 600 pages book but nearly the end, i just fed-up. Too soap opera-ic. i mean, come on! the story dragging to long with affairs after affairs, secret after secret. urgh.
Overall, the story was pretty ok.
Louise Gray
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Definitely too long but the fact that the chapters were generally quite short helped me get through it swiftly. Typical chick-lit in the sense that you could work out what was going to happen a mile off but the ups and downs of the friendships, not to mention the numerous romps, meant that it was just enough to keep me interested enough to get to the end!
Julie
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Interesting premise, but I never really did believe the motivations of all the characters. I never got a sense that three girls/women were super close - the fact that they kept such significant secrets from each other kind of boggled my mind, actually. I never really connected with the characters either. Even being that I liked the plot and it was well-written, it was just okay.
Cody
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Couldn't put this book down but couldn't help
But feel disappointed with the ending. It didn't really end just stopped. Left with so many questions unanswered. Loved the suspense and drama throughout the read though!
Manda
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
I found this one hard to get into. I enjoyed the complex intertwining stories of the characters but some of it wasn't really crucial to the story. The ending was wrapped up really quickly compared to the setting up of the plot. I found Bitter Chocolate a much more enjoyable read.
Totty Teabag
Aug 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
If it wasn't for the fact that this book was in the lav and I only read a page or two at a time, I would probably have given up on it. The final chapters were written with such a broad brush that it read more like a story outline than a novel.
Lna
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I totally enjoyed this book, the same as all other books from Lesley Lokko. I like the way it's written, with three different stories in parallel. All three characters were interesting to me. Would recommend this book to everyone!
Rosslyn
This is a story of love, revenge, betrayal, corruption and truth!

It is a complex relationship story which is well thought through and delivered however there is too much swearing and sexual content for my personal taste.
Lillian  Harper Avery
Oct 22, 2010 rated it did not like it
I liked how all the characters were all connected in some way. Fantastic twists kept me interested. However, I feel that for being such a descriptive book throughout the ending was lacking and I was pretty dissapointed. I doubt that I'll willingly read it again.
Rosaria
Finale un po' sbrigativo. Mi aspettavo di più dopo 600 pagine.
Chenice
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very well written. Excellent twists. I thoroughly enjoyed the time periods of which the book was set; from past to present to past etc. The characters were very dynamic but yet relatable. Excellent.
Alison
Nov 05, 2012 rated it liked it
an easy 'Dallas' style story. Holiday reading- not too taxing
Anna
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is Lokko's 4th book and I think her weakest... the story was interesting but the ending seemed very quick - like she was rushing off to give it to the publisher. It is a nice chick lit read...
Rich girl gone poor after dad dies and leaves a lot of debt. 1 2 Mar 05, 2015 03:14PM
  • The Broken Hearts' Society of Suite 17C
  • GoldenGirl (Bradford, #1)
  • Lost Innocence
  • Those Girls (Jinx, #1)
  • The Book of Love
  • Get a Life (Clearwater Crossing, #1)
  • Riche$
  • In the Event of My Death
  • The Beggar Maid
  • Kiss Heaven Goodbye
  • Foreign Affairs
  • Adored
  • Granted
  • Six
  • Impact (The Dying Time #1)
  • The Upper Class (Upper Class, #1)
  • DupliKate
  • Getting Caught
LESLEY spent seven years training as an architect but always dreamed of writing a novel. Eight novels (and counting) later, and aside from building her own home in Ghana, she hasn’t looked back. She splits her time between Johannesburg, Accra and London, (although now she’s dreaming of a flat in Edinburgh) and counts the BA lounges at Heathrow amongst her favourite places in the world.