Start by marking “Sugar Cookies: Sweet Little Lessons on Love” as Want to Read:
Sugar Cookies: Sweet Little Lessons on Love

Sugar Cookies: Sweet Little Lessons on Love

(Cookies)

From the beloved New York Times bestselling author of I Wish You More, Amy Krouse Rosenthal, this delectable follow-up to the bestselling Cookies and Christmas Cookies defines words that are associated with love.

From letting your friend have the last cookie (selfless) to waiting to lick the bowl together (considerate), here is a book for anyone looking for the right words
Published October 27th 2009 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Sugar Cookies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugar Cookies

Start your review of Sugar Cookies: Sweet Little Lessons on Love
Beverly
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-general
Very nice vocabulary builder, as well as encouraging children to acquire positive moral values.
Nicole Maendel
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This whimsically illustrated book is written in such as way as to bring concepts such as 'endearment,' 'expansive love,' 'unconditional love,' 'true love,' 'unrequited love' and 'heartbreak' to young developing minds through the metaphor of cookies. While this book is written for children, it will inspire the adult reader as well. The book is almost poetic and, depending on the child's age, whether or not they understand all of the concepts or words, one thing they will likely feel, while having ...more
Veronica
Apr 28, 2013 added it
Shelves: manners
I'm working on creating a booklist for my local public library. This book was one in consideration for this list.

This will not be on my manners booklist. I have the same problem with it, as I did the other Amy Krouse Rosenthal. It seems like a children't book written for adults. There's no story, the text is difficult to read, the illustrations are beautiful but more geared for an older person, someone who can appreciate the artistic quality, etc.

I think this one is worse than the other because
Apr 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
In this extension of the "Cookie" series, the concepts don't match the cookie-baking activity quite as well. In trying to define love-related concepts, the ideas sometimes become less meaningful rather than expressing the fullness of love that should be there. For example, "cherish" is explained as " there is nowhere in the universe I'd rather be than here in our kitchen, baking sugar cookies with you." But to me "cherish" feels like more than that. Where the previous books fully captured the ...more
Jenn
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amy Krouse Rosenthal does it again. She has created a book that touches everyone -- no matter their age. Her "Cookie" books are a wonderful way to teach vocabulary & life lessons in relation to something we all love: cookies.

I plan to share her "Cookie" books with my MH students as a way to help define words & explore different types of literature. I also plan to use with my LA students (or maybe the LIFE group) to talk about ways to teach life lessons.

Recommended age: EVERYONE!!!
Michelle King
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is cute. It is centered around sugar cookies. It has words on each page that describes love and respect. The author is crafty as she uses joins the concepts of sweets and love. This is another good read to help build community in your classroom and a nice little bedtime story for the little ones.
Shelli
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another sweet story in the “Bite-Size” lesson books by Amy Rosenthal. As with the others this book encourages vocabulary development and diversity while giving sprinkles of morals such as: endearment, consideration, compassion, admiration, forgiveness, and selflessness. This series would be a nice to share with early elementary age students or younger, and a great gift for the holiday season.
Kelli
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, kids-books
Amy Krouse Rosenthal, you have become one of my favorites (it all started with Little Pea). Can we hang out sometime? What a charming, picturesque description of words about love. May we all put them into practice, and use your book as a gentle reminder of "the way we treat another's heart."
Sandie
Nov 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1-children
This was a cute little book. It wasn't a story book like I thought it would be though, more like a vocabulary book. While it had nice pictures and definations of important words and a recipe in the back (I thought that was the best part) it was not real interesting to my 4 year old.
Heidi-Marie
This was probably the sweetest of the 3 cookie books, and may have been a bit much at times. But it's a really fun way to teach various aspects of love. I even smiled at a few because of the cookie-ness of them, but knowing about them in real life. (Like "unrequited" and "requited.")
Laura Giessler
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Didn't love this one as much as the original Cookies, but she does address important words having to do with relationships like unconditional, heartbroken, tenderness. Younger kids wouldn't connect as much to this vocabulary, but it's all good and true.
Michelle
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A charming continuation of Rosenthal's Cookies. No plot, just a series of definitions that use cookies as currency to explain different adjectives & emotions. If you like Rosenthal's books, you'll like this. If you like this, you'll like all the rest of her books.
Kelly
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
My favorite of the three "Cookies" books by Rosenthal. I like the charming, old-fashioned illustrations. I also like the recipe in the back and the big vocab words and the possibility there for teaching. I also like how this book really shows what love is like in its explanations of words.
Shannon Kitchen
Jan 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, love
This would be an excellent book to expand a child's vocabulary.
Jeani
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
More like a dictionary than a story. Cute though.
Sandy T
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sandy by: Amie-or Sue--or was it Lindsay?
Loved it! Going to go out and buy my own copy!
Olson Family Matters
Sweet book about the different words of love. Madelyn loved it.
Stephanie
Nov 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Not as good as Cookies. I felt that they were reaching. These books are great though because we need many books on a subject like this.
Inara
Apr 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Inara says, "I want to make cookies with you."
"I'll share my cookies with you."
"Can we make heart and star cookies?"
Terry
To read our full review, go to the Reading Tub.
Megan
Jun 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
Creepiest children's book I've read in awhile.
Amy-Lynn
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Includes a sugar cookie recipe.
Krystal
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved it!
Libby
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Very similar to the book "Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons," but I have to say that I love that book better than this one. Still a great concept of using cookies as "life lessons."
Alicia

• Llama Llama Mad at Mama
  • When the Moon Comes
  • The Friend Ship
  • Shhh! I'm Sleeping
  • Where Is Home, Little Pip?
  • The Boy Who Cried Ninja
  • Most People

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something

Cookies (4 books)
  • Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons
  • Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons
  • One Smart Cookie: Bite-Size Lessons for the School Years and Beyond
“ADMIRE means, I really look up to you and the way you are with your cookies. You remind me of what is good and possible in this world.” 5 likes