Start by marking “The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs, #7)

The Mapping of Love and Death

(Maisie Dobbs #7)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  22,121 ratings  ·  1,712 reviews
The story opens in August 1914 in the Santa Ynez Valley in California. Michael Clifton—youngest son of an Englishman who had emigrated to America when he was in his late teens, in search of his fortune—has just purchased a tract of land he believes is rich with oil. Fate steps in when Michael learns Britain is going to war in Europe. In a moment of loyalty to his father’s ...more
Published March 23rd 2010 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Mapping of Love and Death, please sign up.
Susan in Perthshire Personally, I think it is better to read them in sequence as Maisie and the other characters do develop over the series of books and a fair bit of tim…morePersonally, I think it is better to read them in sequence as Maisie and the other characters do develop over the series of books and a fair bit of time does pass. You could read them out of sequence - but I think it is much better to start at number 1 and progress through them all. (less)

·  22,121 ratings  ·  1,712 reviews

Start your review of The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs, #7)
Carol
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best yet of this series! Why PBS doesn't make this into a series is beyond me. The writing is tight, the period detail authentic and the stories always compelling.

In this book (number 7 in the series, Maisie Dobbs is on the trail of an what happened to an American cartographer who joined British forces in World War I. He was declared MIA but recently his remains were found... but war wounds were not the cause of his death. Maisie is hired by his family to get to the bottom of the mystery an
Phrynne
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this seventh outing into the life of Maisie Dobbs. The author continues to make Maisie a more sympathetic character and at last she has begun a new romantic attachment. In fact she is beginning a whole new life as the equivalent of the lottery has just landed in her lap! It will be very interesting to see where the author takes us from here.
As in all of the books so far we see and learn lots about the post war period, how people lived and how they overcame the terrible traumas they ha
Hannah
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads, mysteries
Rating Clarification: 4.5 Stars

This installment in the Maisie Dobbs mystery series was good. Seriously good. Easily my new favorite after the debut novel. I enjoyed the mystery, the direction Maisie is taking in her life, and the surprising twist that happened at the book's end. I cannot wait to find out how Maisie (and Billy Beal's) professional and personal lives will be changed by this twist. And for the first time, Maisie didn't grate on my nerves. Has Winspear written her more sympathetical
♥ Sandi ❣
3 stars

Being at about the half way mark in this series, I find it to be like an old shoe. No longer really that appealing, but still pretty comfortable. Too comfortable to throw out. So I will continue to book #8.

Maisie has seemed to grow on me. I don't find her particularly thrilling as an investigator, someone who I can't wait to read, or her stories enthralling, but I do find her, if not a quasi-friend, then at least an amicable acquaintance.

I do find Billy, her associate, charming. And I
Bonnie
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Time calls the Maisie Dobbs Detective series, "A detective series to savor." I have read almost all of them and love Jacqueline Winspear's ability to draw the reader into her world. It is August, 1914 and Michael Clifton is mapping the land he has just purchased in Santa Ynez valley in California. He is almost certain that a great reserve of oil lies beneath. As he is prepared to return home to Boston, war is declared in Europe he puts duty first and sails for Britain to enlist. Three years late ...more
Yune
Apr 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
I turn to the Maisie Dobbs series when I need that tone of quiet understanding, that perfect balance of empathy and rationality. (I think I kind of want to grow up to be Maisie Dobbs, if that makes sense for an adult to say.) She unwinds crimes that are braided into people's lives -- these are not cases of jewelry snatch-'n'-grabs, where relationships exist only to provide suspects; with Winspear, it's the relationships that drive the crimes. And Maisie's priority is more in healing the wounded ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This,in my opinion, is just a consistently excellent series. The weaving together of the WWI story lines with the present times of the 1930s is well done. Now we are moving into the pre WWII times.

It’s refreshing to read the old fashioned way of detection as depicted here. No cell phones, no internet. It’s face to face and lots of footwork to make all the necessary connections needed to solve the cases.
Mal Warwick
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It’s 1932, Maisie Dobbs’ third year in business as an “inquiry agent.” (That’s British for private detective.) As usual, Maisie’s life is complicated. Her assistant, Billy Beale, is working shorter hours to care for his wife, who has just been released from a mental asylum. Maisie’s beloved mentor and former employer, Dr. Maurice Blanche, is in declining health. And two attractive, wealthy men are pursuing her despite her reluctance to take time away from her work. Her agency is doing well even ...more
Robert
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-deals
If you enjoy British mysteries, then THE MAPPING OF LOVE AND DEATH is for you. Jacqueline Winspear creates a heroine in Maisie Dobbs who has a strong moral code, and she’s every bit the three-dimensional character that springs to life in well-written prose. It’s hard not to get behind her and root for her every step of the way.

While I appreciated the writing, the prose felt long and drawn out, the dialogue often turning into monologues instead of having the more immediate punch of a soliloquy. A
Sue
Jul 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mysyery lovers, historical mystery readers
Another enjoyable entry in the Maisie Dobbs series. Rather than enumerate the plot details which are available above, let me say that this novel brings Maisie to a new point in her life. It closes out all aspects of her youth and allows her to move fully into adulthood. At last she knows her place in the world. That brings with it more concerns and questions to be answered in later sequels.

While some of the plot issues may have been solved a bit easily and obviously, I found I didn't mind at all
Heather
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy these books. A solid 4 1/2 stars from me. This is the 7th one in the series. I've always liked the books but this one kept me riveted. I don't know if they are getting better or if I am just so comfortable with the characters now that it is like being with family. I wish I could be as smart as Maisie --the mysteries that she solves always keep me guessing until the very end.
Leslie
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This could be my favorite in the series so far. But then, I may say that every time!
Kathy Davie
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, i-own-this
Seventh in the Maisie Dobbs historical mystery series and revolving around Maisie, a young woman who rose from the servant class to be a psychologist and investigator. This story is set in April 1932 in London.

My Take
Oh. My. God. This story is such a mess of emotion, from the loss of such a promising life, the death of someone important to so many, and the promise of the most amazing future with possibilities in romance, Maisie's work, and her future.

I am most grateful to Winspear for how she en
Carol Kerry-green
The seventh outing for Maisie Dobbs, and Winspear has written another stunner. It is 1932 and Maisie is approached by an elderly American couple Edward and Martha Clifford who have just arrived from France, where their son, Michael's remains were found with the rest of his unit in a shelled out shelter. Michael was a cartographer and thus essential to the war effort, however, the pathologist report into his death indicates that the injuries from the shelling occured after his death and that the ...more
Carolyn Hill
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have read all the installments in the Maisie Dobbs series and find them compelling but weighed down by the sad, grim, heavy atmosphere of the events and repercussions of World War I. Though in this book an American man dies in the trenches with the Brits, his death, proved to be by murder rather than a casualty of the fighting, has less to do with the war than with personal resentment and greed. I found the motivation of the murderer (did he or didn't he intend to kill the victim?) to be a lit ...more
LemonLinda
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
By installment #7 of this series, I have definitely established a long standing relationship with Maisie Dobbs - a relationship that will continue to the end of the series which is currently at 14 so several more to go and I am indeed happy in that regard. Time with Maisie and friends is indeed a special bookish treat.
Jenny
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maisie never disappoints!!! Great read!
Debbie
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
I love Maisie Dobbs. And, until this book, I’d loved all the stories in this mystery series. The book wasn’t bad, mind you, and provided lots of interesting details about the mapping of war.

The Mapping of Love & DeathBut there were just a couple too many coincidences that advanced the solving of the mystery to suit me: Maisie’s friend just happened to try to match-make her at dinner with a man who just happened to know a guy who made films of the troops in WWI and who just happened to have filme
Tiffany
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Love, love, LOVE the Maisie Dobbs books.
Linda
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge
I love these books and they get better with each one! They are so well written that it's a pleasure to read one of Maisie's adventures. I love that there is always so much character growth in each book. This was a very easy to read story and I enjoyed the cartography aspect that was a part of this story. I always love how there are current events mixed with flashbacks and old events. Can't wait to see what happens next!
Teresa
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Another fascinating read as the author continues to explore changing society and the struggles of the different classes. There were some sad and moving elements that show why this series can be so much more than just a mystery... it touches on so many human elements. Aspects of Maisie's personal life aren't quite going as expected so I'm curious to see how all of that develops.

Billy continues to be a delightful assistant, and I hope things continue to look up for him and his family.
Karen KK
Halfway through the series, this is my favorite book thus far.

4.25☆
Genine Franklin-Clark
Thoughtful, dense, worthy of contemplation. A good series, not action-packed but with fully fleshed plots.
Kimberly
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Maise! These books keep getting better. I also love the attention to detail about the post-war time period and WWI psychological, social and physical side effects. Great mystery, great series.
Angela
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maisie is one of the most amazing characters written.
Deb
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite of the Maisie Dobbs series so far!!!
Rana
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh. This one hurt quite a bit.

Loved the cartography bits, never really thought about the need for good mapping during wartime and how that process might look differently than peacetime.
Nancy
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
In the latest mystery in the New York Times bestselling series, Maisie Dobbs must unravel a case of wartime love and death an investigation that leads her to a long-hidden affair between a young cartographer and a mysterious nurse.

August 1914. Michael Clifton is mapping the land he has just purchased in California's beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, certain that oil lies beneath its surface. But as the young cartographer prepares to return home to Boston, war is declared in Europe. Michael the younge
Diane
Jul 08, 2018 added it
Very easy read for summer. This is the first one I have read of this series. I would consider reading more.
Monica
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am with those who believe that the PBS Masterpiece series would do well to create a new series based on the Maisie Dobbs novels, of which this is one of the latest. These are historical fiction, excellently written, that happen in the time between the world wars in and around London, England. They address with deep compassion many of the faults of human beings and our societies, while along the way telling a wonderful and often suspenseful mystery story with an intriguing main character who is ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 6 Jul 11, 2020 01:24AM
How do you feel about Maisie? 15 104 May 01, 2020 06:48PM
Whodunnit? 1 6 Dec 01, 2018 02:49AM
Play Book Tag: The Mapping of Love and Death by Jacqueline Winspear - 4 stars 3 16 May 29, 2016 02:03PM
Jacqueline Winspear 2 37 Oct 21, 2012 05:38AM

• Princess Elizabeth's Spy (Maggie Hope Mystery, #2)
  • Mr. Churchill's Secretary (Maggie Hope Mystery, #1)
  • His Majesty's Hope (Maggie Hope Mystery, #3)
  • All the Devils Are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #16)
  • The Prime Minister's Secret Agent (Maggie Hope, #4)
  • Mrs. Roosevelt’s Confidante (Maggie Hope Mystery, #5)
  • The King's Justice (Maggie Hope #9)
  • The Queen's Accomplice (Maggie Hope Mystery #6)
  • A Duty to the Dead (Bess Crawford, #1)
  • An Impartial Witness (Bess Crawford, #2)
  • A Bitter Truth (Bess Crawford, #3)
  • The Paris Spy (Maggie Hope, #7)
  • An Unmarked Grave (Bess Crawford, #4)
  • The Prisoner in the Castle (Maggie Hope, #8)
  • A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • A Question of Honor (Bess Crawford, #5)
  • This Side of Murder (Verity Kent, #1)
  • An Unwilling Accomplice (Bess Crawford, #6)
Jacqueline Winspear was born and raised in the county of Kent, England. Following higher education at the University of London’s Institute of Education, Jacqueline worked in academic publishing, in higher education and in marketing communications in the UK.

She emigrated to the United States in 1990, and while working in business and as a personal / professional coach, Jacqueline embarked upon a li

Maisie Dobbs (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1)
  • Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, #2)
  • Pardonable Lies (Maisie Dobbs, #3)
  • Messenger of Truth (Maisie Dobbs, #4)
  • An Incomplete Revenge (Maisie Dobbs, #5)
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
  • A Lesson in Secrets (Maisie Dobbs, #8)
  • Elegy for Eddie (Maisie Dobbs, #9)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs, #10)
  • A Dangerous Place (Maisie Dobbs, #11)