Start by marking “The Mapping of Love and Death” as Want to Read:
The Mapping of Love and Death

The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs #7)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  16,282 Ratings  ·  1,345 Reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Jacqueline Winspear, now available in paperback—the newest installment in the New York Times bestselling series, Maisie Dobbs is hired to unravel a case of wartime love and death, an investigation that leads her to a doomed affair between a young cartographer and a mysterious nurse.

August 1914. As Michael Clifton is mapping land he ha
Published April 22nd 2011 by HarperCollins (first published March 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Mapping of Love and Death, please sign up.

Susan in Perthshire Personally, I think it is better to read them in sequence as Maisie and the other characters do develop over the series of books and a fair bit of…morePersonally, I think it is better to read them in sequence as Maisie and the other characters do develop over the series of books and a fair bit of time does pass. You could read them out of sequence - but I think it is much better to start at number 1 and progress through them all. (less)

Carol
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best yet of this series! Why PBS doesn't make this into a series is beyond me. The writing is tight, the period detail authentic and the stories always compelling.

In this book (number 7 in the series, Maisie Dobbs is on the trail of an what happened to an American cartographer who joined British forces in World War I. He was declared MIA but recently his remains were found... but war wounds were not the cause of his death. Maisie is hired by his family to get to the bottom of the mystery an
Phrynne
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this seventh outing into the life of Maisie Dobbs. The author continues to make Maisie a more sympathetic character and at last she has begun a new romantic attachment. In fact she is beginning a whole new life as the equivalent of the lottery has just landed in her lap! It will be very interesting to see where the author takes us from here.
As in all of the books so far we see and learn lots about the post war period, how people lived and how they overcame the terrible traumas they ha
Hannah
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, 2011-reads
Rating Clarification: 4.5 Stars

This installment in the Maisie Dobbs mystery series was good. Seriously good. Easily my new favorite after the debut novel. I enjoyed the mystery, the direction Maisie is taking in her life, and the surprising twist that happened at the book's end. I cannot wait to find out how Maisie (and Billy Beal's) professional and personal lives will be changed by this twist. And for the first time, Maisie didn't grate on my nerves. Has Winspear written her more sympathetical
Yune
Apr 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I turn to the Maisie Dobbs series when I need that tone of quiet understanding, that perfect balance of empathy and rationality. (I think I kind of want to grow up to be Maisie Dobbs, if that makes sense for an adult to say.) She unwinds crimes that are braided into people's lives -- these are not cases of jewelry snatch-'n'-grabs, where relationships exist only to provide suspects; with Winspear, it's the relationships that drive the crimes. And Maisie's priority is more in healing the wounded ...more
Sue
Jul 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mysyery lovers, historical mystery readers
Another enjoyable entry in the Maisie Dobbs series. Rather than enumerate the plot details which are available above, let me say that this novel brings Maisie to a new point in her life. It closes out all aspects of her youth and allows her to move fully into adulthood. At last she knows her place in the world. That brings with it more concerns and questions to be answered in later sequels.

While some of the plot issues may have been solved a bit easily and obviously, I found I didn't mind at all
Robert
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-deals
If you enjoy British mysteries, then THE MAPPING OF LOVE AND DEATH is for you. Jacqueline Winspear creates a heroine in Maisie Dobbs who has a strong moral code, and she’s every bit the three-dimensional character that springs to life in well-written prose. It’s hard not to get behind her and root for her every step of the way.

While I appreciated the writing, the prose felt long and drawn out, the dialogue often turning into monologues instead of having the more immediate punch of a soliloquy. A
Mal Warwick
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s 1932, Maisie Dobbs’ third year in business as an “inquiry agent.” (That’s British for private detective.) As usual, Maisie’s life is complicated. Her assistant, Billy Beale, is working shorter hours to care for his wife, who has just been released from a mental asylum. Maisie’s beloved mentor and former employer, Dr. Maurice Blanche, is in declining health. And two attractive, wealthy men are pursuing her despite her reluctance to take time away from her work. Her agency is doing well even ...more
Heather
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy these books. A solid 4 1/2 stars from me. This is the 7th one in the series. I've always liked the books but this one kept me riveted. I don't know if they are getting better or if I am just so comfortable with the characters now that it is like being with family. I wish I could be as smart as Maisie --the mysteries that she solves always keep me guessing until the very end.
Kathy Davie
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, i-own-this
Seventh in the Maisie Dobbs historical mystery series and revolving around Maisie, a young woman who rose from the servant class to be a psychologist and investigator. This story is set in April 1932 in London.

My Take
Oh. My. God. This story is such a mess of emotion, from the loss of such a promising life, the death of someone important to so many, and the promise of the most amazing future with possibilities in romance, Maisie's work, and her future.

I am most grateful to Winspear for how she en
Jenny
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maisie never disappoints!!! Great read!
Play Book Tag: The Mapping of Love and Death by Jacqueline Winspear - 4 stars 3 12 May 29, 2016 02:03PM
How do you feel about Maisie? 14 95 Jun 16, 2015 10:25PM
Jacqueline Winspear 2 35 Oct 21, 2012 05:38AM
  • An Unmarked Grave (Bess Crawford, #4)
  • The Language of Bees (Mary Russell, #9)
  • For the Love of Mike (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #3)
  • His Majesty's Hope (Maggie Hope Mystery, #3)
  • Shoulder the Sky (World War I, #2)
Jacqueline Winspear was born and raised in the county of Kent, England. Following higher education at the University of London’s Institute of Education, Jacqueline worked in academic publishing, in higher education and in marketing communications in the UK.

She emigrated to the United States in 1990, and while working in business and as a personal / professional coach, Jacqueline embarked upon a li
More about Jacqueline Winspear...

Maisie Dobbs (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1)
  • Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, #2)
  • Pardonable Lies (Maisie Dobbs, #3)
  • Messenger of Truth (Maisie Dobbs, #4)
  • An Incomplete Revenge (Maisie Dobbs, #5)
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
  • A Lesson in Secrets (Maisie Dobbs, #8)
  • Elegy for Eddie (Maisie Dobbs, #9)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs, #10)
  • A Dangerous Place (Maisie Dobbs, #11)
“. . . if the way ahead is not clear, time is often the best editor of one's intentions.” 8 likes
“... the vacuum left by the departing visitor seemed to echo along the hallway and into the walls. It was at those times, when her aloneness took on a darker hue, that she almost wished there would be no more guess, for then there would be no chasm of emptiness for her to negotiate when they were gone.” 5 likes