Start by marking “Jonathan Edwards and the Ministry of the Word: A Model of Faith and Thought” as Want to Read:
Jonathan Edwards and the Ministry of the Word: A Model of Faith and Thought

Jonathan Edwards and the Ministry of the Word: A Model of Faith and Thought

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Jonathan Edwards has been recognized as the most influential evangelical theologian of all time. Before his death at the age of fifty-four, he had sparked a new movement of Reformed evangelicals who played a major role in fueling the rise of modern missions, preaching revivals far and wide, and wielding the cutting edge of American theology. He has never gone out of print, ...more
Published May 22nd 2009 by IVP Academic

To ask other readers questions about Jonathan Edwards and the Ministry of the Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jonathan Edwards and the Ministry of the Word

Josh
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
A good, short biography of Jonathan Edwards. For in-depth analysis, read George Marsden. For a basic introduction, this would be a good place to start.
Tom Bazan
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: people
Having never read a biography of Edwards, Jonathan Edwards and the Ministry of the Word seems to have been a good place to start. I had high hopes for this book--mostly from my anticipated love of all things Jonathan Edwards. And Sweeney did not disappoint. He brings together two seemingly important parts: what actually happened and why it mattered. He puts Edwards' story not only where it belongs in history, but also in terms of the theology that would have been prevalent and why Edwards was di ...more
Emmanuel Boston
Feb 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Pastors
Jonathan Edwards is long known as the greatest theologian America has ever produced. This book doubles as a brief biography of Edwards and a case for the centrality of the word of God.

Thesis: This book on Jonathan Edwards shall be used to engage the attention of Christians, advancing the ministry of the Word around the world.

Sweeney has written this book for pastors and lay people—it is not at all difficult to understand. If you want to know more about Jonathan Edwards, but are intimidated by th
Ben Laur
Pastoral Biographical Reflection on Edwards' Life & Ministry of the Word

A biography of Edwards "aimed at fellow Christians, people looking for a state-of-the-art discussion of his life in order to use him as a model of Christian faith, thought, and ministry" especially is it concerns Edwards ministry of the word and the lessons that we can learn in order to advance the power of God's Word in our contemporary world" (17).

This book aims to help the reader better understand not only Edwards him
Matt
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious, biography
This was a thoughtful biography of a man I knew too little about. I appreciated how much of Edwards own words were embedded in the text. That allowed me to see a bit of Edwards heart and mind through his own words. Edwards wrote so much, it can be a bit challenging to know where to start reading; this book laid a nice groundwork for me and gave me some ideas about where to go next.

Edwards challenges me to live with an eternal focus. I especially love how much pleasure he took in communion with G
Vaughn
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fast, engaging, and extremely edifying.

This book offered a concise summary of Edwards' life, times, and theology and followed with a handful of considerations (lessons) for the church today, for example:

... the importance of working to help people gain a vivid sense, an urgent impression, of God’s activity in our world.

... true religion is primarily a matter of holy affections.

... keeping an eschatological perspective on our lives.

... theology can and should be done primarily in the church, by
Jacob
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a fascinating book on Jonathan Edwards. I didn't know much about him before this other than his sermon Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God. Really learned a lot about him and want to learn more and read some of his sermons and works. The author ended the book with 7 theses for discussion to reflect on what we can learn from his life.

One sentence really struck me: He loved the Lord with his mind. As more of a thinker than a feeler, this was really interesting and convicting.

Would defin
Wadecashion
Nov 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
WOW!! Great book! Wonderful insight into who Edwards was. Great quotes all through.

"Oftentimes in reading it, every word seemed to touch my heart. I felt an harmony between something in my heart, and those sweet and powerful words. I seemed often to see so much light, exhibited by every sentence, and such a refreshing ravishing food communicated, that I could not get along in reading. Used oftentimes to dwell long on one sentence, to wee the wonders contained in it; and yet almost every sentenc
David Luke
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good little book on Edwards. Written by a leading Edwards' scholar but at a popular level. Whilst it covers a lot of familiar ground it has two notable strengths. One, it is very good at setting Edwards' life in the context of colonial New England. Two, it is perhaps the best treatment of Edwards as a flesh and blood human being I have read. A good read for anyone interested in finding out more about Edwards' life. Substantial footnotes offer plenty of scope for further reading.
Quinn Steffen
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
Terrific biography by Sweeney. Excellent starting point for those interested in learning about America's Greatest theologian. Well researched with plenty of footnotes and suggested resources for further in-depth study of any of the topics and themes covered. Highly recommended.
Hannes
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This is my first book on Jonathan Edwards. It probably was a good pick, but I would have wated to read more biographical information.
Curt Mize
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Easily accessible writing style. A very human look at Edwards, Sweeney does a good job avoiding hagiography. This could function concise version of the magisterial Edwards biography done by Marsden.
Mike
Jul 11, 2009 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: devout Christians; American History buffs.
Recommended to Mike by: InterVaristy Press Comp. Copy
Biographical and fawning. So far, so good though, since I like the guy and the historical nature of his ministry.
Jake Sherron
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent biography on Jonathan Edwards. Very well written. This is a must read for anyone who wants to begin studying Edwards' doctrine and life.
Dan Krodel
May 10, 2016
Ty Kieser
Sep 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Douglas A. Sweeney (PhD, Vanderbilt University) is professor of church history and the history of Christian thought and chair of the department at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois. He is the author of The American Evangelical Story.
“What a precious treasure God has committed into our hands in that he has given us the Bible. How little do most persons consider how much they enjoy in that they have the possession of that holy book. ... What an excellent book is this, and how far exceeding all human writings.... He that has a Bible, and don’t observe what is contained [in] it, is like a man that has a box full of silver and gold, and don’t know it.” 0 likes
“Edwards taught that “most ... are to blame” for their “inattentive, unobservant way of reading” this gift of heaven. “The word of God contains the most noble, and worthy, and entertaining objects, ... the most excellent things that man can exercise his thoughts about.” Those who had truly “tasted the sweetness” of God’s Scriptural divinity ought to live out their days, he said, in “longing for more and more of it.”126” 0 likes