Start by marking “Spike Omnibus” as Want to Read:
Spike Omnibus

Spike Omnibus

(Spike Comics (Buffy Vampire Slayer))

Includes such stories as 'Lost & Found', 'Old Wounds', 'Old Times', 'Spike vs Dracula', and 'Shadow Puppets'.
Published November 1st 2009 by IDW Publishing (first published October 29th 2009)

Brittany
This disappointment is more than overwhelming right now. How did this go so wrong? The first 265 pages of this were total shit and a waste of time. Asylum was a really legit story that made up about 100 pages. And Shadow Puppets, while funny, was not what I was expecting.

***Spoiler free review. Unless you haven't watched the Buffy and Angel TV shows. In that case, there will be spoilers.***

I knew going into this that most of these stories about Spike take place between the time that Spike gets h
archdandy
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Angel Fans, Buffy Fans, Especially Spike Fans, Whedon Fans
I loved it! It was really great to be able to read all about Spike's adventures and it renewed my love for him as a character. He is much more of a rounded character than Angel ever will be! This is definitely going on my favorites shelf.
Suvi
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review (and thoughts about Buffy and Angel) coming up later. Whenever I figure out how to write about this stuff without sounding like a squeeing fangirl. Haven't had that feeling for a long time. Damn it.

Edited 13.8.2012 Right, let's try this. NOTE! If you haven't seen Buffy or Angel yet, you might want to skip the following chapters and move on after the asterisks. Then again, if you're not interested in the TV shows, you might not care.

I watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel when they we
Caty
Jul 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
O Spike, I'd been lost without you. I devoured this appropriately thick book of your adventures during off hours at the motel on Wed. The whole Buffyverse would be nothing but a black hole without you, and to have MORE of you, canonical but beyond the TV show, made my heart pitter fucking patter. Esp. the long bit in the middle, Spike Vs. Dracula, b/c I have a soft spot for the Buffyverse's Vlad Tepes as well. And besides, it showed you in little clips from 1898 to 2003, always in high and hip c ...more
Jim C
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an omnibus that is about a character that is part of the Buffy universe. Spike is a vampire with a soul and all of these stories take place during the final season of Angel. The reader's enjoyment would be enhanced if they are familiar with the television series.

I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. I always thought adding Spike to the final season of the show was fantastic and this collection just adds to it. I am a sucker when a story provides easter eggs and callbacks to pr
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Its Spike...being. Well, Spike. Covering everything from spats with vengeance demons, Dracula, and evil puppets, and throughout every tale, Spike manages to deal with every fight and letdown with a good zinger and style that is certainly all his own.

Team Spike!
Sophia
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed theses stories!! I was unsure of the continuity for some of them but they were good none the less. After reading Spike vs. Dracula, it makes sense what he says in that season five episode, I liked that they made that connection. I love how their issue was over something so silly but it was classic Spike! Spike: Asylum was one of the stories that I was really unsure about. The story line was alright but it was a lot more bloody that the Buffyverse usually is and a lot more crazy (w ...more
Max Nemtsov
Nov 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
two last stories, "asylum", and "shadow puppets", are somehow the best in the series
Jsrott
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started this having read several of the Buffy omnibuses (omnibi?) and I enjoyed them, but when the action shifts to Spike the great part is that the writers have a lot more freedom to go crazy, and it works. These stories serve to both add to the mythology and develop the character even beyond where the TV shows leave off. Yet, while they are gonzo, they stay true to the characters and their various idiosyncrasies. I would even go so far as to say I enjoyed these more than the Buffy omnibuses.
Shaun
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the different stories found in the omnibus. Spike is a favorite of mine from the Buffy universe. Whether facing down Dracula or demon puppets, the Spike Omnibus has something for any Spike fan.
Skyler Boudreau
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just as great as I expected. It’s nice to dive back into this franchise.
Lani
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed these witty, beautiful stories about a complicated character.
Isabelle
Mar 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
I just couldn't keep going. Some of the art didn't even look like Spike and I was frequently thinking "Spike would never say that!"
Slayermel
Aug 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any Buffy & Angel fan
In the Spike Omnibus you will find the following comic series collected and put together for you in one place for your reading enjoyment.

Spike: Old Times
In this story Spike meets Halfrek in a local Bar and after catching up with her discovers that she is there on a vengeance job. Spike decides he’s going to do everything he can to help her target survive his 30th birthday, which no other male in his family has been able to do.

Spike: Old Wounds
Fred is abducted on her way into work one morning, a
Erin
This collection was so much better than I had expected. Spike is probably the best character in the Buffyverse (okay, maybe 2nd to Anya), and this look at extra side-trips into Spike's history as well as what Spike was doing in LA during the Angel years is a lot of fun. I really appreciate the little nods to events that happened in the Buffy and Angel tv shows, the acknowledgement of really bizarre plot devices, and references to other Whedon projects. I think that the last story, "Shadow Puppet ...more
Greg
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic collection. I particularly liked the older stories at the beginning but they were all good. I even found, on a second reading, that I enjoyed the Shadow Puppets entry. Perhaps having a little more time with the character, chronologically, made it work better for me. Oddly, I thought that reading the Asylum story would help fill in some much needed gaps and help me understand these characters that I've met in other stories a bit better. I thought the story was great but I was ...more
Kate M. Colby
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fun collection of stories that center on the character of Spike, both his past (before Buffy) and his "present" (side adventures that take place during the TV show Angel). The writing is witty, clever, and stays true to Spike's voice and character, and the stories themselves are entertaining, while revealing more about how Spike evolved into the "man" he is today and how he views himself in relation to the other Angel characters. The artwork is expressive and beautifully done, though there was ...more
Patricia Puckett
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful collection of Spike-oriented graphic novels. It included some of the ones I'd been dying to read--such as Spike: Asylum and Spike vs. Dracula. But the others certainly did not disappoint. The dialogue was on-point, and the characters introduced in Aslyum that carried through to Shadow Puppets (with the addition of Tok, of course) were so wonderful that I really wish Whedon would do a live action series based off this group. Wonderful story-telling, reuniting some characters ...more
Christina Noll
I started this book in the summer but quickly realized I needed to see Spike’s time on Angel to understand many stories in this collection. So I eventually did watch Angel and love Spike’s time there, also loving many of the other characters. And I was finally able to come back to this book. I have to say the authors really get Spike. There are many laugh out loud moments that are spot on Spike. I loved every bit of this. Some of the artwork isn’t spot on Spike but ONLY some. All in all I highly ...more
Hannah
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Who doesn't like Spike, right? The Omnibus is a great collection of Spike comics, all dedicated to revealing things which happened behind the scenes of what we've seen with Spike before in the Buffy and Angel television shows. Some of it is about his old life--first becoming a vampire, fighting with Dracula, etc. And some it is set when he wasn't "in town" helping Angel and that gang after getting his soul. This was really fun for me to read. It gave me everything I've grown to love about Spike ...more
Marissa
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buffyverse
Spike is hands down my favorite Buffy character and one of my favorite fictional characters of all time. If you're Team Spike this book is a must have. If you're considering getting Shadow Puppets or Asylum this book contains both. Spike vs. Dracula is my favorite story. (You find out why he owes Spike 11 quid.)

If you're a Spike fan or like the Buffy comics I also recommend Spike the Complete Series. Some great character growth from Spike and I find his and Willow's relationship to be adorable.
Chelsea
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
I am an absolute Buffy fan. However, Spike is my favorite character of all time! This collection is a must for any Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Spike fan. I loved how he was portrayed in all the stories and many of them were very original. I also liked how there was a continuity to the order of the collection. You could tell that all this happened after the final season of Angel, and that they happened in order. I liked how characters that were introduced in earlier stories were used again later. ...more
Adam Ross
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A good collection of Spike stories, though with varying levels of quality. Some, like the Japanese shadow puppet demons, was pitch perfect, like it was the show all over again. Others felt strained, or occasionally out of character. I was particularly looking forward to the Spike vs. Dracula comic, since it came directly out of a reference from the show, but the artwork was barely recognizable as Spike or any of the other characters, which was frustrating, and the story was only so-so. Still, so ...more
Alexandria Darcy
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Considering I only read this for the last two stories, written by Brian Lynch, it was actually very good. Although, I have to say, the stories that were heavy with Drusilla didn't write Drusilla very well. She was crazier than that, and it bugged me how coherent she was pretty much ALL the time. I think it was just the Dracula story that had that problem. Otherwise, brilliant stuff, very cool artwork!
Ariyana Spencer
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A must-have for fans of Spike, I'd say. Not a perfect collection, by far, and probably not worth the full five stars I'm giving it--there were places where I had complaints about some of the art or layout choices--but it's worth the purchase, especially if you've ever wanted to own one (or more) of the arcs in the collection.

The one major con of this purchase? Now I really miss Spike... Thank goodness for Buffy Season 9, I suppose.
Katie
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's a whole book about Spike. Need I say more? The art was really great for the first half, too, then the artist changed. The stories were still well written, and Spike was as witty and funny as ever. My favorite was Spike vs Dracula, as Spike vs Dracula multiple times- and always wins. Not really a spoiler, in my opinion, as he is the main character, so what else would you expect? A good book for Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans, and the best book for fans of Spike!
Christy
Apr 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2010
My favorite was the last story (return of the puppets, as promised by images on the back cover), though I recommend still reading them in order, since it uses characters it introduced in an earlier story.

Also, finding out Halfrek was Cecily! After reading that story, I had to rewatch the episode "Older and Far Away" since that's apparently where we should have found out that the show wasn't just reusing actresses by having Kali Rocha play both Cecily and Halfrek.
Cat
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics

I got a while lotta love for Spike so this is a definite five star. I loves the going back in time and understanding what drives him to do the thins he does. You get to see how he gets enrolled by the nazi. How he had to clear his name of the Black Dahlia murder with Fred's help. And finally, my very very favorite, u get to see him tackle on evil Smile Time in Japan with Lorne. Wee little puppet men!! Totally awesome!!!! I laughed so much :)
Mysty Vander
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel is everything you would expect it to be and more.

The plot is written in true Spike style; and if you didn't like him before, you'll absolutely adore him now. I have always been a huge fan of Spike ever since the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer series, and now? Now my love for the character is even more fueled. The story is exciting, fast-paced, and inclusive to enough characters to keep you busy all the while being wholly entertained by everyone's favourite vampire.
Jennifer Collins
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a good collection of spike stories for any die hard fan. The only one I was thrilled with was "Spike vs.Dracula". The story felt forced to me, almost as if it was just a fun history story with Spike added in. I really liked the art in "Lost and Found" and "Old Wounds" the best and the story in "Asylum" the best. Happy I was able to read these!

• Angel Omnibus
  • Spike: Asylum
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 7
  • Angel & Faith #1
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 4
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Panel to Panel
  • Angel, Volume 1: Immortality For Dummies
  • Angel: Aftermath (Volume 5)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum

Spike Comics (Buffy Vampire Slayer) (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Spike
  • Spike: Shadow Puppets
  • Spike vs. Dracula
  • Spike: Old Times (Buffy The Vampire Slayer)
  • Spike: Asylum