Start by marking “Midnight Voices” as Want to Read:

Midnight Voices

The sudden, tragic death of her husband leaves Caroline Evans alone in New York City to raise her children with little money and even less hope. When she meets and marries handsome, successful Anthony Fleming, the charismatic man of her dreams, she believes her life is destined for happiness. She and her children move into her new husband’s spacious apartment in the legend ...more
Published March 4th 2003 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Voices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Voices

Sandra
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recently widowed Caroline Evans, who has two children, (10-year-old Ryan and 12-year-old Laurie) remarries and moves into new husband’s home, an old apartment building in New York City called The Rockwell. The kids hate it and want to move back to their old home. The Rockwell has a reputation for being a spooky old building. Ryan dislikes his mom’s new husband Anthony. He finds the tenants in the building (who are mostly elderly) strange and creepy. Soon, one of Caroline’s friends, who was check ...more
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I would actually list this among my favorite John Saul books. It's just so interesting to me.

Making up his mind, Ryan sucked his lungs full of air, then began running toward the precipice.
One step. Two steps. Three steps.
His right leg stretched forward, raised high, and his foot found the top of the rampart. He swung his arms back, heaved himself forward, and led off into the air with his left foot.
His right foot left the rampart, and he was suspended in mid-air.
And time seemed to stop, stretch
Calvin Dean
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've read several John Saul books over the past 10 years. In the spring of 2013, My wife picked up Midnight Voices, published in 2002, at a local library sale. I added it to my to-read list and I am glad I did. In my humble opinion, this was one of Saul's better offerings.

A mother, Caroline, meets and marries Tony after her husband was killed while jogging in Central Park in NY. With two kids in tow, the new family takes up residence in hubby's apartment in a haunting old building beside the pa
Jamie (The Kansan Reader)
I have read two other John Saul books. He has fabulous writing. One book I did not like due to it being very scary and giving me nightmares while the other I simply enjoyed. Since October is coming up and I am starting into my horror/thriller stage of the year I decided to read another book by him. I went to the library, searched his section, and come out with this book.

This book has two parts. They all start with a nightmare.

The first nightmare! The first part. We meet all of the characters in
Peter
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Continuing with John Saul I read Midnight Voices and was absolutely flabbergasted how good this novel is. After a slow start on the murder of a beloved husband and an eerie dream sequence the horror takes off into a spellbinding story with great reference to Rosmary's Baby and a bit of Ken Eulo's Brownstone series. What is the reason for the elderly people being that friendly to Caroline and her kids? Why is the other young girl living with her foster parants in the Blackwell building constantly ...more
Daniel
Jul 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Having read most of John Saul's books, I would rank Midnight Voices very near the bottom of the list. It's a fairly predictable storyline, but it does mark a slight departure from Saul's typical portrayal of some adolescent facing unknown horrors pretty much on his/her own. That's not to say that this novel doesn't have adolescents in danger because it most certainly does, but I think Saul does a decent job of shifting perspective among several characters this time around. When all is said and d ...more
Uppili Vijay Sriraman
Aug 07, 2010 rated it did not like it
C Solis-Sublette
May 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
I've read better by this author. I think what annoyed me about this one is that all of the women characters were stereotypical types. The protagonist just didn't gain my sympathy because she should have been more careful and cautious all along. She redeems herself, a little, towards the end but...meh. The only female character that is interesting is married to her job, mateless, and is killed. And...what the heck happened to Chloe?
Dustin
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any fans of John Saul and/or the supernatural

I'm not a particularly big fan of John Saul. In the early 90's, I tried Sleepwalk, along with two others, found in John Saul: Hellfire, The Unwanted, Sleepwalk. They did little to nothing for me, due mostly to the the fact that they all felt the same, in a very cliched way.

Years later, I borrowed Midnight Voices from a relative, because it piqued my interest. And at first, I liked it enough to keep reading, but it wasn't really anything I'd praise, or even recommend. Then, about halfway throug
Christine Schmidt
Sep 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
I will never read another Saul book if I can help it. You know the entire plot from about p. 5. The writing was repetitive, overlong, the opposite of suspenseful. What King can do in a few words Saul needs and always takes three papargraphs to describe. He recycles blurbs about people feeling apprehension, terror, unease. It is so plodding as to be maddening. Completely predictable. I couldn't wait to finish & get rid of it. Especially annoying was his overuse of "as well." No wonder he has ...more
William
Jan 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is the first John Saul I have read and it definitely won't be the last. Mr. Saul is an incredible storyteller. His plot is solid as well as descriptions and character development.

As far as the story goes, I was intrigued. It was dark and foreboding but with little of the modern gore that seems to define horror these days. This is a type of story that seeps into your subconscious to make your hairs stand up without you really understanding why.
C.
Really intense paranormal/horror/suspense set in a creepy NYC apartment.Loved the Central Park setting, and the wonderful character development.I really cared about the widow and her two children.

A very hard to put down read,so read when you have the free time!

Highly recommended for those who love 'clean' horror-suspense without the profanity/graphic sex/and splatter-gore.
Gina
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Creepy! My first book I ever read by John Saul and I believe this iis the book that got me into him! I highly reccomend it!
Vicki
Oct 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads
I really enjoyed this book I stared it on Monday and I was done reading it Thursday I have never read a book that quick in my life.I had to quite reading it at night because it was so creepy.
Matthew Bielawa
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A solid read. I really REALLY loved the first half, when you're introduced to the characters, the events begin to unfold....and you step into the Rockwell, a strange building on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
Susan Mackie Powers
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've been a fan of John Saul's books for several years; honestly, I turn to his stories when I'm in the mood for Stephen King, but may not have the time to read a longer, more involved story. Midnight Voices was one of his more interesting novels. I've seen it compared to Rosemary's Baby, which is one of my all time favorite horror movies. I could see the comparison, but it didn't scare me as much as Mia Farrow finding out that she had been impregnated with the Devil's Spawn.

Midnight Voices is a
Lynette
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
I had a difficult time with this book. I did not know anything about it and was expecting it to be a mystery...which it was, but I don't go for the beyond reality sort of mystery unless it is clear that is the genre. E.g., it features wizards or magic or whatnot.

Also, this author began too many sentences with the word "but" which as any high school english might tell you, it just not right. Ok, I can allow for this some of the time, because that is how people talk. However, when several sentenc
Bren
Perhaps my least fav of his books.

Very rarely do I dole out a one rating to John SAUL. But this was not up my alley. So so different from his early works.

SPOILERS:

I just felt like I needed a shower reading this. The graphic scenes of what happens to the c hildren made me a bit sick. In some of his more early works, Saul was heavy on dialogue and I found his books unputdownable. Not so, this.

Victoria Martinez
Feb 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
After loosing her husband and barely being able to make ends meet, the main character meets a new gentleman who she ends up marrying. She moves into his apartment building with her two children who all the elderly residents in the apartment building fall in love with. Little does she know that her new husband and the residents of the building have their own agenda for her children. Great book. I highly recommend it!!
Rusu Ilinca
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book...well, IT WASN'T HORRIFYING at all! The action was mostly dull and it didn't raised my interest in any kind. Then, the Romanian link (Transylvania) was not good enough to mention it in this book.
The characters were not particulary described and they were put in this novel just to make some action in order to 'create' a book. This was NOT a well written horror story!
Arista
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
loved this book, a very unique story line involving strange things that I never though could happen. A def must read
Megan
Jun 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who like horror
Shelves: thriller
A page-turner with a creepy ending!
Chantal
A little creepy for me but a good read! I had a hard time putting it down!
Rob1109
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I’ll start my review of “Midnight Voices” by saying I generally don’t read this type of genre. I prefer suspense/thriller, mysteries, police procedurals, etc…The authors I like are Box, Connelly, Eisler, Gripando, Scottoline, Gerritsen and others along those lines.

However, once in a while I’ll read something out of the norm and decided to read Midnight Voices. I’ve read John Saul before and found his novels…okay. Not great, but considering this isn’t a genre I read often, it always accomplished
Jessie
Midnight Voices

This is one of the few times that I had to put down a book for a couple of hours towards the beginning. It has nothing to do with the writing style, which is as impeccable as John Saul normally is, but because the family the book is about are so dang likeable that you don’t want to read further and risk learning what bad things are going to happen to them. It’s easiest to just imagine that the biggest issue in the book is that Ryan doesn’t like his new stepfather. You don’t want t
Mariella Deliyannis
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
John Saul and I are doing friends on the sense that I have read quite a few books of his and I was never disappointed. Thus book was rather an exception as it was slow at first. The first half of the book was dragging and did not convey the anticipated sense of foreboding and darkness, as all the others. The second half is pretty good and typical Saul and saved the dragging half.
The subject of the book is not new: vampires using the life force and bodies of the children to retain and regain yout
Geoff Battle
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
John Saul, the undisputed master of family based terror, pitches this story in the city centre, an unusual urban setting for him. What remains is the same brooding horror, as another family unit is thrust in to circumstances beyond their comprehension. The first half of Midnight Voices is slow, deliberately so, and all the better for it. The tension mounts as the mother, son and daughter face what seems to be a very slight menace. Saul doesn't overdo the plot, it's tight and well constructed, a ...more
Deborah Schultz
This isn't what I usually think of as science fiction. The science that was in it was medical and felt paranormal, in the realm of witchcraft. It was very disturbing. This felt more like it belonged in the horror genre, but not really good like Stephen King. I enjoyed most of the book as I read it, but it left me with an unpleasant feeling in the end, like having a bad taste in my mouth after eating something. He is a good author and the book was well written, and the suspense built and held me ...more
Scott Johanson
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Buggsby
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The imagery was great in this one. It's the first thing I've read from john Saul and he really knows how to create an atmosphere. Not sure why though but about halfway through I almost gave up. Might just not have caught my interest enough.

I'll tell you what though; the ending was worth it. Not going to spoil it for anyone but I like how things ended up and there was a certain creep factor that I haven't been able to get from books normally. Not a spine chiller or a page turner but certainly som
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• University
  • Somebody Come And Play
  • The Doorkeepers
  • Sacrifice
  • Baaa
  • Mischief (Harrow House, #2)
  • A House Divided
  • Bentz & Montoya : Hot Blooded / Cold Blooded / Shiver / Absolute Fear / Lost Souls / Malice / Extended Excerpt from Devious (New Orleans #1-6)
  • Arcadian Genesis (Alex Hunter, #0.5)
  • Flesh Gothic
  • Nightwatcher (Nightwatcher #1)
  • Slavecraft: Roadmaps for Erotic Servitude, Principles, Skills and Tools
  • Four Corners of Night
  • Punk'd and Skunked (Rotten School, #11)
  • Face
  • The House of Thunder
  • God And The Evolving Universe
  • The Happiness Makeover: How to Teach Yourself to Be Happy and Enjoy Every Day
John Saul grew up in Whittier California where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he decided the best thing for a college dropout to