Start by marking “The Inner Sky: How to Make Wiser Choices for a More Fulfilling Life” as Want to Read:
The Inner Sky: How to Make Wiser Choices for a More Fulfilling Life

The Inner Sky: How to Make Wiser Choices for a More Fulfilling Life

"The Inner Sky" provides everyone with a "dynamic new astrology". It covers astrological basics: the planets, signs, houses, and aspects. It includes a chapter on putting it all together in interpreting a chart.
Published June 1st 1989 by Astro Communications Services (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Inner Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inner Sky

Kerry Simmons
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: astrology
This is one of several books that I always recommend to people who tell me they are interested in learning Astrology because it is fun and easy to read, while also being filled with delightful and relevant information.

It bears noting that the original subtitle of The Inner Sky was "The Dynamic New Astrology for Everyone" and that was probably a more accurate description than the newer "How to Make Wiser Choices for a More Fulfilling Life" currently used in the book title. This is NOT a self-hel
William Strasse
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently picked up another Forrest book ("The Book Of Pluto") and remembered this one, which I read several years ago and have given copies to at least a couple of friends. I want to recommend this book strongly, not only to "beginners" but to anyone wanting to gain a very clear understanding of what the signs, houses and aspects are about. That is Forrest's main strength...using poignant imagery to make one understand very quickly what a particular symbol means (and astrology is a language of ...more
Andrei Stinga
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: astrology
One of the best books concerning the core aspect of astrology - birthchart analysis and interpretation. The author introduces a modern take on astrological thought by discarding medieval principles and pravtices and adding a powerful evolutionary philosophy. The birthchart is no longer a portrait of an individual but a map of potentialities from which the individual is free to choose from...
Enlightening read. It has rekindled my interest for the Art.
Rochelle
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Steven Forrest's writing. He's clear and concise and speaks to both the average reader and to the philosopher. It's not difficult to understand and yet you have to think about it. This book was helpful because I am learning to interpret a birth chart and he gives essential tips in being able to do that. This is my first experience with evolutionary astrology and it just might be the book I keep going back to again and again.
Debbiezb
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having now read probably a dozen astrology primers over the last year and a half, this is the one that has finally brought chart-reading to life for me. Forrest talks about all the signs and symbols and the whole chart itself in terms of evolutionary drive--a interpretive style similar to that of Stephen Arroyo, who characterizes himself as a humanistic astrologer. Unlike Arroyo, however, Forrest gives vivid illustrations of what both successful and counterproductive expressions these drives loo ...more
Cristina Smith
This is one of the best books on the basics of astrology ever. Steven is a master of language. He is a consummate storyteller of the signs, planets and houses. He puts together this story in a way that we can see ourselves in relation to these symbols. He encourages us to engage in our personal journeys and take advantage of the wonderful art and science of astrology as both a path to deeper self knowledge and a life planning tool.

I have recommended and given away this book more times than I ca
Jillian
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: astrology, favorites
At first I was disappointed with this book and put it away after reading the first few chapters. Nothing new, I thought. I'd signed up for an astrology apprenticeship and had already read dozens of astrology books, but this was required reading. I'm so glad it was! Although the first few chapters are a fundamental overview on planets and houses, even an experienced astrologer could benefit from Forrest's final chapters on chart interpretation. This book really gave me practical tools I could use ...more
MizzSandie
I need to own this.
I need to be able to go back and read all this wonderful, insightful wisdom over and over again. I need the keys this book is offering, ready at hand, to unlock the doors to the mysteries to my own and other peoples journeys and inner workings.

Steven writing is inspiring and fascinating and I just want more, more, more. He is a great guide to the mystery of astrology, explaining, showing and gently challenging and encouraging.
I will get my hands on a copy of this book and I w
Joyce
Dec 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Steven Forrest presents a logical format in diciphering the birth chart. Then as one becomes familiar with that model, he encourages you to lift off and read the birth chart from an intuitive place. Well done.
kit
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magick-and-myth
The first astrology book anyone should read. Evolution-minded, realistic, and parsed beautifully.
Lauren Kayes
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: witchy
On the one hand, this is the most comprehensive and easy to understand beginner's astrology book I've read to date. Instead of the "give a man a fish" formula a lot of books employ by listing out different planet/sign combinations ("if you have Mercury in Gemini you're quick-witted and chatty," etc) Forrest teaches you how to fish--with the what/why/how of each planet/sign/house, you learn to piece it all together rather than relying on slap-dash pop astrology blurbs.

On the other hand, I could n
Bookewyfe
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A friend of mine (who I think of as a life/soul coach) who is a wonderful astrologer recommended this book to me when I asked her, where can I learn a basic understanding of what you do (Evolutionary Astrology). If you're going to pick up a book and try to understand the complex language that is astrology, this is the book. It breaks it down, step by step, to where you can understand it (or at least halfway understand it), in simple language. I have never thought that astrology made any sense an ...more
Callie Ebben
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely fantastic resource for anyone looking to grasp the knots and bolts of astrology. Astrology is a vast field of study, and I'm impressed by how Steven Forrest manages to break all the main elements down, and explain them in layman terms.

I found myself giggling a lot while making my way through this book. Steven certainly adds a nice dose of humour and informality to the topic. I also appreciate his candor, and the way he challenges his reader to dive into the vast alluring l
Fr.
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my second time through the Inner Sky. I think it's one of the best introductory Astrology books, especially if you come to Astrology with an Evolutionary lens rather than a classical or predictive one. Particularly because I agree with him that Astrology is a language and the best way to become adept at reading charts and understanding it is to learn this language. My main criticism is that sometimes Forrest makes dramatic points at the expense of the content (his writing style veers tow ...more
Bea
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: astrology
This book is absolutely invaluable. It is the book I always recommend when people ask for a good intro text. It is the only intro book I know that truly respects free will and explores the different ways people respond to the signs.

My only caveat is that this book is best treated as a reference. If you're just starting out, get a copy of your birth chart and use his sections on the planets, houses, and signs to put together a picture of your inner sky. Then follow your interest through the rest
zeknir
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
just get it, you wont be disappointed. full of great information, one you can keep referencing back to, and yet steven forrest’s voice throughout it makes it so much more than just a reference book. i learned a ton, i’m very much a beginner, but i know i’ll keep referencing back to it for years to come. seems like the type of book that you could learn something new every time you go back to it, no matter what sort of level you’re on. great insights and tidbits.
Kelly Miess
Jul 09, 2018 added it
Shelves: unfinished
Unfinished for now. Good explanation about the link between astronomy and astrology, one of the best I've seen. Got through the basics and liked it very much but not so much after that. I'm not sure evolutionary astrology is my thing.
Darity Wesley
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a phenomenal book on astrology for a neophyte!!! So easy to understand. So easily read! Stephen is very articulate and I loved this book. I learned so much! If you are interested in astrology. This is the book for you!
Leslie
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first astrology book that made me feel like I could make my own assumptions without relying on 'cookbook interpretations'.
Susan
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my go-to astrology book
Claire
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OBSESSED. I want to read everyone’s chart.
Greg Tilden
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on astrology I've read thus far. Simple, elegant, and very creative in his use of metaphor and poetry. Simple to grasp and good for intermediate or beginner level astrologers, and students of life in general. Though I've studied astrology for 6 years, this book enhanced the foundation which I view astrology upon, adding depth of language to make this simple wisdom accessible and relatable, rather than esoteric and muddied.
Heather
Dec 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I'm always referring to this book. If you want to learn the language of astrology, this is the book. None of those broad based statements about one particular placement meaning one thing, like all people born with their sun in a particular sign having particular traits always.......life does not exist in a vacuum and neither do the planets and astrology.
Aswini
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Fed my growing interest in astrology with incredible writing and a very clear and easy to understand method of how to read astrology charts. I was able to analyze my own after reading this.
Natalie
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect. I've read tons of "beginner astrology" books, and The Inner Sky is by far the most interesting, comprehensive, and thought-provoking. By the end of it, you will be able to interpret charts fairly competently, and understand yourself a little better too.
Kirtida Gautam
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chakra-5
This is the first book I have read about Evolutionary Astrology. And it gave me a novel way to think about the zodiac signs. Highly recommend the book to anyone who is interested in reading about the Zodiac and how the archetypes shape our personality. A brilliant read!
Holly
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: astrology
I liked this book so much for the purpose of learning more about astrology that I wrote about it on my blog. You can see the page by going to this link:
Khurshid Timothy
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great beginners' Astrology book
Maisie
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I can't even remember reading this
Brian Sullivan
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read that argues the astrology chart is the questions we are to ask and not the so much the psychic destiny.

• Chart Interpretation Handbook: Guidelines for Understanding the Essentials of the Birth Chart
  • Planets in Transit: Life Cycles for Living
  • Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil
  • The Twelve Houses: Introduction to the Houses in Astrological Interpretation
  • Don't Think Like a Human! Channeled Answers to Basic Questions (Kryon, #2)
  • Soulmate: A Novel of Eternal Love
  • Making the Gods Work for You: The Astrological Language of the Psyche
  • Predictive Astrology: The Eagle and the Lark
  • Asteroid Goddesses: The Mythology, Psychology, and Astrology of the Re-Emerging Feminine
  • The Only Way to Learn Astrology, Volume 1: Basic Principles
  • Pluto, Volume I: The Evolutionary Journey of the Soul (Llewellyn Modern Astrology Library)
  • Chiron and the Healing Journey: An Astrological and Psychological Perspective
  • Path of Empowerment: Pleiadian Wisdom for a World in Chaos
  • Reality Transurfing Steps I-V
“The more nearly a man knows himself for what he is, the nearer he approaches wisdom. The more his imagination about himself diverges from what he actually is, the madder he becomes. –Rodney Collin” 1 likes
“They are also born to listen. But that does not come as automatically. Quick wit, even eloquence, is far more available to the Twins than attentiveness. In the context of a hard, direct birth chart, they may interrupt and finish other people’s sentences for them. In a softer, more interpersonally sensitive chart, the pattern may be less obvious. We find them quiet, appearing to be fascinated by our ideas. But their minds have raced ahead. Despite the eye contact and nodding head, they are oblivious to what we are saying. In reality they have already decided what we are going to say. They are now absorbed in studying our nose, thinking of how much it reminds them of a nose they once knew in high school.” 0 likes