Start by marking “The Breadwinner Trilogy (The Breadwinner, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Breadwinner Trilogy (The Breadwinner, #1-3)

The Breadwinner Trilogy (The Breadwinner #1-3)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  1,536 Ratings  ·  203 Reviews
"All girls [should read] The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis." — Malala Yousafzai, New York Times

The three books in Deborah Ellis's Breadwinner trilogy bound into one handsome volume

Deborah Ellis's novels The Breadwinner, Parvana's Journey and Mud City have been a phenomenal success, touching the hearts of readers the world over.

Here are the three books bound into one handsom
Published August 1st 2009 by Groundwood Books (first published February 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Breadwinner Trilogy, please sign up.
LaurenB The genera of this book is children's literature.
LaurenB
brootess264
(I did not write this I copy and pasted it of the internet)
I got it from Brooke's Blog

Chapter 7 Summary:

Parvana starts reading letters and…more

brootess264
(I did not write this I copy and pasted it of the internet)
I got it from Brooke's Blog

Chapter 7 Summary:

Parvana starts reading letters and selling items that the family could spare, just like her Father. One day a Taliban came to her and she read a letter that was addressed to his late wife. She is stunned by this, because she only knows Taliban Soldiers as people who beat women and enslave innocents, so this scene symbolizes that she and the Taliban are the same, they just have different beliefs.

Parvana is also forced to sell her special red Shamwar Kameez. If I was forced to sell something that was important to me, I would not be very happy. I would probably freak out and try to track down the item that I lost.

Chapter 8 Summary:

Mrs.Weera decides to move in with Parvana and her family so that she and Parvana’s mother can start a magazine. She helps to the house around for the better, keeping Mother happy and the children upbeat because they now go outside with Parvana when she fetches water.

One day Nooria comes out with Parvana to fetch water, and she says that she has forgotten how good the sun felt on her face. If I was forced to stay inside, what I would miss most about the outdoors would be those days when it’s warm, but not like summer. The days when there’s a cool breeze and it’s sunny outside. It’s unhealthy to be inside for so long because it creates a lack of vitamin D, which we get from the sun. The lack of vitamin D can lead to health issues.

Towards the end of the chapter, Parvana looks up at the sky and says that she wishes for her father to come back. The next day, small things start appearing on her blanket at the market from a window. Parvana looks up and catches a glimpse of a woman. I think tha woman was throwing things down to Parvana because she over heard her wish for her Father to come back, and wanted to give her hope and support.
(less)

Sepideh Salarvand
روزها پایان نامه مینوشتم در مورد کودکان کارگر افغانستانی و شبها اینو میخوندم. روزها درگیر داد و فریاد که بچهها رو رد مرز نکنین و شبها پروانه و آصف و حسن و لیلا تو بیابونها دنبال یه قطره آب بودن و همهش خاک خاک خاک... کتاب ناراحتیه و من تا تونستم خودم رو اذیت کردم با خوندنش تو این زمان. گرچه به نظرم برای سفیدپوستا نوشته شده و یه چیزاییش گاهی خیلی اذیت میکنه اما خوندنش خالی از فایده نیست و آدم ته کتاب چند تا دوست کوچولوی افغانستانی داره.
من کتاب اول و سوم رو خیلی دوست نداشتم اما دومی که دردناکتر هم
Perri
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this for a challenge of a book to be a movie in 2017. These are a trilogy, and I read all three because I wasn't sure how many would be portrayed in the movie. The first, The breadwinner, is the best of the trilogy. we learn some about the Afghanistan culture and the practice of disguising girls as boys to help the families survive, I've read about this before in The Underground Girls of Kabul: In Search of a Hidden Resistance in Afghanistan The rest of the stories reminded me McCarthy's ...more
4everGracieK
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I greatly enjoyed the raw honesty and storytelling in this story that I read for summer reading. Most people who have reviewed this book seem to enjoy this story, and I agree with what they say in their reviews. I like reading about how people in other parts of the world handle their situations. It gives me a doorway to travel into this world, especially since I can't afford to travel there myself.
The descriptions Ms. Ellis give make visualization easy. The author didn't simply state or explai
Randi Bennett
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Randi Bennett, Response #9 (Summary and review only for the first book)

Parvana, or Kaseem as she becomes when her father becomes arrested by the Taliban, has to take charge of her family at 11 years old. War torn and fear stricken Afghanistan is occupied by the Taliban, and life for Parvana and her family is anything but normal. Her mother, sisters, Nooria and Maryam, and youngest brother Ali must learn how to survive once the Taliban invade their home. Deborah Ellis does a fantastic job at capt
Edona Ibrahimi
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Those flowers won't grow in that soil," someone said. "There are no nutrients in it."
"Even if they grow, they will be trampled."
"The marketplace is no spot for flowers. Why are you planting them there?"
Through the voices of derision came another voice. "Do none of you appreciate nature? This boy has undertaken to bring a bit of beauty into our gray marketplace, and do you thank him? Do you help him?" An old man pushed his way to the front of the little gathering. With difficulty, he knelt down
Tara Chevrestt
Jul 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, library, afghanistan
Book one was great. It offered a realistic look at life for women under the Taliban and had very likeable characters. Book two warranted a 2 star. Characters were introduced that I couldn't stand. Book three lost my interest completely. It was a girl and a dog traveling Pakistan eating trash and throwing food at people.

Overall rating: three.
Allison Glovier
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Annika
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mary
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
According to UNICEF, the average street child in Kabul (children who sell things on the street) earns 2 dollars a day. This is likely the only means of support for their families. The Breadwinner Trilogy is a stunning testament to these children, who struggle and risk their lives every day in order to support their family. It must have taken an incredible amount of time for the writer to find these children in Kabul and compile all their stories into a book. In my opinion the book was simplistic ...more
Hannah  Abbott
Amanda
Ashton Fitzpatrick
LaurenB
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I flew through this book! I absolutely couldn't put this book down. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have to life of these characters. Constantly moving from place to place not have a sufficient and stable home and/or food source. Everyone was in danger all the time 24/7. This book made me appreciate my home more then I could have ever imagined.
Kris
The hardest thing about this series for me is how unfinished it felt. However, I don’t see how it could be any other way, as the conflicts in Afghanistan are unresolved, and likely to be so for the foreseeable future. My heart breaks for all the real people these characters are based on.
Dylan Manfredi
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Ashley
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Donna LaValley
Aug 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Reviewed separately, Book 1, The Breadwinner is 4 stars

This book is an instructive eye-opener which I recommend and also use as a World Lit choice for students at high school level. Like others written for Young Adults -such as Escape from Warsaw (Europe), Year of Impossile Goodbyes (Korea), The Clay Marble (Cambodia), and especially Iqbal (Pakistan), Daughter of Venice-- someone can read a book about the lives of children facing serious life struggles and finally finding their way. Such books a
Adrian
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Liling
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Breadwinner was written by Deborah Ellis, and was first published in 2000. Deborah Ellis had been to Afghan refugee camps and heard many stories like Parvana's, so The Breadwinner is an original book about refugees living in Afghanistan. It is a historical fiction and a children’s novel book, so this book is readable and lucid. The Breadwinner is talks about an 11 year old girl called Parvana, who was forced to be the breadwinner for her family in the war in Afghanistan. It’s really difficul ...more
Joshua
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Masao Koda
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
1. Groundwood Books House of Anansi Press, no level
2. 11/9=30min, 11/10=60min, 11/11=60min
3. Afghan, Taliban, ruling, father, arrested, hardship, pretending
4.(a)Now I've got her, Parvana thought. I can make her as miserable as she makes me. But she was surprised to find that this thought gave her no pleasure. Maybe she was too tired and too hungry. Instead of turning her back, she took the money from her sister's hand.
(b)Parvana, the main character in this story, didn't obey at first the reques
Sadie Vargas
This book is AMAZING!!!! it is one of my most favorite books that i have read yet to this day. This book is about an Afghan girl who lives in the ruins of Kabul. I t is a city in Afghanistan. All the girls their are not allowed outside or in stores. They can not be seen by the soldiers. If they are outside they have to wear barquas whichg are things that cowver most of their face except their eyes. Parvana the main charachter helps her dad walk around becaouse he lost his leg when in a classroo ...more
Jjen
Apr 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are a must-read for anyone of any age. They are compelling, true to life and incredibly moving. At the end of the last one I was in fits of tears. Unlike most books, your favourite character is never completely safe from dying, which is why it was so true to real life. But they also made me angry at the terrible world we live in. There is so much we take for granted in the Western World, we don't realise that people (who are just like us, as this book proves) are suffering and dying. ...more
Nancy
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
This is a great trilogy especially for tweens and younger teens. I could've used a bit more depth but it gives the reader an idea of the horrible, Catch-22 situation for girls and women in Afghanistan during the Taliban regime. Forbidden to leave their homes unless accompanied by a man, how can women who have no men in their family shop for food or even make money to pay for that food. Reading these books filled me with righteous anger at the way women are treated in that part of the world.
Lisa Smith
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-kid-books
Although I put the Breadwinner Trilogy on my shelf for kids, It is an incredible read for any age. The Breadwinner Trilogy makes you realize that there are so many others in this World that are much less fortunate then ourselves. The book takes place in Afghanistan. The book takes you into the life of children in war torn Afghanistan. I'd give the trilogy another star if I could.
Lisa
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. Gives a person an account of what it is like growing up in a war torn country. I am going to get my 12 year old to read this.
Itzel Velázquez
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
I found the books kind of slow-paced and the last book completely ruined it for me. I wanted to hear Parvana's story- not Shauzia.
Najmah CB6
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
" It's easy to call someone else scared when your'e safe inside your home all the time "
Sheryl Sato
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A vivid look at the world or children in war-torn Afghanistan, this book describes both the horrors and the unyielding human spirit of hope.
Jacob
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ENG 580 Spring 2014: Choice Book #8 - The Breadwinner (#1) 1 2 May 05, 2014 09:11PM
ENG 580 Spring 2014: Choice #6 The Breadwinner 1 2 Apr 08, 2014 11:18AM
Choice Book #4: The Breadwinner 1 2 Mar 18, 2014 10:02AM
  • My Name Is Truth: The Life of Sojourner Truth
  • Peace
  • Bayard Rustin: The Invisible Activist
  • Courage & Defiance: Stories of Spies, Saboteurs, and Survivors in World War II Denmark
  • The Safest Lie
  • Double Exposure
  • Odin's Promise (Odin's Promise, #1)
  • Africa Is My Home: A Child of the Amistad
  • My Two Blankets
  • A Diamond in the Desert
  • Stonewall: Breaking Out in the Fight for Gay Rights
  • Mama's Nightingale: A Story of Immigration and Separation
Deborah Ellis has achieved international acclaim with her courageous and dramatic books that give Western readers a glimpse into the plight of children in developing countries.

She has won the Governor General's Award, Sweden's Peter Pan Prize, the Ruth Schwartz Award, the University of California's Middle East Book Award, the Jane Addams Children's Book Award and the Vicky Metcalf Award.

A long-t
More about Deborah Ellis

The Breadwinner (4 books)
  • The Breadwinner (The Breadwinner, #1)
  • Parvana's Journey (The Breadwinner, #2)
  • Mud City (The Breadwinner, #3)
  • My Name Is Parvana (The Breadwinner, #4)

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows