Start by marking “When Breaks the Dawn (Canadian West #3)” as Want to Read:
When Breaks the Dawn (Canadian West #3)

When Breaks the Dawn (Canadian West #3)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  5,028 Ratings  ·  134 Reviews
Published February 1st 2005 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about When Breaks the Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Breaks the Dawn

Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“After surviving a harsh first year in the far north, Elizabeth Delaney and her Royal Canadian Mountie husband, Wynn, are settling into the small community of Beaver Creek. Elizabeth is once more teaching school, and they seem to be gradually making a place for themselves among the Indians. And then the news arrives...”

Series: Book #3 of the “Canadian West” series. (Book #1 review Here! and Book #2 review Here!) {There is a movie based on the first book of this series with the sa
Kellyn Roth
Originally posted on Reveries Reviews.

The third book in the Canadian West series did not disappoint! True, it was a little draggy at points, but I still enjoy Elizabeth and Wynn and all the people at Beaver Creek. I think I’m just about done with this series; I’ll probably read the next book and then stop.

SPOILERS! I guess I’m just disappointed that Elizabeth and Wynn didn’t have a child … and in all likelihood won’t, from what I can tell. END OF SPOILERS!

~Kellyn Roth
Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it

When Breaks the Dawn is the third novel in Janette Oke's Canadian West series. I found that this book was much improved over the second in the series and just as good as the first.

This installment starts out exactly where the second book left it, at the trader's and his wife's return to the settlement with much needed supplies. Unlike the other books however, this one covers several years instead of just one year.

Elizabeth has largely adjusted to living life in the frigid North and with her frie
Hilary
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Now settled in the remote village with her Mountie husband, Elizabeth's life is still full of changes. Her friends need help, she wants to start a school, and she desperately wants to start a family. The emotional turmoil and pain some of these cause may hit close to home for some, but the author doesn't dwell on sadness for too long - and Elizabeth's faith in God always brings hope.
Alexis Villery
Apr 02, 2011 rated it liked it
I used to read Janette Oke a lot when I was younger so I decided to pick up this book in a moment of nostalgia. In a nutshell, this book is about the trial and tribulations of Elizabeth and Wynn while they endure the hardships of the rugged west.

You don't have to have read the first two books in the series but it might be helpful. Some characters are mentioned in passing that will be unfamiliar if you haven't read the previous two books but it doesn't affect the present storyline much. Some boo
Karen
Mar 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
I liked the first book, but the next two were too God in my face, and there was absolutely no romance mentioned! I mean really, I'm no prude, but even God wants people to have kids. At least talk about it a bit. It's such a white elephant in the room how it is so ignored until so late in this series.
Leslie
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a really slow read...the 215 pages covered about 4 years. Little bit here, little bit there. Elizabeth was kind of annoying and whiny and it was just kind of a depressing read. I'll read the rest of the series to see how it ends. Tell me it gets better!
Natalie
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
I liked the first one but the second book in this series fell flat for me because there was no real courtship between the two main characters - it just sort of happened.

The third book basically details Elizabeth's longing for a child. Now granted I know that this series is set in an earlier time period, but I would still like to see some female empowerment. She mopes a LOT, saying things like "God had blessed so many women with babies, but not me" or "I needed a child to make my life complete" o
Annalisa
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Carolyn Pina
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was Book 3 of a series of 4. I won't be reading Book 4. In this book, the Bible verses increased, as the story, itself, became boring.
Nadine Keels
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The city had changed much since then, but I had changed more. The young, stylish schoolteacher from the East no longer existed. In her place was an older, wiser and, I hoped, more sensitive woman.

Elizabeth and her Canadian Mountie husband, Wynn, are nearing their first wedding anniversary. They've been making a life for themselves at Beaver River, a village in the far Northwest, but they'll face a devastating disappointment in When Breaks the Dawn by author Janette Oke.

This novel felt like class
Karen
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this third installment of the Canadian West series. Elizabeth & Wynn are people with a deep faith in God, living in a remote area of Canada in the late 1800's, among an Indian settlement of people who don't know God yet. Even though the main characters are the educated, Christian "white people", they face all the same struggles and more as their beloved neighbors. I love that the author illustrates how one can learn from people who live differently than you, love people who believe ...more
Mary
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time in the North

This is a story of a persons love for her husband,her God and her life. When she began to love others she realized how great a life she has. It
She shared her love of her God with other members of the village that she lived which in turn helped her to be a better person.
Krista
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Unless you have read the previous 2 books this one may be hard to follow. It is about life with the Canadian Indians that live very primitively. The main character is married to a Mountie and what problems he sometimes faces. Some sadness with losses in book.
Marie
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
simplistic, yet heart moving.
Helen Bassett
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Nice story
Andrea
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5
Victoria
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first two.
Jessica
I enjoyed this third book of the Canadian West series. I will say that the content and writing is built for an older audience. Not that there was anything inappropriate within the pages. From the little I've read, Oke seems to write clean books. But it struck me while reading that many of the struggles Elizabeth and Wynn face are marital and adult life related. For instance, the desire that the couple shares of having a child or the daily, difficult grind of living in the wilderness.

This book se
Becky
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
When Breaks the Dawn continues right where When Comes The Spring leaves off. In When Comes The Spring, the community is desperate but resourceful after a horrible fire destroys the village's supply store. Without these resources to see them through, the whole community is at risk. Alone these families and individuals have little chance, but, working together, well, they might just survive: not that it will be easy, but still, there's hope. When Breaks the Dawn begins with the arrival of the supp ...more
Meredith
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, romance, faith
I loved these as a teen.
Gale
Nov 28, 2014 rated it liked it
“The Birth of a Frontier Wife”

In this 3rd book of the Schoolteacher Meets Mountie quartet
Elizabeth and Wynn are firmly established in the little Indian village in the Canadian northwest. Kip, their silver-furred husky, comes into his own. With the return of Spring the long-awaited supply train arrives so the villagers do not starve and the men can rebuild the burned-out trading post. Nimmie, Elizabeth’s dear Indian girlfriend, urges her to take up her dream to establish a school for the Native
Matie
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful sequel to "When Comes the Spring". Elizabeth is a strong lady and I admire the way she has persevered through the hard things. I also think Wynn is a very supportive husband and is willing to help Elizabeth throughout her times of loneliness.
Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)
And again this book takes off where the last one ended – perfect since I dove right into it (I didn’t do the same with the fourth book, so hopefully I can still get into that one!). I felt like this book struggled from being in the middle of a series. It dealt more with the personal struggles of Wynn and Elizabeth and not too much else.

Elizabeth has finally started to feel at home, she’s started teaching again, she’s made some friends, but the idea of family is what’s starting to bug her, especi
Digging deeper into the Northern Canadian Mounties' wife experience, Janette Oke expands on the When Calls the Heart series (a.k.a The Canadian West series), exploring day to day life as our young couple settles in their new home, becoming accustomed to the rural hardships and realities. This story returns to Elizabeth's teaching roots, and addresses infertility in one of the most honest and unabashed portrayals I've seen in fiction. Here there is no sugarcoating the heartache, worry, and deep g ...more
Christina
Part three of the Canadian West series gives us a deeper look at Elizabeth's new life in the North. By now she has established friendships, attempted to start a school for the settlement children, and has generally settled in.

As with the first two books, the emotion is very honest and raw, especially when Elizabeth begins longing for a child.

Unlike the others in the series, this books spans over several years. There were still detailed accounts of the important events in the settlement and Eli
Victoria Wright
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Allan67
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
This is another book that I have just finished reading to the wife. It is a continuation of the second book and takes up when the people of the settlement meet the supply wagon train in the Spring. I think that without reading the first two books of this series, we would have missed much. Much of the book focuses on Elizabeth and Wynn's inability to have children, their taking in what would now be called foster children and the emotions of giving up the children that have become a part of their ...more
Faye Lee
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In book number three, Elizabeth faces many problems. The author continues to develop conflicts for her character everyday. Elizabeth goes through heartbreaks which she had never expected to happen. At the end, she decides to trust in God and let Him be in control of her path. Even though this was book three, Janette Oke still made it the most interesting book in this series. Everyday there was something new for Elizabeth, a celebration, an adventure, or just another day that God had created for ...more
Malia
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad that I live in a time when there are infertility treatments and adoption is common. Having gone through years of infertility and loss, I was really able to identify with Elizabeth.

I really appreciated that the Delaney's were not "magically" able to conceive just because they stopped worrying about it. Yes, it's fiction, but it's much more realistic and easier to identify with this way. So much fiction about infertility ends that way... it's not at all realistic. Yes, at times, God
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Dec 17, 2014 04:06PM
  • A Gathering of Memories (A Place Called Home, #4)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • Ashes and Ice (Yukon Quest, #2)
  • The Reapers Song (Red River of the North, #4)
  • The Dixie Widow: 1862 (The House of Winslow)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Canadian West (6 books)
  • When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, #1)
  • When Comes the Spring (Canadian West #2)
  • When Hope Springs New (Canadian West #4)
  • Beyond the Gathering Storm (Canadian West #5)
  • When Tomorrow Comes (Canadian West #6)
“Mankind cannot suffer anywhere without it bringing sorrow to other hearts” 0 likes
“Who knows what exciting things might be just over the next hill.” 0 likes