Start by marking “When The Leaf Blew In” as Want to Read:
When The Leaf Blew In

When The Leaf Blew In

A wonderfully zany story about what happens on a farm when a leaf blows into the barn!

When the leaf blows into the barn,
The cow sneezes "Ah choo!"

And when the cow sneezes "Ah choo!"
The spider falls on top of the owl.

With simple, repetitive text and silly, expressive illustrations, children will fall for this hilarious autumn story about the way one leaf turns an entire bar
Published August 1st 2009 by Cartwheel Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about When The Leaf Blew In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When The Leaf Blew In

Kelley
This book is great for any "fall" units. It really shows the fall landscapes and different animals around a farm. I used this book for a story basket, because it has so many different characters that are affected by one another. It would be a great book to act out or have the children use puppets to tell the story themselves. It has short sentences and no complex words, so it would be great for early readers.
Luisa Knight
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh, this one is too fun! This is an appealing crowd pleaser for sure!

Ages: 2 - 6

#fall #autumn

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Taylor Brune
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
This would be a cute story to use with kindergarteners when talking about different animals and the noises different animals make. It would also be a good book to use when modeling expressive language.
Emily Warner
Jun 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a very simple story that all starts when a cow sneezes. Once he sneezes and a spider lands on an owl, there is a series of events that happens on the farm. This book would be great for predicting or working on sequencing strategies.
Brenda
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary
great silly chain reaction book
Brenna Call
Apr 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I loved the bright and clear illustrations in this book. I also thought the circular chicken or the egg type story was interesting. I think kids will like it.
Elizabeth
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a perfect cause and effect book. The leaf blew in, so the cow sneezed. And so forth. Until we get to the end of the book where we find out the cause for the leaf blowing in. Then it is circular because it can be reread. Fun illustrations and plausible situations.
Christine Grant
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Fall Leaf Story Time. A leaf blew in a started a chain of events on the farm. I wanted to like this more, but the lack of story made it fall flat for me.
Toni
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super cute
Megan Cureton
This whole story started when a leaf blew in the barn right infront of a cow. This leaf made the cow sneeze, and then the leaf flew on and this started the chain reaction. The leaf ended up making its way to a frog, and when the frog sneezed, it moved onto a dragonfly, and the dragonfly made the dog chase the squirrel, and when the squirrel ran up the tree, it caused a bird to fly into the tree and the leaf back into the barn, which started the whole thing over again. I would read this story for ...more
Diressa Belcher
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
When the leaf blew in silly things began to happen! The animals began to make funny noises and the animals began to run away from their homes. Eventually all the farm animals make their way back to each other. They were in amazement after the leaf finally returns to the tree.

As a literary tool students could write a beginning and ending. The story does not tell where the leaf blew in from. The story does not in a good place for me personally. I would like for students to sue their imagination an
Becky B
A circular barnyard tale about the series of events set off by a simple leaf blowing in the barn...and eventually goes back to a leaf being knocked out of a tree blowing into the barn.

For kids who love If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and have exhausted those tales, this is another nice little chain reaction story. Also a good one for kids to practice naming their animals. The illustrations are vibrant and eye-catching. Could be used in Preschool or Kindergarten lessons about barnyard animals, autum
Emily
Jun 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a really funny and enjoyable book. It shows the a chain of events that happen because of one leaf that blew into the barn. I think that is book ties in with my theme, because it shows the kids that they need to laugh in life. Sometimes when things happen, instead of getting upset just laugh about it.

This book is great for teaching cause and effect, details, and sequencing. I also think that it would be great for creating mental images.
Katie Plumley
* Great sequencing book because each line is repeated to give a hint for the next line.

* Audience give and take: This book can be used for a music and movement segment where students can act out the movements that the words imply.

* The use of onomatopoeia moves this book along.

* K-2 appropriate

Jack
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: k-g-4
This is out of print as of 24, January 2016. Mine is a Scholastic version. A K-2nd grade reader that humorously depicts the chain of events When The Leaf Blew In to the barn and animals involved. The book illustrations remind me of the Charlotte's Web movie.
Christy Whitaker
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The leaf blows in and sets a domino effect on a chain of events to occur. The repetitive lines (...The owl swooped out of the barn! When the owl swooped out of the barn...) help in retelling the story and sequence. Cause-and-effect is also a great lesson to introduce while reading this story- the leaf blows in and causes the cow to sneeze, which causes the spider to fly, etc.
Erin K
Mar 28, 2016 added it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a cause and effect book for younger kids. It features lots of repetition. It could be used for making predictions from one page to the next, and can be incorporated into a cause and effect writing unit.
Casandria
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it
A leaf blown in the barn starts a series of events.
Fall, farm animals
Aug 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Very cute cumulative story... good for a fall storytime.
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Silly and full of of fun repetition.
Maggie KutsBorg
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: down-on-the-farm
I feel tired just imagining reading this at storytime and going through all those motions and actions and sounds. But I bet it would be fun!
Lena Barnes
Nov 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a cute book for fall. It follows the sequence of events that occured once a leaf blew into a barn. This is great for the students to sequence and retell the events.
Lori
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
A circular story. A cause and effect story. Pictures are wonderful. Great for preschool-1st grade.
Taylor Jarrell
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beginning-books
1. Setting: on a farm
2. Author:Steve metzger
3. This book is very cute. It tells how things are cause and effect and when one thing happens it starts a chain reaction to other things.
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When the leaf blew in.... many things happen on the farm! This is a great book to use for cause and effect and sequencing.
Amanda
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute farm animal/autumn story! I love it & children do too! They get the biggest kick out of pretend sneezing! The illustrations are simply adorable as well.
Jenn
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cute and fun (and funny)!
Michaela
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fall, seasons
Great when talking about the season of fall. Also perfect for showing life of animals on a farm. Cute dialog and pictures that children will love!
Amanda
Dec 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
Very cute and perfect for fall storytimes. It goes through lots of animals on a farm and what happened as a result of the leaf blowing in.
Karen
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, must-read
This is my FAVORITE children's book and I LOVE reading this to children!

• Let It Fall
  • Cock-A-Doodle-Hooooooo!
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • All You Need for a Snowman
  • Zomo the Rabbit: A Trickster Tale from West Africa
  • Never, Ever Shout in a Zoo
  • Fall Is Not Easy
  • Earl the Squirrel
I grew up in Queens, NY in the 1950s with my “baby” sister, Lois. She is now a wonderful writer of young adult novels and nonfiction. My mother was born in Vienna, Austria, and my father came from Brooklyn – an interesting match! My best friends were Neil, Robbie, Krebs, and Paul. I’m still good friends with most of these guys. It was less hectic in those days – no computers, no emails, fewer TV c ...more