Start by marking “The Canadian West Saga (Canadian West #1-4)” as Want to Read:
The Canadian West Saga (Canadian West #1-4)

The Canadian West Saga (Canadian West #1-4)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  1,210 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
This saga of life and love follows Elizabeth, a lovely young teacher from the east, who braves the Canadian frontier to teach in a one- room schoolhouse where she meets Wynn, A Royal Candian Mountie, who becomes her husband and partner.
Published February 1st 2001 by Bristol Park Books (first published June 15th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Canadian West Saga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Canadian West Saga

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Christian Historical Romance.
Janette Oke has done extensive research to make sure that her stories are historically accurate in the traditions of the times as well as locations and living conditions. She's a great author whose easy to read stories teach lessons, give hope and show the struggles and joys of the early pioneer men and women. While these stories are definitely Christian based, I never find them to be blatantly "preachy." I love that Oke's characters don't just talk the walk, they walk the walk and share their f ...more
Pamela
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am reading this series for the 3rd time in a year. I can't get enough of Elizabeth and Wynn. I love the writing style of the author and the Christian romance and life that the characters live out. Very inspiring to me. I have read the reviews and the first few pages of Book #5 in the series, and am greatly disappointed to learn that the story does not pick up where Book #4 left of and that there is an approximate 20year gap in the stories, and that Elizabeth and Wynn are not the primary charac ...more
Jenna
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This unassuming and becoming book about an adventure west for a young Canadian women in 1910 & the journey she experiences, the shared trials through faith and prayer were inspirational & heart warmer.
Some may think this a corny couple of books, perhaps I even thought it might be corny, but it has truly been a joy. I smiled at her mishaps and trivial trials in the first book.
The first & second books has me rejoicing in her fetes & independence. The third & fourth books had
Ebookwormy1
I read these books first as a young woman and have re-read them repeatedly. A heartwarming story set in western canada, the characters encounter joy and trial. Wholesome. Good. Encouraging.
Karen
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, I need to read a nice sweet simple book. These books were that....
Jenifer Carll-Tong
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I absolutely love Jeanette Oke. I began reading her work when I was about 11 and couldn't get enough. I always say that Wynn Delaney was my first literary crush. I love this series, but the first one is definitely the best. The last three are good reads, but there is very little romance in them. As much as I enjoyed following Elizabeth's character change and grow over the series, I would have loved to have seen their romance grow and change over the series instead of just comfortably falling int ...more
Grace
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: janette-oke
A wonderful series of the pioneer days when life was simple and people were grateful, loving and caring for one another. Though they endured hardships they kept their faith.

"When Calls the Heart" Elizabeth, a single refined school teacher from the east coast travels to the west to teach. She is faced with many trials and hardships but finds joy in working with the children. She also finds love with a Royal Canadian Mountie something that she never expected or wanted to happen.

"When Comes the Spr
Lynette
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
OK, these books are really sappy – but I mostly enjoyed them…! There are four books bound into one volume – I stole it from my dad – sounded like it might be good, then I read that it was “inspirational fiction” (barf) – but I decided to read it anyway. I was startled when the action in the first book moved to a town in Alberta called “Lacombe” – because that is where my father was born – and where his family lived for several years, only a tiny bit of time after the “circa” of this book! And, a ...more
Sharon
May 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a warm hearted story of Elizabeth, a young woman who is sent into a rural area of Canada to teach in a one-room school house. Her courage and faith are admirable as she faces the challenges of adapting from city life to country living. In this setting she meets Wynn, a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The remaining books in the series tell the story of their lives in the wilderness area of North West Canada where Wynn is assigned. Elizabeth comes to love the native people of ...more
Devony
May 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read these quite a few years ago, but really loved the characters. I was particularly touched by the main character Elizabeth and her inability to have children. My cousin was struggling with the same thing and later I did too, and I found reading the character's struggle made me more empathetic to others and better equipped to face my own.
Not too religious, Oke paints a compelling picture of the rough Canadian west.
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I first read this saga when I was probably about 12 or 13. It was definitely worth the re-read. It is amazing how different life is today. I'm so grateful for bug repellent, heat, indoor plumbing, and air conditioning!!! Again another great story by Jannette Oke with great lessons and marriage relationships.
Josiah
Plot: D
Writing: D
Vocabulary: C
Level: Easy
Rating: PG
Worldview:

The writing in this series focuses solely on tableaux and underdeveloped internal monologue from the heroine, who is obsessed with etiquette and reputation. I do not recommend this book, even to girls, especially because of the unhealthy relational dynamics depicted.
Rita
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was a good book. once I started the series I had to check some of them out from my local library.Some I found at a local bookstore. once I started reading the books I could not put them down. This writer soon became one of my favorites.
Hope
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have read all three of these books and reading the fourth book. I gave this book 4 stars because these books are perfect if you liked the Laura Ingalls books. I defiantly would recommended these books to anyone old and young.
Mary Chambers
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is my top favorite Christian Historical Fiction Series. I really enjoy reading about young women going to be teachers in the frontier. Then years after I read this series, I lived in the Edmonton area in Alberta, where part of the series took place.
Julie
Feb 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Same as the 'Love Comes Softly' Series: This series by Janette Oak are some that I read as a teenager, and I couldn't put them down - fantastic reads for young girls. Great stories about family and adversity and love, strong female characters, and positive values and morals.
Jenny
May 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
These books are wonderful - I've read them several times. A woman goes to the Canadian wilderness in the early 1900's, if I remember right. She marries a Mountie, and these books detail their lives in the wilderness. Love them!
Anna
Jun 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book if you like romance. The beginning of the first book seems boring (When calls the heart) but when you get near the end it gets good. This is a story about a schoolteacher coming from the East and moving into the west to teach. Then she falls in love......
Rachel
Jun 06, 2008 rated it liked it
1st book was great...2nd was good, 3rd was dragging and same for the 4th. I typically like to read these "fluff" type books in between what ever I am reading, but I only finished the series to say I did.
Sally
Mar 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
How rough life was on the frontiers. Of all the Janette Oke books I've read, these were most inspiring I think because of the starkness of the Canadian wilderness, the faith of the characters, the multicultural themes...
Jencey/
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
I liked it okay. I have read the series twice.
Lisa Allen
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite series of Ms. Oke's!
Christen
Feb 02, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a little harder for me to get into. But it has a good ending.
Brittney Young
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Holy cow! I had so much fun reading this old time series!
Maritza
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved all off the books in this saga......I wish there was a book 7!
Kate
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this series just as much the love comes softly series. She made the famlaies real and made you feel as if you knew them. I love her books.
Steph Ross
Dec 11, 2009 rated it liked it
The series of books follows the life of a Canadian Mountie and his wife through the hardships and joys of life.
Callie
Nov 22, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a series I got into when I was in Junior High. I really liked the love story back then. Now...well, let's just say that I've moved on. Still, it was enjoyable while it lasted.
Bj Knauff
Aug 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: completed
This was a very good series. You really need to read the whole series in order.
Caralee
Nov 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is my absolute favorite series by this author.
  • The Fields of Glory (Wakefield Dynasty #4)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • A Texas Sky (Yellow Rose, #2)
  • A Dream to Follow (Return to Red River, #1)
  • Dunkirk Crescendo (Zion Covenant, #9)
  • Secret Place of Thunder/In the Twilight, In the Evening/Island of the Innocent/Driven with the Wind (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #5-8)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
  • The Stonewycke Trilogy (Stonewycke, #1-3)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Canadian West (6 books)
  • When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, #1)
  • When Comes the Spring (Canadian West #2)
  • When Breaks the Dawn (Canadian West #3)
  • When Hope Springs New (Canadian West #4)
  • Beyond the Gathering Storm (Canadian West #5)
  • When Tomorrow Comes (Canadian West #6)