Start by marking “Surf War!: A Folktale from the Marshall Islands” as Want to Read:
Surf War!: A Folktale from the Marshall Islands

Surf War!: A Folktale from the Marshall Islands

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
A Folktale from the Marshall Islands. Surfs up! Sandpiper finds her daily stroll on the beach interrupted by Whale, who boasts that he is ruler of the sea. Sandpiper responds with equal bravado, asserting her rights to the sand and seawater. Soon the rivals are calling in their cousins, and the beach and sea are filled with shorebirds and sea mammals of every stripe. The s ...more
Published July 16th 2009 by August House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Surf War!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surf War!

DelAnne Frazee
Tags: Conflict, Friendships
Overall Rating: 5.0 Excellent
Reviewed For: NightGalley
Reviewer: DelAnne

What is worth going to war over? Land? Food? Opinions? All three could be right, but under what conditions? One day a small sandpiper was out eating small minnows from the ocean w
Tina ( As Told By Tina )
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy in exchange for an honest opinion. This does not influence my opinion in any shape or form.

This book was so good! I loved the message that was being presented. The whales and Sandpipers engage in a little war trying to see who had more family, the Whales or the Sandpipers. This turns into the whales trying to destroy the land and Sandpipers trying to drink all the ocean water so that the whales would have no where to live. At the end they both realized that they were destroying
Jeffrey
A Whale and a Sandpiper go to the brink of war over control of the sea and an Island, with the whales and their sea friends eating the island, and the birdfolk slurping the sea, until wiser heads prevail.

Good fun tale.

Mayra
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home, picture-books
cold potentially be a good storytime
Jeanie  Cullip
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated picture book assists in telling the story of Surf War! by Margaret Read MacDonald (I would love to have her middle name!). The story is simple, the whales and the sandpipers that inhabit the land are trying to decide if there are more whales than birds or more sandpipers than whales of the sea. This causes them to gather all of the whales and the whales cousins together; as well as all sandpipers and sandpipers cousins together. Because of the vastness of all the whales i ...more
Melissa
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ok so I know you are not supposed to judge a book by its cover but when I saw this on *Netgalley I fell in love with the cover and knew I wanted to read it. I mean come on how cute does that whale look?

Surf Wars is the story of a sandpiper and whale. The two boast back and forth to each other about who is better and whom there are more of. Soon every whale and seabird cousin shows up. In their fight the other creatures who live there start to struggle to survive. Can sandpiper and whale make up
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Surf War is based on a folktale from the Marshall Islands. The whale and sandpiper argue about whether there are more whales or sandpipers. They call all their sisters, brothers, and cousins to come. When they still cannot decide who has more, the whales decide they will eat up the island so the birds can't stay and the birds decide to drink up the water for the same reason. When the birds realize they are causing their food supply of small sea creatures to die they put the water back and the wh ...more
Kim
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This folktale was a cute read about a sandpiper and a whale going to war after an argument. The whale decides that the ocean should be his and Sandpiper should leave. Then they argue over who has more of their own kind. Then they begin to destroy the ocean and beach to spite the other. Once the destruction is done, they realize they are actually only hurting themselves and try to fix what they've done and coexist in harmony.

Thi
Mak
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Surf War is based on a folktale from the Marshall Islands. The book goes exactly as the title suggests. There is a surf war between the Whales of the ocean and the Sandpipers of the island. The whale and sandpiper argue about whether there are more of each animal. So, both call to their like species and neither can tell which has more. The whales decide they will eat up the island so the birds can't stay and the birds decide to drink up the water for the same reason. When the birds realize they ...more
Lady
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Importance Of Coexistence And Conservation

This book is based on a folk tale from the Marshal Islands that explains why the birds and the sea creatures do not go to war and instead live in harmony. It teaches about the importance team work and tolerance for others. It stresses that living in harmony with your fellow creatures and your environment is very important for everyone's continued existence. Conservation is a main theme as well as the stupidity and pointlessness of war and fighting es
A Reader's Heaven
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it

A sandpiper and a whale dispute who rules the shoreline - a dispute that escalates to the point that the whole island and bay disappears. However, they acknowledge the devastating effects this will have on their lives and agree to live and let live...

This is a lovely little book, beautifully illustrated by Geraldo Valério. It teaches young readers about sharing, the consequences of our actions, and ecology.

It
Anna (BooksandBookends)
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review by the book's publishers via NetGalley.

Whale and Sandpiper are having an argument. Which are there more of, whales or sandpipers? They call in all of their friends to help them decide but quickly realised that there's plenty of room in the sea for everyone. A fun heartwarming story filled with gorgeous illustrations with lots of added humour too! This would make a good bedtime story with a lovely moral of friendship and agreement ra
Stephanie
Shelves: children-s
Surf War! is a folktale from the Marshall Islands. I love folktales since they always include a good lesson. This story has lessons about sharing and ecology.

I read this to a group of younger children aged 3-5. The bright, bold pictures were an instant hit. As Sandpiper and Whale began to argue about who the sea belonged to, many of the children were able to draw parallels from their own lives. I liked that the story not only focused on sharing, but included environmental implications.

This boo
Cheryl
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Macdonald does it again. So much fun to read aloud, even if only to myself. And, sure, there's a moral, but it does nothing to detract from the enjoyment. I like Valerio's illustrations - cartoony, but still identifiable, for example the spread that shows the flamingo and roseate spoonbill side-by-side, to point out how they are both similar and different. Good but brief 'author's' note; I do wish there were an illustrator's note.

I will continue to read more by the author, and investigate more b
Kelly Tannhauser
This is a heartfelt story about a whale and a Sandpiper bird that have a dispute over their territory in the ocean that almost starts a war. When things get out of hand they recognize the potential consequences and decide to reconcile with each other. This book has vibrant illustrations with a simple story line and easy to understand. It gives an important message about sharing and how your actions can affect others. This would be a great book to read to your students and discuss to get across g ...more
Lindsey Lewis
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley for reviewing porpoises purposes.

A whale and a sandpiper learn the consequences of their actions when they refuse to share the beach. The illustrations are charming, colorful, and hand-painted. The lines have fun onomatopoeia that the children can replicate and contain some repetition. The story contains some good lessons that will hopefully prompt younger kids to think about how their actions affect others and the world.
Renee
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014, arc, kids
I read this to my 3 and 5 year old children. They loved the fun colourful illustrations.

The story is about a whale and a sandpiper (bird) who are fighting over who is the best. With all their fighting they begin to destroy their homes. They quickly realise that what they are doing is bad, repair the damage, then work together to take care of their shared habitat.

I recieved a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Surf War! was a cute little book with pretty artwork, and the moral to the story was nice.

However, something about the prose seemed off. At points it 'felt' like it wanted to go into a natural rhythm /rhyme, and then it would veer awkwardly away. Therefore, it wasn't as comfortable a read as it could have been.

It was a bit young for my 6 year old, but she liked the various sounds (slurp, patooie) we could make while reading, so it entertained her nonetheless.
Jayna
May 09, 2015 rated it liked it
This folktale is about getting along for the benefit of everyone.

Sandpiper and whale are arguing about whether there are more whales or sandpipers. It gets out of hand and they begin to sabotage each other. They then realize that they will hurt themselves in the process, and begin fixing their mistake.

The illustrations are absolutely beautiful.

I received a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.
Amanda
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great action, good onamonapias (I love to make noises in storytime) and bright and bold illustrations that at times can be crowded. The story also has a great structure with repetitive phrases and cumulative elements. Would be tons of fun in storytime and could do a lot of stretcher activities with it.
IncuriousKat
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
A folktale from the Marshal islands. Depicting a fight between a sandpiper and a whale (over who owned the sea). The war ends after the two sides realize that they are codependent on one another and agree to live in harmony. The Surf War tells a great lesson along with beautiful illustrations that look as if they were done by oil pastels. I received this for review from Net alley.
Katlynn Parsons
I received this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

We loved the pictures! The story was cute and he loved the repetition.

The story was simple, yet serves as a powerful reminder that war is often (read: 99% of the time) caused by two (or more) sides fighting for control of something that isn't theirs.

Angel
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice story that shows what can happen when you lose sight of what is really important. Nice large colorful pictures. I think this is a good book to have on any childs bookcase. Reviewed through NetGalley and August House.
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
The sandpipers and whales have a war about who the sea belongs to. In their war they begin to destroy both the beach and the ocean until they realize that there is plenty to share and that the war was silly. A good lesson for all of us !
Nikki
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
kids were confused since they thought the title meant actually surfing wars, aka surfers.
Leah
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great illustrations. Good moral teachings good ecological teachings.
Chinook
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
This would be a great story to read while learning about the Marshall Islands. I liked the illustrations and it's got a nice message.
Andréa
Note: I received a digital galley through NetGalley.
Brian
How can you not enjoy a tale that that let's you prompt a group of kids to "patooie" or "glurk." The lessons of environmental care as well as getting along with your neighbor are nice too.
Alice
Jul 21, 2011 added it
We love this book.

Biography
Dr. Margaret Read MacDonald travels the world telling stories....always on the lookout for more great folktales to share. She shapes these found stories into tellable tales which anyone can share with ease. Filling her folktale collections with these delightful tales, she creates perfect read alouds for you and your family. MRM wants everyone to experience the joy of a beautifully