Start by marking “Art of Colonial Latin America (Phaidon Art and Ideas)” as Want to Read:
Art of Colonial Latin America (Phaidon Art and Ideas)

Art of Colonial Latin America (Phaidon Art and Ideas)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
A lively account of the interaction between European and indigenous artist that took place during more than 300 years of Spanish and Portuguese colonial influence in Latin America (c. 1492-1820). The book offers a fascinating insight into viceregal, missionary and civic architecture, as well as painting, sculpture and such 'minor arts' as furniture, textiles and ceramics. ...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Phaidon Press

To ask other readers questions about Art of Colonial Latin America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art of Colonial Latin America

Mike
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Simply great: like all in this fine series by Phaidon, it covers the aesthetic and social history of a specific arts movement, time period, or in this case a broad geographical area. Superb illustrations, high-quality printing, and expert text on this complicated wide-spanning, era of visual arts. I am very thankful they decided to do a volume on this important but oft-neglected period and geographical region.
Lamadia
Nov 13, 2009 rated it liked it
A little more history than art history, but since I knew nothing about Latin American Colonial history, it was filled with tons of new info. It's extremely readable, like the other book in the series that I've read. My primary interest isn't Latin America, so I gave it only 3 stars based on my own personal interest with the subject matter rather than the actual quality of the book.
Monica
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Informative, although I felt like Brazilian art did not get as much treatment as other Spanish American colonies. FYI: This book is focuses a little more on history than individual works of art.
Michael
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fine overview. Interesting in that it takes a thematic rather than a chronological approach.
Jack Ferris
Apr 06, 2011 is currently reading it
Kimberly
Mar 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in art history.
Phaidon's line of art history books are perhaps the most readable to non-art historians out there. A fine collection. I own several in this series.
Luis