Start by marking “Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)” as Want to Read:
Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)

Black Magic Sanction

(The Hollows #8)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  41,875 ratings  ·  1,244 reviews
Rachel Morgan has fought and hunted vampires, werewolves, banshees, demons, and other supernatural dangers as both witch and bounty hunter—and lived to tell the tale. But she's never faced off against her own kind . . . until now.

Denounced and shunned for dealing with demons and black magic, her best hope is life imprisonment—at worst, a forced lobotomy and genetic slavery
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 487 pages
Published February 23rd 2010 by Eos

To ask other readers questions about Black Magic Sanction, please sign up.
Michelle Lang I am currently reading the series, and would recommend reading it in order. Rachel's character development / story arc would be spoiled if you started…moreI am currently reading the series, and would recommend reading it in order. Rachel's character development / story arc would be spoiled if you started this one.(less)

·  41,875 ratings  ·  1,244 reviews

Laz
If I'm being honest then this did not live up to my expectations. I expected something more than some random action. While this, like its predecessors, was highly entertaining it lacked the thrill the others gave me. By the time I had finished the book I was feeling as if the plot had become extremely thin on the last few pages. The ending was nowhere near satisfying..

Now, as for the characters, in this one my disappointment in Rachel skyrocketed.. I hate how she can't control her sexual attract
David
Aug 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
That was annoying

You know the relationship you are in is in trouble when you start to be annoyed by your partner... a lot. They probably aren't doing anything different than they were doing a month ago, but one morning you wake up and think to yourself, "Man, the way she baby-talks to the dog is annoying" or "Oh my God, if he clips his toenails in the living room one more time I'm going to scream." I'm not saying your relationship is doomed, but you are now past being blinded by how great you fe
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

So check this out.

Rachel and Ivy are minding their own business, doing a bit of grocery shopping, when this blonde chick in a frumpy suit starts making eyes at Rachel.

Or so she thinks.

And Rachel’s a little bit embarrassed, a little bit flattered, but not even a little bit interested . . . so that’s AWK-ward.

Except Frumpy isn’t checking Rachel out! Frumpy is a member of the coven of moral and ethical standards, and she’s trying to take Rachel into custody.

Pfft. Li
Jacqie
Dec 09, 2009 rated it did not like it
I think I'm done with Kim Harrison now. Her last book didn't really float my boat, and this one was more of the same. Rachel feels misunderstood, tired, hungry, cranky, angry, and roughed up, due to yet another horrible bad thing that makes her worry about her friends, feel that she's not ready for a relationship, and take everything on by herself so no one she cares about gets hurt.
In the first 150 pages she's attacked three times by the same baddie, summoned and sent to prison and escapes, dri
Lightreads
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
So there I was, innocently going about my day while listening to this book, and it’s all demon plot shenanigans and hilariously unintentionally awful pixie funeral poetry, and then bam, we get a casual aside about how female witches have extra vaginal muscles compared to human women, and there I am sitting on the curb in the middle of the block, laughing helplessly with my guide dog hovering over me doing “now what?” in Labrador (it’s all in the ears).

Extra vaginal muscles! The better the orgasm
VampireNovelFan
I enjoyed this book much more than the previous installment, however I think I would have been happier had Harrison stretched plot out over two books instead of dragging it out in book 7 (which I can hardly remember anything important happening) and then cramming a million and one things into this book. On one hand it is fast paced which I like, but on another it's a big mess.

I am with the lot that does NOT like Pierce. I had Gary Stu vibes at the beginning which raised flags but it only got wor
Smash
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
5 *absolutely amazing* stars!

I loved this one. Rachel finally is accepting what she is and what she can do. She's not getting anymore sh*t from anyone. YOU go girl! Give them hell!

And I love, LOVE Pierce, but I have a feeling that he's not gonna stick around and it will be not by his choice... :(

Anyway, the book was a masterpiece!
Sheralyn
Dec 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pg-13, recommended
Thank heavens for ARCs. After WWBC I was totally manic to read this one. I won't drop spoilers, although I can thank Kim Harrison for not leaving me drowning for book #9. I can actually take a deep, calming breath and mentally accept the year wait until the next book... even though it will still be an impatient 12 months. LOVE this series!

I've always been a spoiler fan and speculator, though, so I have to say I hope the next book is the story that finishes what the short story "Unbound" started,
Marissa
Duchess Nicole
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Duchess Nicole by: Urban Fantasy lovers...light on romance
Well, I've been waiting for one of the Hollows books to bring a conclusion to the myriad stories being told. All of these secondary charaters...Nick, Trent, Peirce, Ivy, Jenks (and Madalena), the witch council, etc....there are so many people involved with what seems to be a conspiracy to bring down Rachel Morgan!! And for me, Jenks is still the only one on that list that I trust. I KNOW Ivy's a friend, by she's so volatile, and I still see her as being selfish and wishy washy.

I do like Pierce.
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

I was eager to start this novel after finishing the previous one. I must say that we are easily taken away by the story and now that the series is over, I’m happy to buy the volumes the one after the other and thus to continue the adventures of Rachel Morgan.

Our heroine is going to have plenty to do in this novel! Oh yes, because it does not stop! Rachel has to manage her shunning but now the convent wants more! Between those who want to kill her, to loc
Rhiannon Frater
Feb 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book a lot. I thoroughly enjoyed the plot. I appreciated Rachel's character development. I was glad to see some major questions answered (Jenk's life span, Matalinda's illness, etc). I even enjoyed the return of Rachel's no good ex, Nick. I think the writing was crisper, smarter, and really awesome this go around. Kim seems to be only getting better as an author and I really enjoy her work.

I liked nearly everything about this book plotwise, except for Pierce.
I don't understa
Steven
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This one was CRAZY GOOD. But I cried like a baby at the big scene. You know which one I'm talking about. That was worse than the end of book five!!!
Deea (Andreea)
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, uf
*Re-read July 2015

**First read 2010

Phew, I feel like I just read three books, not one! Probably the most complex book in the series so far, and one of the best. Super action packed, emotional, character driven, suspenseful, emotional, funny when necessary, a major part in the overall story arc.

Sooo much happened, it was almost overwhelming. The coven; Matalina (*sobs* whyyy?); Al (my favorite part - there wasn't one scene where he was involved and trouble and laughing out loud situations didn't
Mark
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable, but the ending seemed a bit too easy and poor.
T.S.
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The danger one faces with reading a series is that, after a time, they can get monotonous. If you’re a true fan, you know the details, eccentricities and jokes intimately and after several books, if poorly executed, they become tiresome. However, when said series is in the hands of a master, then that “old hat” expectation never happens. For me, this is true of Kim Harrison’s Hollows series. After nine books, (the tenth, A Perfect Blood released this month), the series has yet to grow stale. Per ...more
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
A common complaint with series in general is that the books start to go off course, become redundant, or just plain stupid as more books are released. The Hollows is the opposite. I honestly believe that the second half is even better than the first, and the world and characters just get more interesting with each new release.

I officially dislike the witch counsel. We hadn’t seen them before, only heard of them, but egads, what a despicable group. What they planned to do to Rachel sickens me. T
Darcy
Another good adventure in the Hallows. Rachel is settling into her new life as a shunned witch and spending her time in the ever after with Al learning. She is at odds with herself as her blood won't kindle witch magic, but does do demon magic, so what is she... a witch or a demon? Plus she has started to enjoy her studies and what she is learning.

Rachel has a lot to deal with in the council coming after her and the punishment is something straight out of the early 1900's and very extreme. As th
Natasha
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book from one hell of a writer!
Kim Harrison out did herself once again. Black Magic Sanction is the 8th installment in the amazing Hollower series. I've been a fan from book one and was hooked from page one.
Each book just keeps getting better, and after Rachel's hard trials I'm glad to see her getting past her devastation.. Kisten will be deeply missed and I bet I'm not alone in saying that.
Rachel's still not out of the hot water. Rachel wouldn't be Rachel if she wasn't in some
Melindeeloo
Yay! Harrison has brought her Hollow's series back on track and its filled to the brim with the good stuff that made the earlier books so great.

Rachel, always a magnet for trouble is in deep kimshee here. The Coven for Ethics and Morality (the witch ruling body) wants to imprison, neuter and lobotomize Rachel all without a fair trial because Rachel represents the dirty little secret about the true origins of witches and she is also the key to the demon's return to the Earthly plane.

Black Magic
Gemma
Oct 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Whoah what a book!

Harrison has certainly upped her game in this latest installment.

Gone is the angst over whether Rachel should make a go of things with Ivy. Instead most of this book is about Rachel trying to dodge the Coven from putting her in Alcatraz, lobotmising her magically and removing her ability to bare children. It certainly ups the stakes in this very dramatic game of cat and mouse and at times I wasn't sure where the chips would fall.

Put together with Trent trying to "Own" Rachel af
Hobart
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, really
Shelves: 2010-reads
Rachel, Rachel, Rachel...I just don't know what to do with you...

I'd actually dropped this series once, but a coworker convinced me to give it another try. A few books later, and I'm second-guessing myself. I spent most of this book wishing I was reading something else. And honestly, the problem is Rachel herself.

For someone who navel-gazes as much as she does, she's pretty stupid about herself. She talks about learning from her mistakes, but she doesn't. First and foremost of these is her inabi
Angela  M
Jun 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The 8th book in the Rachel Morgan series. From page one the action explodes off the page. Rachel is driving when summoned. She shows up in California to find that she's been summoned like a demon into a circle. Even more surprising, it's the Coven she's surrounded by.

Rachel is on the run from the Coven throughout this whole book. Trying to get her shunning removed is now the least of her problems. She's facing being thrown in Alcatraz, being labotimized, and having her future children either ta
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
This book was pretty much fantabulous the whole way through. There was a good chunk about 3/4 of the way through it that got a bit slow, but it picked up at the end, and even though it seemed to end on a cliff-hanger, I won't down-vote it for that because it was soooo much better than the previous book. I love Al. There was a lot more explaining of what Rachel is and world-building. Nick is such a creep. I'd like to see more Trent, more Ceri, and I love all the parts with the demons. Wish Rachel ...more
Pia
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites so far, I believe, but also very emotional for me.
(view spoiler)
SheLuvsGod
(re-reading series) Nick, Nick, Nick - he must die! I'm with Jinks - give him to Al please Rachel.

So sad - I cried :( poor Jinks.

The grocery store fight with the coven - hehehe I liked it way too many (strawberries).

I like how Rachel and Al's relationship is growing (teacher - student) not love interest. I can't believe I'm going to say this but I really like Al now. Trent is ok too, I guess.
Susana
Insane characters...all of them!
This is the most chaotic series I've ever read: everything happens to Rachel and to her friends.
Her life, most of times, is a living hell. Everyone wants to frame or kill her.
Luckily she has some loyal friends, and her heart is always on the right place.

Vampires, Weres a...: Black Magic Sanction 65 19 Apr 27, 2018 10:33AM
Urban Fantasy ser...: October SRA: BLACK MAGIC SANCTION by Kim Harrison 3 12 Nov 09, 2016 07:34AM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Pierce and his hidey-hole 21 173 Jan 21, 2015 05:13PM
Hollows Read-Alon...: The Hunt at the end.... 8 53 Jan 15, 2015 06:10AM
Fans of The Hollo...: Black Magic Sanction - Question - No spoilers please 3 30 Jun 23, 2014 07:05PM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Matalina 25 187 Apr 09, 2014 08:08PM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Trying to rescue Brooke/making ley line 14 133 Feb 17, 2014 01:01PM

• City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7)
  • Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5)
  • Dawnbreaker (Dark Days, #3)
  • Cheat the Grave (Signs of the Zodiac, #5)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • The Darkest Edge of Dawn (Charlie Madigan, #2)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
  • Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld, #11)
  • Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3)
Kim Harrison is best known as the author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, but she has written more than urban fantasy and has published over two-dozen books spanning the gamut from young adult, thriller, several anthologies, and has scripted two original graphic novels. She has also published traditional fantasy under the name Dawn Cook. Kim is currently working on a new Hollo ...more

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Ever After (The Hollows, #11)
“I'm only going to be here for a time, then leave you." His gaze met mine. "And I will cry when I go, because I could love you forever.” 173 likes
“You try getting through the Hollows traffic with a stoned redhead hanging out the window shouting, 'I'm king of the world!' ~Lee” 157 likes