Start by marking “White” as Want to Read:
White

White

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  394 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
White is not a book about colors. It is rather Kenya Haras attempt to explore the essence of White, which he sees as being closely related to the origin of Japanese aesthetics – symbolising simplicity and subtlety. The central concepts discussed by Kenya Hara in this publication are emptiness and the absolute void. Kenya Hara also sees his work as a designer as a form of c ...more
Published November 25th 2009 by Lars Muller Publishers (first published May 30th 2008)

Marjan
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, japan
Very much like Tanizaki's In Praise of Shadows this book is also a meditation that has to be read with respect and calmness. Then each reader is invited to meditate upon the abstraction of White, not just once, but over and over again. This truly is a slow book. Like a cup of Japanese tea it is more about the journey than the destination. In other words, it is not a book to be read but a book to be experienced.
Margaryta
"White" is one of those books I plan to revisit and reread over time, much like Junichiro Tanizaki's "In Praise of Shadows". Hara's words should be taken with a grain of salt - he isn't exactly writing as an academic, nor is his book entirely a personal essay that is focused on self-reflection. It is a combination of the two, and it is certainly no surprise that he privileged Japanese culture in telling his narrative. Depending on the reader, this will either be a negative or a positive, and I p ...more
Aaron Terrazas
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How refreshing it is to read something so far beyond one's normal domain of familiarity and walk away light with a new perspective.
Ben
Jan 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that a book about emptiness lacks content.
René Toet
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
In 'White' the chapters on color, information, paper and typograhy are interesting and induce new perceptions/reflections on those topics. However, the chapter on emptiness is writtten from a (purely) Japanese perspective, in which a cultural divide is clearly present -- between Japanese and (northwestern) European thought and communication systems. The chasm is too wide (for me) to bridge.
Chris Beiser
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
More word-poem than treatise. The best endorsement I can give is that the whole time I was reading, my mind was full of bursts of the most beautiful, vivid colors.
Stephen
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
White. Wait, what??
GoS
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
"As we achieve this rapport with white, out world glows more brightly, and its shadows deepen."

Works as advertised.
Nedislav
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very profound, yet concise and clear explanation of the concept behind what white is. Not only as a colour, but as an entity in itself. I would recommend it to everybody who wants to get more philosophical knowledge behind design and spirituality.
Haneen Krimly
Jan 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, reviewed
HaneenReads: Full Summary and Review

Kenya Hara’s White is a wonderful view of Japanese culture and design history through the perspectives of white and emptiness. He discusses white as an entire design element, rather than as a color.

That said, the ideas somehow felt completely unrelated to one another, as you’re reading, you get the feeling of jumping from concept to another without fully understanding anything.

There is also a lot of repetition of ideas throughout the book, for example the conc
Joanne Tai
Wow. It's deceptively profound. I have no idea how to even approach writing a review, I don't think I fully grasp what was being said. Maybe because I grew up in an Asian society and am a bit more familiar with Japanese culture, these concepts feel very familiar to me, but I never thought of them that way.

My impression is it's a theory attempting to deconstruct how white seems to speak to and be interpreted or used by people, the unspoken thinking or psychology behind what we choose to use white
Jiri
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
This was quite a meditative read, full of relatively abstract concepts and ideas. It gave me a little bit of exposure to one of the slices of Japanese aesthetic, Some of the examples that the author used to illustrate the concepts described in the book were fairly strong, namely concepts of empty spaces in traditional Japanese temples. It's a great book to slow down with at the end of really hectic day, and can be read in a few evenings (I wouldn't try reading this in one go, although the book i ...more
Ninakix
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A short book at 75 pages, but it sticks with you. What strikes me most is the imagery: it paints a picture of the value of white and emptiness. I really couldn't get over the image of these Shinto shrines, empty, just trying to be inviting for a passing God by leaving a space for them. This is one of those books I cannot wait to reread.
Neil
Jul 05, 2012 added it
We have bothe the Muji book and the Haptic book, I saw that White costs £35 (350 SEK) online - bit I found it in the Göteborg University library, so I've just borrowed it.

I was surprised it was a pocket sized book, even though hardback - unusual. Looking forward to reading it.
Donny Truong
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-design
Overwhelmed with the use of colors he encountered on the streets, graphic designer Kenya Hara turned to white as the most basic and necessary element in his work. This is a short yet fascinating read on the perception of White, emptiness and their essential role in graphic design.
Julie
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A completely recommend it. A must read to understand and appreciate the world in it's infinite simplicity or complexity. Simply beautifull. I have wait all my time to learn that kind of knowledge in color and design class.
Blake Greene
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
The principles of White are astounding, I just wish I enjoyed the passive, shy voice you find in a lot of Japanese to English translations.
Romina
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this is not a book to be simply read but a book to be experienced.
Raigo Lilleberg
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like mr. Hara's thinking over emptiness and white space. Empty is not as empty as one usually thinks. Short, quick read!
Vivien
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design, business
Poetic and elegant. A whole new perspective when looking and sensing the colour WHITE
Alexandru Darie
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read in my entire life. So much information, carefully structured and written. Indeed, the print is irreversible.
David Bai
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
great little meditation on white and emptiness
Yoonho Choi
Jul 19, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not so impressed. His ideas are often over-spiritual, and sometimes biased as a Japanese.
Vivienne La
Geoffrey Brown
Mar 09, 2016
Alfred Steiner
May 14, 2017
  • CAD Monkeys, Dinosaur Babies, and T-Shaped People: Inside the World of Design Thinking and How It Can Spark Creativity and Innovati on
  • Muji
  • Wabi-Sabi: For Artists, Designers, Poets & Philosophers
  • Thoughts on Design
  • Less and More: The Design Ethos of Dieter Rams
  • Design Writing Research
  • The Golden Theme: How to Make Your Writing Appeal to the Highest Common Denominator
  • As Little Design as Possible
  • Design for the Real World: Human Ecology and Social Change
  • Dogra Magra
  • Wabi Sabi: The Japanese Art of Impermanence
  • Hipersemiotika: Tafsir Cultural Studies Atas Matinya Makna
Kenya Hara (born 1958) is a Japanese graphic designer and curator. He is a graduate of Musashino Art University.

Hara has been the art director of Muji since 2001 and designed the opening and closing ceremony programs of the Nagano Winter Olympic Games 1998. He published Designing Design, in which he elaborates on the importance of “emptiness” in both the visual and philosophical traditions of Japa
“White can be attained by blending all the colors of the spectrum together, or through the substraction of ink and all other pigments. In short, it is "all colors" and "no color" at the same time.” 3 likes
“Because nonbeing longs for being, on occasion it creates a stronger sense of being than being itself.” 3 likes