Start by marking “Ella Bella Ballerina and Cinderella” as Want to Read:
Ella Bella Ballerina and Cinderella

Ella Bella Ballerina and Cinderella

(Ella Bella Ballerina)

Ella Bella loves her ballet class, which is conducted by the kindly Madame Rosa at an old theatre that seems touched by magic. One day, when Ella loses one of her slippers, Madame Rosa lends her another pair for dancing--and is then reminded of Cinderella and her story of the lost slipper. Madame Rosa recounts the tale to her students, and Ella Bella listens with heightene ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Barron's Educational Series

To ask other readers questions about Ella Bella Ballerina and Cinderella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ella Bella Ballerina and Cinderella

Kathryn
Somehow, the Ella Bella Ballerina books (see also Ella Bella Ballerina and the Sleeping Beauty) are nice and cute and a tribute to imagination and dace, but not quite all I am hoping for. I love the illustrations, but somehow the text just feels a little flat. I think what frustrates me, as a ballet dancer and teacher, is that there is very little about ballet dancing in these stories. Ella Bella is a ballet dancer, she goes to ballet class (in a way cool old theater which, um, most little balle ...more
Abigail
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Ballet Lovers / Fans of the Ella Bella Ballerina Books
Ella Bella, the eponymous little ballerina in author/illustrator James Mayhew's picture-book series devoted to her adventures, is swept off into the fairy-tale world of Cinderella in this story. Listening to the music from Prokofiev's ballet, she suddenly finds herself encountering Cinderella's fairy godmother, as well as the Fairies of the Four Seasons, and getting involved in Cinderella's visit to the Prince's ball...

As with the other titles in this series that I have read, Ella Bella Ballerin
Donna Mork
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A retelling of Cinderella where Ella Bella the Balerina helps Cinderella get to the ball, then helps the prince find her after she leaves at Midnight.
Lynda
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
"I like that the book is so pretty and that they help Cinderella." - V, age 3
Nicola
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, ballet
Miss 4 and I are slowly working our way through this series of books. She loves them! It's a nice integration of story and ballet. I love reading the added information at the back about the history of each ballet!

Miss 4 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.
Katie C
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great classic story , with a ballet twist.
Charlotte
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ballerinas
Recommended to Charlotte by: Mummy
I loved it.
Samantha
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I know, this isn't my typical genre to review, but I read A LOT of children's books. I don't really mind though...at least I'm reading! And I felt I owed this book a review, after all, it's become a treasured story in my house.

One of the latest trends in fiction (especially Young Adult fiction) is to take the fairy tales we grew up reading and reinvent them. Examples of this include Sisters Red & Sweetly by Jackson Pearce, Beastly by Alex Flinn, and the various movies/tv shows filling the sc
Britley Madsen
Mayhew, James. Ella Bella Ballerina and Cinderella. USA: Barron's Educational Series Inc., 2009. Print. Traditional tales. This story is about a little girl named Ella Bella who goes to a ballet class. She forgets one of her shoes, so her teacher allows her to borrow one. This reminds her teacher of the story of Cinderella. Ella Bella listens to the music and imagines that she helps Cinderella. This story tells the story of Cinderella but allows a girl to be involved in the story. There are many ...more
Kathleen Dixon
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: music, children-s
Zenobia is 4 and she loves all things "princess', so of course she was going to love this book. I've had to read it to her quite a few times. Myself, I'm not a great fan of girly things, but I invested plenty of good reading-aloud tactics. After all, an actor doesn't have to like the character she's playing. And if I really dislike a book I refuse to read it to them (which happens very rarely).

And what do I think of this book? Well - nice illustrations, great concept (going into the story in you
The Library Lady
Feb 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
See my review on its companion Ella Bella Ballerina and the Sleeping Beauty.
I think I've realized the problem here. Mayhew is a gifted writer and it's fine for him to make books based on great paintings. No need to have an understanding of HOW Leonardo painted the Mona Lisa or how Van Gogh made his sunflowers.
But to write about dancing, you have to know something about it, have some feel for it. And Mayhew doesn't seem to know zip about ballet, in terms of DANCING!
Jul 16, 2011 rated it liked it
This would probably delight young children who are big fans of ballerinas and fairy tales, but I wasn't overtly impressed. It was colorfully pink and girlish, which some children might love. The pictures were pretty nice, but I wasn't enthralled or anything like that. I probably wouldn't recommend because I was a little bored when reading it.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2011...
Rakisha
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ella Bella Ballerina and Cinderella is a quaint picture book about a young ballet student who goes from learning the dance for the ballet Cinderella to actually being sucked into Cinerella's reality. The little one helps the fairy godmothers and Cinderella get her happily ever after. The water color and ink illustrations complement the type, and make it a wonderful story to read aloud at bedtime with your budding ballerinas or ballerinos.
Polly
Nov 12, 2011 rated it liked it
As picture books for the ballet, princess and pink obsessed young lady, these are quite good. In the greater world of picture books, they're less good, but still a lot better than much of the junk out there!
Karen Dransfield
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A lovely whimsical story about a young ballet student discovering the Cinderella story as it was written for the famous orchestral music and famous ballet. It also has a section in the back looking at the artists who created both.
Faith Hough
I love James Mayhew's illustrations and his clear love for both visual and performing arts that comes out in his books. My girls love the frilly tutus. So it's a win all around. :) (Thanks, Liz, for alerting me to its existence!)
Jen
Jan 25, 2010 added it
Shelves: children-s-books
A unique cinderella retelling with a very likeable modern-day protagonist who is naturally strong without being rude or contrived. Love the art!
Mckinley
Nice look at this ballet.
Peter Dixon
Oct 05, 2014 rated it liked it
My daughter chose it, ok?
Marissa Elera
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would have eaten this book up for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if these had been around when I was a child. Pure, unadulterated pink, but does not veer into being vapid. Truly lovely.
Annie
Dec 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I know my students will love his book.
Bookslut
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kiddos
This book was strategically designed to please little girls. Ballerinas, fairies, and Cinderella. Delightful illustrations.
Sara
Jun 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
stumbled across this at work
Maya
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
AR 3.6
GR Level O
Betsy
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
My daughter LOVES these books about Ella Bella. I find them trite in text, but lovely in illustrations. I do like that the classical ballet story is interwoven....
Elizabeth
Sep 20, 2013 rated it liked it
My two year old loves this book. I think it's okay, but not my favorite, and not really the book I want to read night after night.
Stephanie
Nov 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Pretty little variant of Cinderella. Cute little illustrations.
Jaime
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Adorable little girl book that my little Ella-Bella just loves.
Aubrey
Aug 20, 2013
Margaret
May 31, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
James Mayhew's first book for children was Katie's Pictures Show, (Orchard Books 1989) establishing the long running series about a child's adventures in an art gallery. Many of his books have a cultural agenda and James is passionate about introducing children to art, music, opera, ballet and traditional tales.

He has published over 60 books, and illustrated and written for many other colleagues i

Ella Bella Ballerina (6 books)
  • Ella Bella Ballerina and the Sleeping Beauty