Start by marking “The Creamsickle” as Want to Read:
The Creamsickle

The Creamsickle

Meet The Crew.

Georgie--a hopeless romantic with a weakness for punk-rock-girls even if they consistently trample her heart.

Cruzer--a Mexican-American photographer, the tough kid, who chases love all the way to the East Coast.

Soda--a gender queer heartthrob from the Midwest, who dreams of pirate ships, moustaches and femme foxes.

Welcome to The Creamsickle, the ultimate
Published June 17th 2009 by Spinsters Ink

To ask other readers questions about The Creamsickle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Creamsickle

Rachel
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Pros:
-a person of color who isn't an obnoxious racist stereotype
-mentions of queer history through the house
-commentary on gentrification, cops, and other things Gay Inc and the HRC set don't want queers to talk about

Cons:
-dyke drama and sexcapade navel gazing (I could have just gotten that for free from my friends and roommates)
-butch bois unironically doing the same misogynistic shit as hetero dudebros without any serious critique or challenges to their behavior (even when the author prov
Ciara
May 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
to be fair, this is probably more of a 2.5, & my rating is extremely subjective. as far as my personal tastes go, this book was just okay, because i am not especially interested in the life & times of queer skater "bois" living in a ramshackle victorian in san francisco at some indeterminate time period in the fairly recent past. the characters are exactly the kind of people i have to put up with all the time in my everyday life by virture of hanging out with punk queers, & they're e ...more
Elaine Burnes
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lesbian
Disclosure: I got this free from the Lambda Literary Foundation. I guess I made a big enough donation. It won a Lammy for debut novel. The writing is quite good and it would make an interesting companion piece to Stone Butch Blues. Set in today's San Francisco, it tells the story of three bois and the ice cream colored house of the title that they live in. It might be what SBB would have been if set today. On the other hand, it pales by comparison. It's almost like the author liked her character ...more
Ruby
Jun 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have a genuine affection for this book and its characters. There are few representations of queers like the ones I know and love in literature, and all too often I find them breezy and smug. Georgie and the Crew display the requisite jadedness that pervades the culture, but Argo slowly cracks open their facades to expose the love on which the culture is built.

Particularly good: the in-stride handling of gender change and the depiction of Georgie in love.
Faith Reidenbach
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
It’s unusual to encounter literary lesbian fiction that's also a guilty pleasure, but both terms apply fairly to this book. The Creamsickle itself is full of trash--it's an unheated, lopsided flophouse in the Mission district of San Francisco that has an "ever-revolving door." Over the years, it’s been occupied by revolutionaries, "hippie fags and fairies," grunge lesbians, and now The Crew, three 20-something skateboarding bois who have made the house their "ultimate bachelor pad." Their proces ...more
Anina
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
It's kind of a punk beach read. Like teen fiction for people who just stopped being teens. Or for people who are 30 like me but forget they aren't 21. Anyhow, loved it, very well written and the characters are adorable and well rounded.
Daniel Levesque
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recent-reads
This story transcends demographics, time and space. Argo's style is immediate and smart, full of the poetry of being alive.
Linus
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: butch, lesbian, trans
Also. Es gibt ja schon einige sehr coole Dinge daran, aber insgesamt ist es mir einfach sehr unsympathisch. Ich hab das halbe Buch gebraucht, um mich in die Geschichte reinzufinden, und der machohafte Erzähltonfall macht das alles so unschön zu lesen. Und irgendwie werden genau die Dinge zelebriert, die ich an queeren Szenen irgendwie scheiße finde. Gegen Ende sind halt alle zu fertig, um weiter ganz so scheiße zu sein, und Georgie hat gelernt, dass Femmes auch Gefühle haben, juhu.
Woebbelchen
Feb 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Urch.
Neee.
Hatte mich vor ein paar Jahren so gefreut, mal ein nicht allzu tiefgründiges, queeres Buch mit trans* Charas zu lesen... aber dann war es nicht nur sterbenslangweilig, sondern primär misogyn und femme-/femininitätsfeindlich, dass ich zwischendurch meinen Augen nicht traute. Nee, mit Feminismus hat das nichts zu tun und Bois, die ihre maskuline Identität nur durch Abwertung von Femininität leben können, braucht auch wirklich kein Mensch.
Liza
While some of the gender stuff in here was interesting ('femme for pay' etc) I wasn't very invested in any of the main characters (except for Mia a little bit). I think I found it hard to empathise with all the femmephobia/misogyny kicking off. I liked that the Creamsickle had a queer history that we got to find out a bit about, but I wish that had been explored more. Excessive use of the t-slur, zero trans women and unexamined approach to trans guys somehow not being guys bothered me. Also I pe ...more
Caty
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Derivative, but I really enjoyed it.
Timothy
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer-fiction
so 2004 it hurts.
Mersini
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't know what to expect of this book, since I impulse bought it off book depository ages and ages ago, but I really enjoyed it. It took a little bit to get into, with a large chunk of the beginning becoming irrelevant to the rest of the book, but then the middle and end were great.

The characters stand out so vividly, and I can believe that they are real people. I imagine that they are somewhat based on real people. And I like the way the book explores gender and the expression of it. Of co
Mairead
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read The Creamsicle on a three day road trip. It was perfect for car reading and for killing time in the hotel. The story is full of characters who make more drama than most people do in their entire lives, but it makes for a good read. And it's nice to read about 1) lesbians and bisexual women, because a lot of books with gay themes are about guys, 2) a gay-related book that's in no way a romance, 3) a book about genderqueer and transsexual characters, and 4) a book with gay characters who ar ...more
Amy P.
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
The author does such a great job with writing a compelling story. She leaves enough of the plot to imagination that makes you fill in the story for these lovable, queer and sometimes dysfunctional characters. Argo creates a realistic queer family that many queers can relate to at sometime in their life. The story highlights the complexity of a small dating pool and the troubles that gender queers, queers, and other LGBTQ identified people often face, especially when biological families disown th ...more
malic
Jun 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i'm totally crushed out on the Creamsickle bois.

a part of me wants to give this book to my mom because it's such a great representation of our QUEER culture, particularly that of the genderqueer/fluid/radical gender/sex posi/poly/traveling experience, and it's so rare to have representations of that in media.

but mostly i just want all my friends to read it cause Rhiannon Argo knows exactly how to write a killer story of heartbreak.
Larry-bob Roberts
Aug 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
Evocative of the churn of dot-com era queer San Francisco, the book focuses on the lives of queer skate punks (originally dyke-identified, though in some cases that changes) moving through a house in the Mission. The main point of view character undergoes a transformation from butch skater to reluctantly femme stripper. Though the names have been changed for the most part, a San Franciscan familiar with the milieu can recognize the bars and strip clubs mentioned.
Queen
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was only interesting because of the original characters that are not often portrayed in literature and the strange plot. Besides this, it was too long and the events didn't really have a link between them. I feel like I read a troubled young woman's diary and didn't really get anything out of it.
kate
Jul 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
the first time i picked this up i was a little put off by the green pallor of the cover's illustration & the prevalence of the word "boi," which i kind of hate. i started it again last night & finished it today & turns out it was exactly what i was craving -- sweet, hilarious, & so, so trashy. perfect.
Jeanne
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, reviewed
interesting story but just not my sort story. makes me think of books like the catcher and the rye. messed up coming of age stories like that. I read half and then took a few week break before I finished it.
AJ
Aug 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2010, lesbian, lgbtqi

I like this kind of book because it's a fun, quick read after going through something dense and boring. It's sort of like a coming of age story set in San Francisco. I liked the characters and while the plot was definitely meandering it did make for a good book.
Arielle
Argo is a really great writer, with a gift for shining light on moments and fractions of moments. The characters in the Creamsickle are all lovable and interesting, and the story was very enjoyable. Particularly the Georgie/Mia relationship seemed very real and palpable. Recommended.
Caitlin
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
such a fun lesbian romp through punky san francisco. i loved it.
Andrea
Aug 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Charming, sexy, kept me up all night, made me miss San Francisco. Ah youth culture!
Jen
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish, lgbtq
didn't read the whole thing...was interested in the content but couldn't go so much for the lack of plot. if i'd been in a different mood maybe
Daniela
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Soda <3

Hasta ganas de ir de nuevo a SF.
Christeen
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Solidly written guilty-pleasure fun, and no one gets sent to conversion therapy.
Lauren Fulner
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute, a little bit trashy, this was candy reading that went down easily. I can't get enough books about 20 something queers though :)
M
Aug 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Beautifully Worthless
  • Butch Is a Noun
  • 100 Crushes
  • Rat Bohemia
  • The Chelsea Whistle
  • Fierce Femmes and Notorious Liars: A Dangerous Trans Girl’s Confabulous Memoir
  • Persistence: All Ways Butch and Femme
  • Some of the Parts
  • Transgender Warriors: Making History from Joan of Arc to Dennis Rodman
  • Sub Rosa
  • Crybaby Butch
  • He Mele A Hilo (A Hilo Song)
  • Brazen Femme: Queering Femininity
“My weakness: Punk rock girls with death-wish eyes.” 1 likes
“She has the longest eyelashes I have ever seen, falling like stray wishes onto her cheeks.” 1 likes