Start by marking “Science Fiction and Philosophy: From Time Travel to Superintelligence” as Want to Read:
Science Fiction and Philosophy: From Time Travel to Superintelligence

Science Fiction and Philosophy: From Time Travel to Superintelligence

A timely volume that uses science fiction as a springboard to meaningful philosophical discussions, especially at points of contact between science fiction and new scientific developments.
Raises questions and examines timely themes concerning the nature of the mind, time travel, artificial intelligence, neural enhancement, free will, the nature of persons, transhumanism, v
Published June 1st 2009 by Wiley-Blackwell (first published April 17th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Science Fiction and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Science Fiction and Philosophy

Yasser
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
أجزم أن السفر عبر الزمن ممكن. وتناقضات السفر عبر الزمن غرائب وليست مستحيلات.
دافيد لويس، فيلسوف أمريكي

لو قُدّر لشخص اسمه إكس أن تم تمثيل جزيئات جسده جزيئًا جزيئًا في جسد جديد، وتم نقل أفكار ذلك الشخص إلى عقله الجديد في جسده الجديد، هل سيكون الشخص الثاني أو إكس الثاني نفس الشخص الأوّل؟ هل سيعبر عن الشخص الأول تماما؟
ماذا لو سافر أحدهم للمستقبل وقتل أباه قبل أن يلده، كيف سيولد الشخص الذي سافر إلى الماضي ويقتل أباه الذي لم يُقتل؟
هل ستحلم الروبوتات يومًا؟ هل سيكون لها وعي بوجودها مثلنا؟

من بدايات الخيا
Greg
Dec 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
The hypothesis was sound:

I love Science Fiction.

I love Philosophy.

This is a book that brings two of my favorite things together in one book.

This book will be awesome.

The book certainly wasn't bad, and I'd still probably recommend it those with any sort of passing interest in either subject, and maybe in particular those who think they're only interested in one. But it failed in living up to my dreams and I think there is one main reason.

A few years ago I read a simply marvelous book called T
Katelis Viglas
Exceptional corpus of studies by many modern intellectuals dealing with five subjects: a) simulation, b) identity-free will-nature of persons, c) natural-artificial-hybrid-super mind, d) ethical and political issues, e) space and time. Each one of these five subjects corresponds to some important and representative Sci-Fi movies and novels. It is very pleasant that each part doesn' t start by a study, but with a short fiction story, introductory to the subject.
Criticism of the book: for the mos
Erik
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Unimaginative. For a contrast see Stanislaw Lem's Summa Technologiae. Also there is not enough of a tie between the philosophy (what little there is here) and science fiction literature.
Dexter
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it
To me the best science fictions tackles perplexing philosophical questions and carries out philosophical thought experiments through an artistic and scientific narrative. The fictional aspect of good science fiction allows us to suspend disbelief and reality to take our minds to areas we typically would not venture in the real world. Science fiction is a powerful lens for changing our view of the world today and scientific potential for tomorrow. Susan Schneider’s Science Fiction and Philosophy ...more
Aidan MacNaughton
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
The essays in themselves were a wonderful read - I am still getting through them.
I will speak more about these when I have finished, however my only criticism of this book is that there is no over arching theme that links these together, or commentary of the essays.

Issues of personal identity, and "the Mind-body" problem were fun reads.

I would have liked to have read more essays exploring how sci-fi texts have dabbled and tackled philosophical issues, such as the mind-body problem, or how the
Patris
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the author(s) you have to check the reasoning of those fictions, and then you get some recommended stories to begin with yourself...
Silvio Curtis
Dec 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An anthology of essays, mostly philosophical arguments that use thought experiments with a science fiction flavor. The essays vary a good deal in tone and intended audience. There's even a little fiction, (part of?) a good story by Asimov called "Robot Dreams," and "A Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury. The book is arranged in five sections by topic: one on living in a simulation, one on how to define persons and whether they can have free will, one on robots and cyborgs, one on "ethical issues," ...more
PJ
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I never thought Sci-Fi and philosophy mixed, but apparently they do. This book is an interesting mix of amazing, mind-bending, Sci-Fi short stories, accompanied by various philosophical essays that discuss themes related to the stories. As the book title implies, the themes range from time travel, superintelligence, what it means to be human, technological advancements, among other interesting bits. If the book title interests you, then I think you'll like it.
Matt
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
A bit scattered, and I found some contributions to be more worthwhile than others. A few even seemed downright out of place, though I'm forced to concede that they are in fact works of philosophy (even though some may not construe them as such). But overall, the investigations of mind, personhood, time, and ethics, as related to science-fictional tropes and plot devices, is interesting and worthwhile.
John Orman
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This interesting book addresses the deep questions of reality, personhood, and ethics. Virtual reality, time travel, artificial intelligence--all are portrayed in terms of common science fiction literary themes.

Are we in the Matrix, or the "real" world? How to know which? From Plato to Asimov to Bradbury, these themes are explored in essays using the backdrop of great works of science fiction.
Phil
Apr 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
The science fiction in this book is good, the philosophy isn't bad, but the length and depth of the some of the articles can become dull and boring and seems to drag on forever. I would say read at your own peril, as the thought experiments as presented are interesting, but can get long in the tooth.
Jeff Lee
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
What a boring, tedious book. It's not propagating new ideas about science fiction and mostly recyles themes from science fiction movies ('Minority Report', 'The Matrix). The language is ponderous and difficult to read. Someone like Bill Bryson is needed to revamp this book. A waste of time
Ho Manh
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of papers on a wide range of issues in modern philosophy: personal identity, the self, metaphysics of conciousness uploading, the logical possibility of time travel, nature of reality, etc. Immensely accessible and interesting!

Paul Garrett
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
A mixed bag most of which I had either read in other books or papers on AI.
Michael
Apr 26, 2011 rated it liked it
The anecdotes from other sources helped alleviate the boredom of the writers own interstitial words.
John Haake
This was a good read for sure. Some of the chapters were a bit too deep for me, others a bit too light-weight. It covered many of the sci-fi topics and mental twists I like thinking about.
Ken
  • The Purloined Poe: Lacan, Derrida, and Psychoanalytic Reading
  • Gilles Deleuze & Félix Guattari: Intersecting Lives
  • Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy: The Footprints of a Gigantic Mind
  • Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant
  • X-Men and Philosophy: Astonishing Insight and Uncanny Argument in the Mutant X-Verse
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview
  • The Hermeneutics of the Subject: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1981-82
  • Stephen Colbert and Philosophy: I Am Philosophy (And So Can You!)
  • The Beatles and Philosophy: Nothing You Can Think that Can't Be Thunk