Start by marking “Mommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore: Getting Through the First Year of Sobriety” as Want to Read:
Mommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore: Getting Through the First Year of Sobriety

Mommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore: Getting Through the First Year of Sobriety

Part recovery, part self-help, and all real, raw stories of waking up for the sake of your self and your children, Mommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore follows one mother's journey from cocktail mama to sober mama. The loving mother of twins and a newborn, Brownell used alcohol to maintain a sense of her adult self and be more than "just mommy." It didn't take long before her ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Conari Press

To ask other readers questions about Mommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore

Start your review of Mommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore: Getting Through the First Year of Sobriety
Alee Hofman
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Picked it up from the library and read it in 4 hours without stopping. Highly recommend it!
Sharon
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic writer! I hope she writes more books
Crystal
Aug 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
I feel like my choice to receive this ARC, and consequently read it, might need a little bit of background story.

Since I mentioned previously that I’m not so into self-help books, my reading this may seem strange. However, alcoholism is something that runs in my family and I decided I wanted to read something that would maybe help me get some insight into the addictions no one wants to talk about, but we all know exist.

To read the rest of my review, please visit:
Joanne
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it
A funny book about a serious subject, this memoir takes us into the life of Rachael Brownell. She tells us how she used to drink, how it was affecting her family and how she used AA to pull herself out of the downward spiral she was stuck in. I read this very quickly, in one or two hours. I definitely don't recommend purchasing it, but if you see it at the library and the subject interests you, it's a very entertaining book. I'm sure there are plenty of moms out there who will be able to relate ...more
Sarah Benton
Feb 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Rachael Brownell has he courage to write about what so many mothers are experiences but feeling to much shame to come forward. She is opening the doors on discussing this topic and increasing awareness around the topic of mothers and alcoholism. She writes eloquently and with an appropriate sense of humor that allows the reader to truly hear her voice. This is a must read for mothers who are sober, their loved ones and those who think they may have an alcohol problem. As a therapist, I have ...more
Celia
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've read other books written by women dealing with addiction (Drinking, A Love Story; Truth and Beauty)-- this was as beautifully written as those and then some because the author chronicled the actual moment by moment willingness and what it takes to say no day in and day out to that which on some level you always love but is kiling you-- I am no a substance abuser, but have food addiction issues and so appreciated the parallel nature of hers and my story.

I even corresponded with the author on
Kristin
Dec 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Kudos to Rachel Brownwell for a memoir of a woman who is not the mother of an alcoholic, but she herself is an alcoholic mother. Candid and hopeful, and speaks to those women who are overlooked, desperate and vulnerable. Addicted mothers hide their disease due to extreme shame and quilt, and, therefore, are often the most quietly devastated - and the most reluctant to seek help. She's a heroine for her courage, strength, and humor. I read it in a day.
Andrea
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs
A very fast read, mommyblogger-style, about one woman's realization that she needs to get and stay sober. Some pretty raw stuff here, and her ability to write about the totally bleak stuff so honestly is really moving. Her explanations of her struggles feel totally real. A great book.
Amy Hatvany
Nov 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great memoir from a funny, self-effacing woman who struggles to come to terms with her alcoholism.
Sandy  Kemp
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
better than a lot of this type of book
Amanda
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A funny, heart wrenching, and realistic memoir about a mom suffering from alcohol addiction and overcoming it.
Therese
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book about the first year of sobriety. I found myself shaking my head "YES!!" on several occasions.
Aubrey
May 01, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a quick read, and a good one. Made me remember the best part of AA - knowing I am not alone with my feelings/experiences. Not too cultish, though. Supportive and thought provoking.
Melissa
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
My only question more and more is why aren't all mothers of small children alcoholics? Seriously, this was a great read for anyone.

PS - Chocolate is actually my drug of choice!
Lyndsay

• Drinking: A Love Story
  • Bottled: A Mom's Guide to Early Recovery
  • The Sober Diaries: How one woman stopped drinking and started living
  • Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget
  • This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol: Find Freedom, Discover Happiness & Change Your Life
  • A Happier Hour
  • Because We Are Bad: OCD and a Girl Lost in Thought
  • Too Far Gone
  • Nothing Good Can Come from This
  • Sober Ever After
  • Unwasted: My Lush Sobriety
  • Dearly Devoted Dexter (Dexter, #2)
  • Mrs D is Going Without: I used to be a boozy housewife. Now I'm not. This is my book.
  • The Revenant
  • Prophet's Prey: My Seven-Year Investigation Into Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-Day Saints
  • Mastering Stand-Up: The Complete Guide to Becoming a Successful Comedian
  • The Suicide Collectors
Rachael Brownell is the mother of three and a recovering alcoholic and perfectionist. She writes a monthly column, Rugrat Reprieve, for the Imperfect Parent, wrote a daily column for Babbles Strollerderby Parenting blog, and was recently managing editor for supereco.com. She lives and breathes books and language. "