Start by marking “It Was a Dark and Stormy Night” as Want to Read:
It Was a Dark and Stormy Night

It Was a Dark and Stormy Night

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  222 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
A small boy who has been kidnapped by brigands, passes a dark and stormy night in their cave weaving for them incredible stories of their own exploits. Through the stories he solves his own problem and manages to escape.
Published July 30th 1998 by Puffin (first published February 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about It Was a Dark and Stormy Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Was a Dark and Stormy Night

Sue Read
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
As soon as I read the word 'brigands' in the first sentence, I knew I was going to love this book. Who else writes about brigands and uses the phrase 'right-o' and manages to convey so much humour but the wonderful Ahlbergs? I was laughing out loud as I read this. I love its pace, the ridiculous Chief, the clever Antonio, the story Antonio tried to tell, mirroring the real story we find him in...he was kidnapped by the brigands.

The brigands like Antonio's story, but ask for hilarious changes, fo
Savannah-Alicia Lloyd
Found this book hard to get into at first but eventually found myself smiling as I turned the pages. Antonio is a cheeky main character that brings the story to life with amusement. Illustrations are great and capture what the text says perfectly. I definitely think primary school aged children would enjoy this book!
Jon Saunders
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Andrew Christou
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Summary *no spoilers*:

It was a dark and stormy night, the rain came down in torrents, there were brigands on the mountains, and wolves, and the chief of the brigands said to Antonio, “I’m bored – tell us a story”.

Antonio, a master storyteller and cheeky so-and-so from Southern Italy has been kidnapped by a bickering band of unbathed brigands. While his parents anxiously search for him around the mountains and valleys, he entertains the hideout with his improvised stories of killer parrots, haun
Sarina
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my review of 'It Was a Dark and Stormy Night'.

One of my favourite childhood books. the story features an eight year old boy Antonio, who is kidnapped by pirates who demand a story from him. Antonio the eight year old simply begins with "it was a dark and stormy night...". This caption was the platform for a variety of endless adventures that Antonio told them. For children it inspires them to think creatively and 'out of the box', as anything can be made possible through story telling.
Amy
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was by no means the first book I ever read but I remember it unequivocally as the first book I ever enjoyed reading.

We were allowed to pick our own book from my primary school’s small library on reading week and this was mine.

Curled up on the beanbag chair I experienced for the first time what it was like swept away with a tale, building a world within your imagination and becoming immersed within it.

Before this reading had merely been a chore, something I did as part of English lessons a
Siobhan
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderful read from my childhood, one I’d certainly suggest for other youngsters. Whilst it is not my all-time favourite childhood read I can still recall all the details of this one meaning it certainly left a lasting impression upon my young mind.

And isn’t that what we want with children’s books, for them to leave a positive lasting impression?
Ivor
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a brilliant book. The funniest bit when the captain told the boy to tell a story and he told the story of what was happening right then at that moment, even when the captain blew his nose. And he still continued even when the captain said stop it. I wish I could give it infinity stars. Ivor aged 5 and a half
Duane Alexander
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow, postmodernism meets children's lit! How fun, Derrida would be proud.
RhiannaH
Ideal hook for a story telling topic; each story beginning by Antonio can be provided and then completed by the children in your class. Additionally, looking at the story as complete, different elements of speech and language can be explored as well as changing moods of the other characters. A fun read to share with any class.
Emily Holmes
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great story with an abundance of teaching opportunities. I have used this on my second school placement in a year 3 class. We used it mainly in our English lessons. The children created a wide variety of writing all based on this boo. The children really engaged in the book too.
Amy Aldridge
Aug 23, 2018 added it
Shelves: novels
Although difficult to get into an interesting story that could be used in class to encourage children to write their own story like Antonio has done in this book.
Robert Beveridge
Janet and Allan Ahlberg, It Was a Dark and Stormy Night (Viking, 1993)

Somewhat wordy for a preschool-set book, but an amusing story nonetheless; a kidnapped boy escapes from a band of pirates by telling them a scary story. As the story progresses, the pirates modify it and add to it, thus contributing to their own fates. I'd think this one would probably go over better in a classroom than a home setting, but it's certainly worth checking out and seeing how the kids react. ***

Kelly
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is my favorite children's book of all time, which is pretty hard to say- but it is just delightful. I have a lot of favorites, but this one is always the one I read on rainy days with a mug of hot chocolate.
Pauline
May 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Eh. Kind of long for a children's book as it didn't hold Robby's (or my) attention.
Eloise
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Story-telling meta for kids! What's not to love.
(Ahlberg books are how you raise a lit geek - case in point)
Jenks
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent childhood classic
Mckinley
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, weather, crime
Fun. Talk your way out...
Louise F
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Didn't keep my attention during the main part of the story, but a great, unexpected, ending. Worth a read, but give it time.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Dreadful. Circuitous. Repetitive. How on earth can you use the word brigand at least 48 times in a book like this? And then need to use brigandry? Ugh. Really seriously awful. Don't bother.
Ida
Sep 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Simply a fun-filled book! My children loved it almost as much as I did! If you want to read it before bedtime, get an early start...it is lengthy.
Claire Louise
  • The Twins' Blanket
  • A Bus Called Heaven
  • The Pet Dragon
  • Again!
  • I Didn't Do My Homework Because...
  • The Gigantic Turnip
In the early 1960s, Allan studied teacher training in Sunderland, where he also met Janet, his future wife. He had tackled a wide variety of jobs, ranging from postman to plumber's mate before working as a primary teacher for ten years. Janet, however, discovering that she 'couldn't do the policing job', went on to study graphic design, which led her to her vocation as an illustrator.

Several years