Start by marking “Toby, Where Are You?” as Want to Read:
Toby, Where Are You?

Toby, Where Are You?

Toby loves hiding from his parents, but when he begins to think they will never find him, he just can't stand it.
Published April 1st 1999 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Toby, Where Are You?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toby, Where Are You?

Rani
May 15, 2017 Rani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#play #picinic #family When Toby goes on a picnic with his parents, he plays on! #Earlyreaders #Picturebook #bookreview #ChildrensBook
Josiah
May 24, 2010 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The copyright date for this book is 2004, so I guess that it was published posthumously.

Toby, Who Are You? has a terrific amount of natural charm to it, and the illustrations are no small part of that charm. Toby and his parents are a picture of sweetness and simplicity between a child and his parents, going on a picnic outdoors and playing little games the entire time, with Toby popping out of surprising hiding spots and pretending to be a new kind of animal each time.

This is a winsome story
Josiah
May 24, 2010 Josiah rated it did not like it
Whenever William Steig delegates to another artist the illustrating work in any of his books, it seems that the chosen artist is tremendously capable of casting light upon the work of this great author.

Playing a game of Hide-and-Seek with his parents, Toby dashes from hiding spot to hiding spot throughout the house, always staying a few steps ahead of where his parents are searching. The illustrated scenes around the house and outside are surprisingly beautiful in some cases, nicely commending
Jeniann
Oct 15, 2008 Jeniann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Normally William Steig is a bit too weird for me, but this one was illustrated by someone else. It looks like there are a couple of versions of the illustrations. I love the illustrations in this book in particular where the little boy hides from his parents and they are looking for him and you can see him hiding someplace else. My two year old just loves this one. And this review is now probably longer than all of the text in the actual book. Ha!
Dolly
Jan 03, 2015 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous tale about playing hide and seek at bedtime. The narrative is good for reading with younger children, and they will love searching for Toby on each page. I knew that this book would likely be a bit too 'babyish' for our girls' tastes, but we have really liked William Steig's books, so I thought I'd check it out. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Kyjafree
Jun 26, 2014 Kyjafree rated it really liked it
Toby pretends to be things and his parents have to guess what he is. on there last guess his parents asked if we get this one right will you go to sleep? so they guessed it right and he had to go to sleep. but before he did he pretended to be a scary monster.
Feb 02, 2009 Tricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, children-s
Why are these three books (Who are You, Where are You, What are You) showing up as different editions of one title? Strange. The books (all 3, despite what goodreads thinks) are enjoyable. My own Toby loves how this Toby is able to trick his parents in such fun ways.
KMC
Jun 12, 2009 KMC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would be great for a "pretend" themed storytime. This is one of Steig's sweeter books for very young kids.
Jessica
Dec 01, 2010 Jessica rated it liked it
A short book about a little mouse hiding from his mother and father. Could be usd to teach prediction for early readers.
Rachel Rouleau
A lot of William Steig's books are longer with too much text for a toddler, but this one is probably best for 1.5-2 yr olds. Fun to find Toby on each page. My three-year-old liked it.
Rochelle
Jun 06, 2010 Rochelle rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
We've read it 100 times....it's not too good, but we bought it because the troublemaker's name is Toby!
Jul 15, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, read-aloud
The books in Steig's "Toby" series are enjoyable. My own Toby loves how this Toby is able to trick his parents in such fun ways.
Jul 15, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, read-aloud
The books in this series are enjoyable. My own Toby loves how this Toby is able to trick his parents in such fun ways. In this one, you can look for clues as to where Toby is hiding.
Brittany
This book is great to read when talking about imagination and pretending.
Clarissa
Feb 24, 2014 Clarissa rated it it was amazing
This is great, but too small to read to a large group, alas!
Becky Carleton
Becky Carleton rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Grant Bright
Grant Bright rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2017
Aisha
Aisha rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2013
Beyond the Pages
Beyond the Pages rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Kit Feral
Kit Feral rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2017
Benjamin Elliott
Benjamin Elliott rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Jennifer Mason
Jennifer Mason rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2012
Lindella
Lindella rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2014
Yuna K
Yuna K rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2015
Bennet
Bennet rated it it was ok
May 03, 2012
Cammy Koch
Cammy Koch rated it it was ok
May 10, 2014
Dean Duncan
Dean Duncan rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Emily Isaacs
Emily Isaacs rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
William Steig was born in New York City in 1907. In a family where every member was involved in the arts, it was not surprising that Steig became an artist.

He published his first children's book, Roland the Minstrel Pig, in 1968, embarking on a new and very different career.

Steig's books reflect his conviction that children want the security of a devoted family and friends. When Sylvester, Farmer
More about William Steig...