Start by marking “Never Use White Type on a Black Background: And 50 Other Ridiculous Design Rules” as Want to Read:

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Design has many rules that claim to be big truths and full of wisdom. Designers all go by rules that work for them. However, their rules may not work for someone else, or for a particular piece of design work. When a rule is forced upon you, it stops working and becomes a joke, like “Never use a PC,” or “Leave it until the last minute,” or the most famous of them all, “Les ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by BIS Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Never Use White Type on a Black Background, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Use White Type on a Black Background

Lisa Rector
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had no idea there were so many rules about design. I had a delightful time discovering the ones I didn't know ("Never photograph people eating", "Helvetica always works", "Turn it upside down", "Never use white type on a black background"), and finding out the ones that have guided my choices, aren't necessarily true (thank goodness). I love the supporting quotations, and the visuals are perfect in their quirkiness.
Paperdoll
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
“Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one.”

Having said that, we love the positive reviews we’ve received from both critics and members of the press. Which is why we ditch the rules of etiquette and blow our own horn by sharing some of the reviews with you…

"This handy aphorism debunker should help every aspiring creative and client cut through the clichés."
- Wallpaper

"Its funny and edgy, and is a perfect gift for the designer that wants a good laugh or to anyone else who want a good laug
Evania Fasya
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like the idea behind the book, to write opinions for particular design rules. I have heard many design rules which are agreeable but sometimes I found some doubtful statements. By reading this book I accept these rules in different perspectives. The illustrations of each pages are inspirational, I enjoy them the most. Moreover, this book does not only discuss graphic design, it describes other aspect of design too, it's a plus. I would recommend the book for quick fun read!
Lauren
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. I expected this book to have more content, but it's really just design and one rule, then an intro, and a few quotes about that rule. It was entertaining and inspiring at times, but most of them I already knew about. It's worth getting from the library, but not to buy yourself, in my opinion.
Judith
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
I shouldn't complain...I'm not in the graphic design field so, of course this book
won't "speak" to me as loudly. An easy, fun read and it was such fun to
recognize one of my favorite designers: Maira Kalman!
Derrick Connell
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Read it for quotes to help stimulate designers and product people to think about what they are doing. If your designers don't have their own view on design rules, you are in trouble :)
Loulwa
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-design-co
Simple , straightforward "rules" for anyone in the design, marketing or branding industry.
Kartini
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Great quick read to engage that part of your brain that thinks about what makes good design.
Jenn
Oct 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
a fun read
C
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
I think the point of this is that there is no point. For every rule in graphic design there are plenty of folks to say you shouldn't follow it.

Minah
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it
"I have combined the ideas of beauty and function into one word: Beautility." - Tucker Viemeister, American industrial designer ...more
Tessa

• Lincoln's Last Trial: The Murder Case That Propelled Him to the Presidency
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Confidence Code for Girls: Taking Risks, Messing Up, and Becoming Your Amazingly Imperfect, Totally Powerful Self
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Jackie, Janet & Lee: The Secret Lives of Janet Auchincloss and Her Daughters, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Lee Radziwill
  • Just the Funny Parts: My 30 Years on the Hollywood Jungle Gym
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
    $8.99 $2.49
  • The Millionaire Fastlane
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99