Start by marking “Dying Gasp (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #3)” as Want to Read:
Dying Gasp (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #3)

Dying Gasp (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #3)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  216 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The granddaughter of a prominent politician is missing. Silva and his team find her in Manaus, a jungle hellhole on the Amazon where an evil female doctor is making gory snuff films. Silva must overcome his own department’s indifference and the corrupt local cops before he can obtain a semblance of justice for the victims.
Published January 1st 2010 by Soho Crime (first published December 11th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dying Gasp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dying Gasp

Bree T
Dec 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really dislike reading a series out of order. When I ordered this book in from my local library, I didn’t actually realise it was part of a series, I just requested it because it was set in South America and I needed novels set there for my 2010 Global Challenge. I was a few people down the list and when it finally was held for me, I had to go away straight after for 2wks so I finally got around to completing it today. It’s novel #3 in the Mario Silva series and I get the feeling that I really ...more
Wonderkell
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This series of books is really great & this volume, once you get past the sickening subject matter of child prostitution, trafficking & snuff films, is a really good read.
Its an heartbreaking revelation in the Author's Note at the end of the book that this is based around some true events. For exsmple the following quote "...in Arapina, the "services" of girls as young as eight could be bought for ten Reais, about five American dollars." This quote nearly made me vomit, I mean literally
Rob
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some say they're an urban legend; I suspect they're true. Snuff films. Leighton Gage’s Inspector Silva tackles a gory plot where a doctor is making these films deep in the Amazon and then selling them throughout Europe. Unfortunately, Silva must overcome his own department’s indifference and the corrupt local cops before he can obtain a semblance of justice for the young victims. A chilling page-turner, one of Gage’s best.
Melissa
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
This book was really good, I basically couldn't put it down. It had a lot of twists and turns and just kept you in its grip. It would be five stars but I just didn't like some things about the ending.
Heidi Waldo
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Politically and socially relevant

Once again, Leighton Gage tackles the grisly hard truth about Brazil's corruption and exploitation. Mario Silva is one of the best modern detective s out there. This is a great read.
Elizabeth
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: brazil
Brutal.
Valentina
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in the series, a captivating look at the child-prostitution trafficking in Brazil. The author was kind enough to offer me both this book and the second and I am very thankful. I truly enjoyed it.
The writing was as concise as the first one, but the story was even more thought out, the complex plot lines merging and weaving together in an almost seamless fashion. It was fast paced without being manic, and I for one, never found myself bored or confused.
The characters are th
Chris
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-brazil
Disturbing but compelling. Once you get past the idea of a book about snuff films and the violence that permeates the Amazon frontier the author seduces you with his masterful fast paced plot. Inspector Silva is in a race to find a girl and to locate an extraordinarily evil woman ( not like the ELO song for sure). It didn't end the way I thought it would either but there is another high body count-no surprise there. Silva is the master of the game. Condescending corrupt senior bureacrats think t ...more
Robert Intriago
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, crime-noir
Four and a half. I enjoyed this dark mystery about the child trade and snuff videos. Of the first three Gage books, this one was the best and I look foward to reading the next. The author does a good job of giving you some historical facts about Brazil, but the best part is his description of the corruption of the local Brazilian police and the reasons for it. Mario Silva makes more of an appearance in this book than he did in the previous ones and Agente Nunez character keeps on growing and I l ...more
Junying
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I read Mr Gage's first three books in a span of two weeks, and I think I'm going to a take a short break from reading murder mysteries, before I'm accused of being bloody-thirsty and 'have a glutton for punishment'. A very short break, that is, as this happens to be one of my fav genres.

The graphic descriptions, blood-shed and bodies piling up in books do not bother me, if they come out as being realistic and justified. In the case of Mario Silva series, I think they are. I knew what I was gett
Michael
Jan 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
I understand what Gage is trying to do here. Underage sex trafficking is a real problem, and I have nothing against using fiction to expose problems in society. Gage has done it successfully in the past, but this one crosses my line in terms of graphic depictions of violence and sex. I don't think it was necessary or enhanced the book at all. Regretfully, I'm passing on the rest of the Silva books.
John
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good police procedural. Extraordinarily violent thematically as are all of his books that I have read, though this one is particularly notable given that the driving plot device involves filming snuff movies. That being said the author hews to plausibility in terms of outcomes and his sense of place (Brazil) rings true and different. Very readable.
Lisa
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Snappy pace & familiar characters make this an easy read. Tiny, not really a spoiler -------------

But how can every Federal level crime in Brazil tie together with another current investigation?

LOL - I still enjoy this series quite a bit.
Catherine Woodman
I agree with the reviewer who states this is a formula book--but it is a well wrtiten one, and so while I would give the blanket advice of not becoming overly fond of the victim who appears to have a chance of making it in this author's books, because it just isn't so, they are good.
Mildred Merz
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Fascinating to be back in Manaus--it was also setting for Patchett's State of wonder. Book made the evils of child prostitution real to me. It also helps that Chief Inspector silva is such an admirable and ethical policeman.
Michael
Oct 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-fun
I liked the first two in the series better. This one was good. not as good as the other two.

I am looking forward to reading the 4th.
Linda
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Continue like Gage's books.
Rachel G.
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and one of the somewhat more believable books in the series. It's surprising at times, gratifying at others, and sometimes maddening. Very enjoyable.
Vikas Datta
Dark but spell-binding
Karen Anderson
Sep 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Good writing...dark, seedy subject matter.
Wanda
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's sad to think that there is so much abuse of young girls. Brazil seems like such a corrupt place. Glad to see the nasty woman finally got it in the end. Really like the main character.
Nidia
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
A fast paced gripping read!
Shelby Shoop
Feb 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Mary Ahlgren
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Brazil does not sound like a very good place to live, especially if you are poor and female.
Vintagebooklvr
Topnotch.
Desiree
Jan 04, 2011 added it
Shelves: recomended
This book was really sick and twisted but it was a really good book and I couldn't put it down.
Kristin
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
good read but very disturbing
Mira Kolar-Brown
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My favourite Gage.
Randy
May 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Snapshot (Inspector Challis, #3)
  • Stolen Lives (Jade de Jong, #2)
  • White Sky, Black Ice (Nathan Active Mystery, #1)
  • A Window in Copacabana
  • Siren of the Waters (Commander Jana Matinova, #1)
  • After the Darkness
  • The Skeleton Box (Starvation Lake, #3)
  • All Cry Chaos (Henri Poincaré Mystery, #1)
  • Devil's Peak (Benny Griessel, #1)
  • Dogstar Rising (Makana, #2)
  • Hurt Machine (Moe Prager, #7)
  • Zulu
  • Dead Heat (Goodabri #1)
  • Hindsight (Cas Lehman and Detective Ed Dyson #1)
  • The Papers of Tony Veitch (Jack Laidlaw, #2)
  • Some Buried Caesar/The Golden Spiders
Died July 27th, 2013

Leighton Gage writes the Chief Inspector Mario Silva series, crime novels set in Brazil. He and his Brazilian-born wife divide their time between their home in Brazil and those of their children and grandchildren in Europe and the U.S.
Praise for the Chief Inspector:

Hard-hitting, atmospheric…. Despite their social conscience and ambitious reach, there's nothing stiff or programm
More about Leighton Gage

Chief Inspector Mario Silva (7 books)
  • Blood of the Wicked (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #1)
  • Buried Strangers (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #2)
  • Every Bitter Thing (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #4)
  • A Vine in the Blood (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #5)
  • Perfect Hatred (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #6)
  • The Ways of Evil Men (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #7)