Start by marking “Jane Austen's Sewing Box: Craft Projects & Stories from Jane Austen's Novels” as Want to Read:
Jane Austen's Sewing Box: Craft Projects & Stories from Jane Austen's Novels

Jane Austen's Sewing Box: Craft Projects & Stories from Jane Austen's Novels

Based on the novels of Jane Austen, this beautifully presented book is for craft enthusiasts and lovers of history and literature alike. A celebration of the Regency period, each of the 18 sewing, needlecraft, knitting, paper and decorative projects is accompanied by an extract from the relevant novel, with historical notes.
Published June 1st 2009 by Murdoch Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Austen's Sewing Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Austen's Sewing Box

Anne
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy, craft-books
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOOOOOOVE!! I need to buy this one! If you're a Janeite and love sewing, I highly, highly recommend it! Must have! :D Proper review coming when I have read it all.
Caroline
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ok, before we start, full disclosure: My name is Caroline and I am an Austenaholic. I love all things Regency and especially all things Jane Austen. I can quote large chunks of Pride and Prejudice (the novel) and whole scenes of the BBC version from the 90s, as well as scenes and speeches from Emma, Sense and Sensibility and Mansfield Park. So obsessed am I, I even managed to dedicate a whole chapter of my business-focussed Publishing Studies Masters dissertation to Jane Austen, drawing some ten ...more
Mary-Frances
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I just LOVED this - being someone who sews AND loves Jane Austen, the descriptions of the projects, the materials used and the history - as well as tying it to quotes from the books and from jane Austen herself, was fabulous.
Aryani Siti
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book for craft lover who like vintage projects. I'm gonna make a thread case. The instruction is very clear and easy to follow.
Victoria
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I stumbled across this book quite by accident, and it was a fascinating learning experience. Interspersed between various crafts from the regency era, is information about each type of craft: purses, linens, transparencies (painted glass), mats, reticules, etc. It was great because I had a slight knowledge of some of those items, it afforded me a greater study. Now I really know what it means to net purses or to have a transparency. I didn't take on any of the crafts myself - it was a library bo ...more
Collette
Nov 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Contains a good deal of information the crafting done by women in the 18th century, and has some lovely fashion plates, but the directions for some of the crafts should have been better and the projects themselves should have been better photographed. I'm giving it four stars for the historical content alone. I'm glad to have it, but some of the pages seem to be merely decorative filler. I do not think it is worth the price tag, especially as this is an import and copies are difficult to find he ...more
Bells
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
As a Jane Austen fan, new sewing fanatic, knitter and history lover generally, this book had to be in my possession. I'm still working my way through it but it's beautiful. Am so surprised it had never been done before. It seems so obvious. As a knitter I always notice the mention of anything to do with knitting and 'worsted work' in novels, particularly in Elizabeth Gaskell's books so it's lovely to see such information all in one place.
Judi
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jane Austen fans, history buffs, anyone interested in crafts, needlework
Shelves: 2000s, crafts
Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is probably my favorite novel of all times, the Regency period is my fovorite historical era and I really like history and needlecrafts so this book combines all of those things and was reasonably priced too. Love this book although many of the projects are not that practical for today. Lots of portraits, exerpts from Austen's novels and historical data. One of the few books I've bought new and paid full price.
Patricia
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
It's OK. But it is somewhat interesting... It's a bit precious in parts, with lots of quotes from the books that support the kind of needle work that she is introducing. The projects are not terribly interesting, but maybe it;s because I am a needleworker already, so the challenge isn't the same.
Zsofi
Mar 20, 2012 added it
Found it at the dream museum: V&A, and although my original intention was to buy a book about the sixties for the love love love project I ended up buying this, I thought I might make better use of it. :D
Gaile
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Although this a beautiful book, well laid out with many amazing prints, the projects can easily be found in many other sewing or craft books. They are not really that original. The author uses paragraphs from Jane Austen's books to highlight the projects.
katie
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
One day I shall net a purse! :)
Lesley-Anne McLeod
An absolute delight--great crafts, and a beautifully presented book.
Literary Detectives
We can't wait to get started on this - coming up after 'Austentatious Crochet'!
Jolly Roger
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this more for information of Jane Austen's time, which it definitely delivers. The layout and pretty pages are inspiring.
Gasuski Suski
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are amazing - I wouldn't sew any of the projects but the history of that time using fabric, thread and the purses are beautiful.
Galina Krasskova
Jun 23, 2016
rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Jennifer Forest is an author and freelance heritage consultant. She has also traded shares, started and closed a small business and written four other books. A few years ago, Jennifer had a life that involved suits and office towers. She worked as a project manager for government and in various roles in museums.

Work Women Want: Work at Home or go Part-Time is Jennifer's fifth book. She is on a que