Start by marking “Trading Places: How We Are Giving Our Future To Japan & How To Reclaim It” as Want to Read:
Trading Places: How We Are Giving Our Future To Japan & How To Reclaim It

Trading Places: How We Are Giving Our Future To Japan & How To Reclaim It

A leading international business expert, former trade negotiator, and lifelong student of Japanese culture shows how America is abdicating its future to Japan and offers some practical solutions for reversing this trend. Selected by Business Week as one of the ten best business books of the year.
Published February 12th 1990 by Basic Books (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Trading Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trading Places

Start your review of Trading Places: How We Are Giving Our Future To Japan & How To Reclaim It
Mike
16 years later, with Japan's economy in the dumper and their economic prospects looking almost as bad as ours, you might be tempted to think that Prestowitz was misguided in some way when he wrote this in 1993. You'd be very wrong. If the US had taken the prescriptions that Prestowitz has been peddling for the past 25 years or so, we would absolutely not be in the mess we're in now.

We probably never will be able to implement any of Prestowitz's good ideas because they require long-term sustaine
Kurishin
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, despite the publishing date, remains relevant today. Prestowitz' analysis of Japanese business culture and related structural issues is poignant. Furthermore, his analysis of American structural trade and economic issues is as well. He was aware of excesses in the Japanese financial system in the 1980's even if he did not see how they would play out over the next decades. Japanese hubris in the late 1980's was peaking and it is interesting to see how that is represented in this book. ...more
Rebekah Sheppard
Extremely enlightening about what American defines as National Security, and what it sells out to pursue that goal. I still refer to this book even nearly 30 years since I've read it - very relevant today. ...more
John  Ervin
Paige
Mar 12, 2020
JZ
May 11, 2020
Clyde Prestowitz (born 1941) is the founder and President of the Economic Strategy Institute. He formerly served as counselor to the Secretary of Commerce in the Reagan Administration. He is a labor economist.

News & Interviews