Start by marking “The Best Horror of the Year Volume One” as Want to Read:
The Best Horror of the Year Volume One

The Best Horror of the Year Volume One

(The Best Horror of the Year #1)

An Air Force Loadmaster is menaced by strange sounds within his cargo; a man is asked to track down a childhood friend... who died years earlier; doomed pioneers forge a path westward as a young mother discovers her true nature; an alcoholic strikes a dangerous bargain with a gregarious stranger; urban explorers delve into a ruined book depository, finding more than they a ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Night Shade (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Horror of the Year Volume One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Horror of the Year Volume One

Start your review of The Best Horror of the Year Volume One
Nancy Oakes
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
To be perfectly blunt, if this was a selection of the best horror of the year 2008, either I must have missed something or horror writing was at an ebb that year. Out of 21 stories, there were three that were relatively creepy, and out of those, I'd already read one. To be sure, I know that anthologies are pretty iffy, but in the world of hit or miss, this book takes the prize for most misses. I hate being so negative, but jeez -- there's just no other way to say it.

The tale I liked the best was
Jess the Shelf-Declared Bibliophile
Ugh. Why is it so difficult to find a GREAT horror anthology? They always seem to be mediocre, and this was no different. Decent, okayish stories for the most part, a couple that were actually enjoyable, but overall, not wowed.
Mauoijenn
Another great anthology of short horror stories.
Angela
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
It's hard sometimes settling on a star rating for anthologies. They're notoriously a mixed bag for obvious reasons. And generally I'm ride or die for Ellen Datlow's editing but she puts out SO MANY that not every one can knock it out of the park. This was unfortunately that sort for me -- there were a few gems but many more that I felt ambivalent about. Penguins of the Apocalypse was by far my favorite. 2.5*
Dr. Detroit
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
The problem with most horror anthologies, including this one, is the loose, free and easy application of the term “horror” to what ultimately ends up in the table of contents.

In my strange world (it’s okay, they know me there), red meat, arteries bustin’ wide open, grey matter going up in flame, and writing that attacks the beast and gets in and gets out without carrying any excess baggage – in other words, something that actually repulses, horrifies, or even causes your gorge to rise - goes a l
Jonathan Briggs
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Indie outfit Night Shade Books swooped to the rescue after bigger publisher St. Martin's scuttled Ellen Datlow's long-running annual anthology of the best horror fiction. Although it's good to have the venerable editor still at work culling the good stuff, the inaugural volume of this series reboot is wobbly on its newborn feet. It's not that the stories are particularly objectionable. But for the most part, they're not exceptional either. What makes them the "best" horror of 2008? They're not s ...more
Brendan Moody
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's important to start with what this volume is not. It's not a collection of a particular type of horror story; Datlow's taste, while tending toward the subtle over the blatant, is wide-ranging, and includes stories traditional and modern (to the extent that these labels are useful), long and short, serious and comic. Some are closer to dark fantasy than "horror" as some readers define it. This book is also not necessarily cued to your specific tastes. the editor has not magically reached into ...more
Ross Lockhart
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Read in manuscript. A solid collection of terrifying tales, collecting the best short stories and fiction published in 2008. High points include E. Michael Lewis's "Cargo," William Browning Spencer's "Penguins of the Apocalypse," Laird Barron's "The Lagerstatte," Adam Golaski's "The Man From the Peak," and Simon Bestwick's "The Narrows."
Andrew Neal
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
There's a thin line between portraying something mysteriously horrific and writing so vaguely that a reader doesn't know what the hell you're saying. Most of the authors in this anthology trip over that line so hard that this should be an America's Funniest Home Videos montage, not a Best Horror anthology.

Having said that, I quite liked:
The Hodag
Loup-Garou
It Washed Up
The Narrows
Daniel
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Horror fans that are willing to ignore the weaker stories
Overall a below average anthology that unfortunately does not do its name any justice. If it wasn't for the fine entries by Laird Barron and William Spencer Browning this anthology would not be worth mentioning at all. Either 2008 was a extremely bad year for horror fiction (even though I remember it quite differently) or the the normally impeccable Ellen Datlow had a bad day (or rather a bad year) when chosing this sea of mediocrity as the year's best horror.

But enough of my lengthy ramblings,
Rachel
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
My favorite story was The Hodag, which was a perfect slice of Americana - isolated, violent, haunted, creepy Americana.
DeAnna Knippling
Lots of brilliant stories--but enough meh that it gets a 4. A zombie does not a horror story make.
Beth Roberts
I like anthologies the same way I like M&M's: they're chocolate so they're all good. They're small, so they don't require a major commitment, and all the different colors make them fun.

And every now and then, you get one you swear just tastes better than the others. I still swear the tan ones were more chocolaty than the others but then they stopped making those, so that's another story.

But anyway. . .I've read enough short fiction the last few years to start recognizing the authors that I seem
Pam Winkler
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good collection. A lot of good pieces and a few fantastic ones.
Cargo by E. Michael Lewis was good.
If Angels Fight by Richard Bowes was interesting and good.
The Clay Party by Steve Duffy was one I read earlier, it's a very good story.
Penguins of the Apocalypse by William Browning Spencer was outstandingly creepy.
Esmeralda: the First Book Depository Story by Glen Hirshberg was good.
The Hodag by Trent Hergenrader was also good.
Very Low-Flying Aircraft by Nicholas Royle is one I've
Kimberlie
Some good stories, some meh.

Some of the stories are okay. I liked a few, but I wish I had read reviews before I bought the first 8 books of this series. The stories are not bad, they're just not all super interesting to me. I'm going to stop reviewing story by story after When The Gentlemen Go By unless there are any I really like.

Cargo ***
The cargo is some of the bodies from the Jonestown massacre, and the story is about the horrors that come with them. Very creepy, this one gave me goosebumps,
Gary Siebert
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. Finally able to pick up an used copy of volume one. On to volume four and then the two most recent volumes. A little bit of everything horror in these volumes, from Lovecraftian to body horror to apocalyptic to monsters and more. Even some macabre poetry! Volumes also include excellent information on all things in horror literature from the year previous to publication: award winners in horror, new books, magazines (print and ezines), etc. Closes with a brief, entertaining bi ...more
Јордан Коцевски
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would've rate this anthology 3.5 if possible instead of 4 starts.
What bothered me most was the fact that there are some really good story whose effect and pleasent experienced is lost because of the mediocre and bed stories. there are some stories that I wouldn't put in the genre of horror, some predictive ones, some that have nice way of building tension but don't deliver at the end.
I wouldn't call this the best horror stories.
On the other side that are stories so we'll paced and intriguin
Casey
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Scorpio-of-Autumn
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Some stories are phenomenal, one was unnecessarily disgusting and involved child rape (that certainly lowered my score), but the finale story was my absolute favorite!

Overall, nothing stunning or actually scary (save for the last story), but a nice way to pass the time.
Violet Laflamme
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
DNF - the stories were not engaging and not really what I'd qualify as horror save for one. I won't give it one star just in case the later stories turned out to be better, but my reading list is too long to press on with something I'm not loving.
Zoltán Szabó
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
My first encounter with The Best Horror of the Year series. Although a pretty uneven anthology, some of the featured novels are definite treasures with superb atmosphere, ideas. Will definitely check out some of the authors as well as the following books in the series.
Nicole Wright
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
this was very hit or miss, some stories were amazing and some were so awful
James Patrick
Apr 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This anthology wasn't for me. High quality stories to be sure, but they focused too much on the fantastical. I just couldn't get into the vast majority of stories.
Troy
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice mix of stories

My favs were the final story The Narrows and one set in Thailand Harry and the Monkey. This anthology is highly recommended.
Erin
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
A mixed bag. My personal favorites were If Angels Fight, Harry and the Monkey, and The Narrows.
Anastasia Garcia
Jan 14, 2010 rated it liked it
My Rating ★★★ 1/2

Datlow draws upon the many sources of the horror to find the best collection of horrific, spine-tingling, and grotesque short stories of the year. The stories range from the obviously gore-filled to the more subtle tales of dark fantasy.

Cargo, E. Michael Lewis - ★★★
Davis, a cargo-hold tech, is sent out to retrieve a most precious cargo - human bodies. Hoping it stays a routine pick-up, he is surprised to find that it won't be a quiet ride home.

If Angels Fight, Richard Bowes -
Bernd
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
This book as a mixed bag for me. Many of the stories didn't really grip me, but as with many anthologies, there are some pearls in between. If you can grab this book in a sale, and you like horror, I recommend getting it.
Justin
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
After a bookstore shopping session, this was one of the books I was looking forward to reading, and it turned out it was an autographed copy.
So, the anthology starts with a summation of 2008, which would be useful to look into to check out other reads in horror fiction. As for the stories:
Cargo, E. Michael Lewis
The opening story is about soldiers bringing back the dead after the incident in Jonestown. It was okay. 3 stars.

If Angels Fight, Richard Bowes
I just couldn't get into this one really. 1
Aaron Bellamy
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
As I write this, the Best Horror of the Year series edited by Ellen Datlow is on volume seven. I've read several of them, though out of order, and like most anthologies, the stories can be hit and miss. Datlow begins each volume with a 'summation' of the year which, though dense, is a treasure trove of other writings. This launching volume is a stronger one, lead by the astonishingly well written 'The Man From the Peak' by Adam Golaski. This story begins as one of the most well realized parties ...more
DJ
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
*** Cargo by E. Michael Lewis
Not really scary but ok story
* If Angels Fight by Richard Bowes
Unreadable
**** The Clay Party by Steve Duffy
Gruesome story that could have actually happened
**** Penguins of the Apocalypse by William Browning
About a struggle many have in life
** Esmeralda by Glen Hirshberg
The story could have been structured better
*** The Hodag by Trent Hergenrader
Folklore tale that was written in a unique way
*** Very Low-Flying Aircraft by Nicholas Royle
What could happen if a pl
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Reddening
  • Full Throttle
  • The Ones That Got Away
  • The Deep
  • Vampire on the Orient Express
  • The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies
  • The Summer I Died (The Roger Huntington Saga, #1)
  • Books of Blood: Volumes One to Three (Books of Blood, #1-3)
  • The Worm at the Core: On the Role of Death in Life
  • The Graveyard Apartment
  • Dirt: Adventures, with Family, in the Kitchens of Lyon, Looking for the Origins of French Cooking
  • Writing the Private Eye Novel: A Handbook by the Private Eye Writers of America
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)
  • Murder in the Merlot (Ray Elkins Thrillers #8)
  • The Dead Girls Club
  • The Light Warden
  • Carrion Comfort
  • Treasures Of Egyptian Mythology: Classic Stories And Folk Tales Of Egypt Pharaohs, Gods And Deities
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with Ter

The Best Horror of the Year (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Best Horror of the Year: Volume Two