Start by marking “A Savage Factory: An Eyewitness Account of the Auto Industry's Self-Destruction” as Want to Read:
A Savage Factory: An Eyewitness Account of the Auto Industry's Self-Destruction

A Savage Factory: An Eyewitness Account of the Auto Industry's Self-Destruction

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A Savage Factory is a true memoir straight from the factory floor of an automotive giant losing the global auto war to smaller, weaker, less experienced foreign competitors that beat us at our own game on our own turf. It gives an inside look, up close, at incompetent management at war with the labor force that created a quality nightmare and caused the car buying public t ...more
Published April 23rd 2009 by Authorhouse (first published March 4th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Savage Factory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Savage Factory

Mary-Ann
Sep 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nursing a bum ankle at home today, so can't do much else but read. Luckily I have two brand-new (both published in 2009) accounts of the inner workings of Ford Motor Company--and both are reasonably well-written. This one has typos throughout, it's true, but I couldn't help but overlook them, since there is just so much craziness in the book that I could relate to from my experience (1998-2001) at the Ford Rawsonville Plant.
Scott
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wannabe historians, car nuts, Ford enthusiasts
Recommended to Scott by: thetruthaboutcars.com
A Savage Factory can is best explained in the title. I get the feeling that Mr. Dewar did in fact witness the self destruction of one auto company by the way they chose to do business, at least in the early to late 1970's. The book starts with an MBA recently separated from Proctor and Gamble looking to earn a large sum of money by working for Ford Motor Company. He is only there to earn just enough so that he can pay off his mortgage and earn some start up capital to fund is own business. He is ...more
Brian Grilli
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really a big car guy, but I don't think you have to be to enjoy this book. This was an interesting and quick read about the dark ages of the American Automobile Industry. If you didn't know Ford was a car company, you would think it was a circus or an insane asylum by the the authors account of his time at Ford Motor Company. The book covers the complacency of the industry, the invasion of foreign brands, and the overall toxic culture that undoubtedly led to early graves for many workers ...more
Anthony
Oct 10, 2009 rated it liked it
An interesting look at a Ford transmission plant during the 70's. As a former foreman, the author is more sympathetic to the union than I would have expected, but the mutual animosity between the two sides, combined with a focus on numbers at the expense of quality, and of corporate management that was too hands-off with it's plants, contributed to the awful cars that nearly killed (and may yet still kill) Detroit.
Bill Johnson
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was quite interesting and tells the tales of the auto industry's foibles during the great decline during the 1970's. It portrays the harsh realities that plagued workers and illustrates the conditions which have defined working in manufacturing as negative, which still exist, in some regards, today.

Definitely a worthwhile read for those interested in the auto industry.
Greg Swallow
This would have been a great book if it were published in 1985. Still, it was an entertaining read. There will be no demise of Ford Motor Company, at least not in my generation, and the scene in this book is set twenty years past.

Dan Richter
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time putting this book down. Dewar provides political insights about life inside a suburban Cincinnati Ford plant, giving the reader an understanding of the eventual demise of this once powerful industry.
J.D.
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting read, albeit riddled with typos. Brought back memories of inspecting parts in GM plants during my days co-oping at a supplier.
Daniel
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent first-line management view of the inside of Ford. You ever wonder why their cars were terrible and they lost so much market share? This book will show you.
Wes Knapp
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book - it explains a lot - the quality of the cars built in the 70's by the Big 3 US automakers was poor at best.
Ross Kirkpatrick
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent example of what was wrong with traditional mass production and how toxic workplace relations effect the end product.
Michael W. Backus