Start by marking “Bleed for Me (Joseph O'Loughlin, #4)” as Want to Read:
Bleed for Me (Joseph O'Loughlin, #4)

Bleed for Me

(Joseph O'Loughlin #4)

Ray Hegarty, a highly respected former detective, lies dead in his daughter Sienna's bedroom. She is found covered in his blood. Everything points to her guilt, but psychologist Joe O'Loughlin isn't convinced.

Fourteen-year-old Sienna is the best friend of Joe's daughter, and he has watched her grow up and seen the troubled look in her eyes. Against the advice of the police
Published 2010 by Sphere

To ask other readers questions about Bleed for Me, please sign up.
Yvonne Wilson yes, they are better read in sequence because of the way that main character's background stories develop and run through them. They are a very good…moreyes, they are better read in sequence because of the way that main character's background stories develop and run through them. They are a very good series of books, enjoy! (less)
Fight Club by Chuck PalahniukAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieGone Girl by Gillian FlynnHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingEnder's Game by Orson Scott Card
Best Plot Twist
290 books — 828 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienThe Godfather by Mario PuzoAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueThe Shining by Stephen King
Fiction
148 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Phrynne
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
Now that was good. That was very, very good! I am developing quite a taste for Joe O'Loughlin despite his Parkinson's Disease and the fact that he can't seem to move on from his soon to be ex wife. Try harder Joe! She's not really worth it.
I found it very hard to put this book down and when I did it cried for me to pick it up again! There was so much going on and so many wonderful characters. I spent the whole book hoping that Ruiz would survive to the end. He is hilarious. I am not going to quo
Brenda
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Robotham book that kept me spellbound! I stayed up reading into the wee hours last night, even though I knew there was too much book left to finish it. I got up this morning, fed the cats, picked the book up and didn't put it down until I was done.

While the effects of Parkinson's are getting worse for Joe's body, his mind is also in turmoil. His personal life is in shambles, and he's basically living in limbo because he still loves his wife, Julianne. As personal and professional stresse
Brenda
Joe O’Loughlin’s title of psychologist meant he understood the human mind – mostly. But sometimes even he couldn’t work out what made criminals tick. And with “Mr Parkinson” in residence, ruling his life 24/7, he wondered how much longer he would have control. Parkinson’s disease had taken over Joe’s life gradually – his separation from the wife he’d loved for over twenty years was much quicker. But they were still friends; Joe still had hopes of reconciliation between them. His girls, fourteen ...more
Lisa
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Robotham You have managed to pull me right into another Joseph O'loughlan Novel that kept me up late last night to finish it. Was unputdownable & had enough twists to sink a ship you are a master of your craft.

Former Detective Ray Hegarty is found murdered in his daughter Sienna's bedroom she is found covered in blood everything is pointed in her direction but Psychologist Joe O'loughlan is not convinced.

14 year old Sienna is Joe's daughters best friend Joe has watched her grow up &a
Wendy Soliman
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
A compelling read spoiled because the author broke the golden rule - never kill the frigging dog! Having an animal tortured and not showing much reaction is unnecessary and upsetting. I enjoy Robotham's work and, apart from the dog episode, this was was cleverly put together. I get a bit peeved with Joe lamenting after his family. He does need to man up and confront the issue instead of letting his wife make the running. I have a feeling that if he wanted her less, she'd be back with him in a he ...more
Emma
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
You’ve got to love Joe, but boy does he get himself into every trouble going! This book is dark and sadly quite a product of our times. I like that we get to suffer along with him through the angst of being a parent, of being a newly separated husband. Ronnie Cray and Ruiz are also strong characters. They make quite a team. Recommended series but start at the beginning.
Perry
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too many ingredients, but no eggs; thus, this cake fell flat

This was my second book to read involving O'Loughlin (a police psychologist). It didn't click for me as did the 1st book I read, Shatter (the 3rd in the series). The story was not nearly as suspenseful, though it did keep me interested for about 3/4 of the novel. The author appeared to mix in too many ingredients, with an eye toward a story told on a grander scale that would require at least another 100 pages.

It seemed that, after the
Nigel
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Robotham is rapidly becoming a favourite author of mine. I really like the Joe books and simply find myself completely caught up in the story and unable to put them down - this is no exception to that. Joe as a character is excellent to me and the other main characters are rich and and well written generally. This is a tense and exciting read. It does have little regards for police procedures to me but it was nonetheless very enjoyable. 4.5/5
David
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You've done it again Mr Robotham - managed to keep me up more half the night reading another of your unputdownable Joseph O'Loughlin thrillers. Thoroughly enjoyable read from start to finish!
Rob
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just can't get enough of Michael Robotham's character Joseph O'Loughlin. This is my forth book in a row and, so far, there has been no disappointments. At its most basic, this story is about a teacher of high standing in the community who just happens to be lecherous, grooming paedophile. When Joe's daughter Charlie's best friend get involved with this low life, things get pretty sordid very quickly. Of course Joe gets involved and with the help of his one time protagonist now friend Ex D.I. R ...more
Infada Spain
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Calzean
Fourth in the series and one that focuses very much on O'Loughlin's life as his daughter's best friend is charged with the murder of her father. It's a gritty tale with paedophilia front and centre, and a race hate crime with truly viscous thugs. There's not a lot of suspense with the focus on O'Loughlin trying to get the police to see the light although there are a couple of twists at the end.
Karen
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
Fans of Australian writer Michael Robotham will always be waiting with baited breath for the next instalment from him. Be it a book that features (now) ex-cop Victor Ruiz, psychologist Joe O'Loughlin, Sikh detective Alisha Barba or a combination of those characters. BLEED FOR ME is another Joe O'Loughlin book, with a hefty appearance from Ruiz as well - and these two are particular favourites of this reader anyway.

If you've never read a Robotham book before it won't take you long to get up to sp
Maureen DeLuca
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a SOLID 4 star read- but being that I stared with book number 1 Suspect (which was amazing!) I am bumping this read to a 5 star. If you have not stared this series- you are missing out for sure! Great characters, great story lines and all around great writing.....
David Barker
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm on a bit of a Michael Robotham thrillerbinge at the moment: read my first one (Say You're Sorry) last week, and just finished this one yesterday. This is the stronger of the two, and I'm looking forward to reading more Robotham in the coming days.

There's nothing startlingly original about what Robotham's doing here - these are just good, meaty, crime thrillers with plenty of local and character detail. (Not quite as "literary" as Rankin at his peak, but a cut above your average crime writer.
Josh
Dec 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, own, read_2011
Sienna, best friend of Joe’s daughter Charlie is the victim of a predatory school teacher - hitting too close to home, Joe and Ruiz set out to expose the teacher and bring him to Justice. Other threads emerge throughout the course of ‘Bleed for Me’ which eventually bleed (for lack of a better word) into one another leading to an ok ending which could have been less Hollywood and more dramatised. While at times fast paced, ‘Bleed for Me’ did have patches where the story lulled before picking up a ...more
Steve
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this incredibly difficult to put down, and very easy to pick up. I enjoy the authors turn of phrase, and while it looked like there were two separate story lines being developed, I kept trying to tie them together in my head, until they came together and then the climax exploded deliciously. The resolution was long enough to explain much of what happened, but I personally would have enjoyed a little more. I can't wait to read the next in the series.
Ethan
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joseph O'Loughlin is facing some tough times. His fourteen year old daughter, Charlie, recently suffered a traumatic kidnapping and hasn't been the same since. He has separated from his wife of over twenty years, Julianne, and a divorce seems imminent. On top of all his family issues, Joe has been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, and the involuntary ticks are slowly taking over his body. A seasoned psychologist, Joe lectures at the local university, assists in court cases, and attempts to kee ...more
Cheryl
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book in the mystery series featuring psychologist Joe O'Loughlin. This time, he's brought in to do a psychological profile on his young teenaged daughter's friend, Sienna. Did she murder her father? And if yes, then why? Alot of very dark secrets are uncovered about Sienna's life - some which were very hard for me to read. The story's very well-written and character-centric, delving into the psychology behind the crimes.

A blurb on tbe bookcover says " Michael Robotham doesn't just make m
Diane S ☔
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all this author's books and not a one has disappointed me. Love the character of psychologist Joe O'Loughlin and his struggle with Parkinson's. These books are psychologically dark but so very interesting. Always fast paced and with wonderful handling of difficult subject matter. Definitely kept me riveted and turning the pages.
Kate
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize this was a series and I read it as a standalone and it was great! I am going to go and read the others because I like the characters so much. The characters are written so humanely-each with their foibles, but also their sense of humor. Also, the mystery had lots of twists and turns and the action was well paced.
debra
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forgot I read and never rated this one too
Vicki Tyley
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First person, present tense at its finest. A complex psychological thriller that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.
Kim Dyer
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I liked this book, but not as much as the others in the series. Joe's inability to move on from his wife after their separation, the police's complete disregard for Joe's opinion while at the same time allowing him to prepare a psych report for Sienna, Joe's immersion as a civilian in the case, etc. etc. all got a little annoying and rote as these books go on. The last two books have become more of a "why did the killer do this" rather than "who did this" as the killer is revealed fair
Joe
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the fifth entry in the author’s very good series chronicling retired British Detective Inspector Vincent Ruiz and psychologist Joseph O’Loughlin. These books are a very engaging blend of mystery, police procedural and psychological thriller – well written with an excellent cast of real and interesting characters. The one fault I have with the series is that the story-lines have a tendency to go one twist, one coincidence or one connection too far, which does tend to strain credibility.

B
Cali
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LJ
First Sentence: i should start by telling you my name, although it’s not really important.

Psychiatrist Joe O’Laughlin is trying to deal with having Parkinson’s disease, being separated from his wife and only seeing his daughter part time. When his daughter’s best friend is accused of murdering her father, a former police detective, Joe can’t ignore his daughter’s plea to help.

I’ll admit I’m always excited when a new Robotham book comes out and, once again, he delivers. From the very powerful an
Darcia Helle
Bleed for Me is the first book by Robotham I've read and the fourth in this series. I had no problem catching up with the characters and it reads perfectly as a stand-alone. This one has a fairly slow pace and a lot of insight into the characters and events. I felt the slower pace fit the writing style and the plot, and didn't find it dull at all.

The one thing that makes this a 4-star read for me, rather than a 5-star, is the overall tone of sadness. Joe, the main character, narrates the story
Erin
Jun 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Susan Johnson
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It is beyond my comprehension that this book is not published in America. I love the series where the books are told from Joe or Ruiz' perspective. This one is told by Joe. He is saddened by his separation from wife, living in Bath and trying to build a hew life when his daughter's best friend, Sienna, is arrested for killing her father. She was found in a catonic state and Joe is hired by the court to evaluate her psychologically. His wife is serving as a translator at a race-hating murder tria ...more
Need new author/book recommendations!! 6 39 Mar 22, 2014 01:10PM
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicate entries? 1 21 Aug 25, 2013 05:23AM

• Silent Fear (Detective Ella Marconi, #5)
  • Blood Moon (Inspector Challis, #5)
  • Burial
  • Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
  • The Last 10 Seconds (Tina Boyd #5)
  • No One to Hear You Scream
  • Shallow Graves: The Hunt for the New Bedford Highway Serial Killer
  • Silence
  • The Diggers Rest Hotel (Charlie Berlin, #1)
  • By Hook or By Crook and 30 More of the Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year
  • The Old School
  • The Wrong Man (Jason Kolarich, #3)
  • The Colour of Death
  • Shooting Star
  • Pierced (Henning Juul, #2)
  • The Murder Artist
Edgar finalist and Gold Dagger winning author, Michael Robotham was born in Australia in November 1960 and grew up in small country towns that had more dogs than people and more flies than dogs. He escaped in 1979 and became a cadet journalist on an afternoon newspaper in Sydney.

For the next fourteen years he worked for newspapers in Australia, Europe, Africa and America. As a senior feature write

Joseph O'Loughlin (9 books)
  • Suspect (Joseph O'Loughlin, #1)
  • Lost (Joseph O'Loughlin #2)
  • Shatter (Joseph O'Loughlin, #3)
  • The Wreckage (Joseph O'Loughlin, #5)
  • Say You're Sorry (Joseph O'Loughlin #6)
  • Watching You (Joseph O'Loughlin, #7)
  • Close Your Eyes (Joseph O'Loughlin, #8)
  • The Other Wife (Joseph O'Loughlin, #9)
“Jealousy is a terrible thing. I know all the psychological triggers. The fear of losing control, the fear of loss, the fear of abandonment, neglect and loneliness...But the most destructive thing about jealousy is that it kills what it values-the love you want to save won't survive the constraints of jealousy. There is no entitlement. Love is either equal or a tragedy.” 9 likes
“Raising children I’ve decided is a lot sadder than I expecte4d. Seeing them grow up brightly and vividly is tempered by the knowledge that each year brings another share of lasts. The last time I push my daughter on a swing. The last time I play Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus. The last time I read a bedtime story. If I could give my daughters one piece of advice I would tell them to make the most of the first times -their first kiss, their first date, their first love, the first smile of their first child…There can only be one.” 6 likes