Start by marking “Desiring the Highlander (The McTiernays, #3)” as Want to Read:
Desiring the Highlander (The McTiernays, #3)

Desiring the Highlander

(The McTiernays #3)

Seven McTiernay brothers, each a highlander born to protect Scotland and her people, warriors known for their quick wits and quicker broadswords. The third brother, Cole, stared death in the face when he was only a boy...

Now Cole McTiernay is a man. And though he resists them in every way, he has responsibilities. The wild northern Highlands need a laird who can guide them
Mass Market Paperback, 408 pages
Published December 1st 2009 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2009)

Start your review of Desiring the Highlander (The McTiernays, #3)
Eastofoz
Nov 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fan of Monica McCarty's writing style
Shelves: highlander, 2010
This book had sooooo much potential : strong, brooding, emotionally unavailable Highlander; smart, feisty, go-getter heroine, too bad it’s bogged down in mind numbing narration and filler which totally kills the story :-/

Marketed as a love/hate theme, this doesn't last long and suddenly the h/h, Cole and Ellenor, become friends and then some. That’s disappointing because the chase/build-up is dead in the water fast. Cole says he can’t have anything to do with Elle for various reasons from his pa
Somia
A Cosy 3.5 STARS

This was one of my favourite books several years ago, and it still remains an enjoyable read and re-read. Are there clichés in this? Yes, but honestly when it comes to this book and author, I don’t mind it at all. Sombre and self-contained highlander Cole McTiernay is sent on what he deems a fool’s errand, to retrieve something from an English Lord, an unpalatable task for him since he has spent many years despising all Englishman, but he knows his duty so off he goes. When he r
Duchess Nicole
Jun 15, 2011 marked it as no-no-no-not-for-me
I just can't finish this series. Too lovey dovey and full of romance cliches. Women are too innocent, even for a historical romance.
Kathleen
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I also loved this book but must admit that I did love To Wed A Highlander just a small bit better.
Michele Sinclair really knows how to write a good story but what is even better are her characters. She also has a fantastic way of describing things in her book's.
The heat level in this book was not as hot as in TWAH was but it was still there as well as the love that I could fell between the H&H.
I was all set to continue on with this series but found out the book Michele just released The Christma
Sandy M
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
This is my first Michele Sinclair book and it is definitely not going to be my last. And I’m sorry it’s my first book of hers. This is the third in her series and I know I missed a couple of great stories in not reading the first two yet. I’m a huge fan of Scottish historicals, and Ms. Sinclair has just become a favorite new author of mine with her alpha-but-sensitive heroes, intelligent and level-headed heroines, and romance to die for.

Cole McTiernay has spent years hating everything English, k
Layla
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Desiring the Highlander tells a historical romance story that has already been told but with characters that gives it this special touch. It's the first time I like the female character more than the male one. Ellenor was especially strong and determined, she was also very smart and I liked that she knew what she wanted and went to get it. There was no hesitation and no unnecessary drama.
A bit of a disappointment with the end as I felt there was a scene missing before the epilogue. I really wis
Elis Madison
As a boy, Cole and his best friend snuck out against orders to join a battle against the English. Instead, they were captured, and, when the sadistic English officer saw that Cole was unafraid of death, instead he forced Cole to watch as his best friend was tortured and killed.

Since then, Cole has been famous for his icy cold, unfeeling demeanor, and for his hatred of all things English. With one unfortunate exception: His brother Connor married an Englishwoman, and Cole, in his cold, unfeeling
Claudia
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
First of all I have to say that Michele Sinclair is a new must-buy for me. Her stories are great and all her characters win your heart in time ... even if you don't like them in the beginning, as it was with this story.
I had real troubles with Ellenor at the beginning, and I don't really know why. I could understand her behaviour and her reasons for that was sound. Nevertheless she annoyed me at the beginning.
Contrary to Cole. he was a great hero.
I loved how their relationship turned and especi
Lori
Aug 18, 2010 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I liked this one, but not as much as the other two. I thought Elle and Cole were both well-drawn and believable. I enjoyed the secondary characters, too. But a few things bothered me. First, there was a lot of internalizing. Next there was a lot of analysis of emotions with what I perceived to be modern verbiage. "Cole internalizes his emotions" just doesn't sound like something a 14th century woman would say. I was disappointed that Colin was barely mentioned. And that he and hiswife ...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Cole McTiernay has vowed revenge against the English and unwilling to let go of the past either much to his family's dismay.Years later Cole is very much cut off from his emotions or at least he thinks so but nothing could be further from the truth. Ellenor Howell feigns madness to prevent her marriage against her will. Ellenor's life and choices are taken out of her hands by Cole. Ellenor realizes that she's only safe in Cole's arms and no other. Will Cole's heart thaw? How will Ellenor help? Y ...more
Fran Soto
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book a must read and with each word that is read you really are hooked, what an excellent writer! I never want to miss a book in every series and I highly recommend this book and all books by this author! Fantastic book, you will not want to put it down, I know I didn't and I wanted more and I feel that you will also! Great, Great, Book!
I won this book as a giveaway.
Dawn ♥ romance
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This historical romance was just so-so. The beginning and end had some exciting action but the rest moved slow with a stubborn hero and characters ruminating about everything. I skimmed a lot. Highlander Cole is sent by his sister-in-law to pickup Ellenor in the England, a country he hates.
Lea-Marie
i don't even know what the two stars are for
Becca
Feb 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
There was so much head jumping that I couldn't follow the story. The editing style made this hard for me to follow and there was heavy bouts of insta-lust that I just didn't find appealing.
Cindy
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cole and Ellenor's Story

This is Cole & Ellenor's story. Both have incidents in their past that affect their attitudes. Cole is emotionally closed off, while Ellenor is frightened of men. They spar a bit at first but Ellenor quickly realized that Cole will not hurt her. The story is well written, Ellenor is not clingy but needs Cole around to feel safe, & Cole continues the story in book 3 of becoming the Laird for a clan in trouble so the story switches between the relationship & the fight to be
Heather
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great

Ellenor pretends to be mad to keep people from her and protect herself . While fighting her own demons of the past she connect to Cole the McTiernay brother whom was sent by his brother to get her treasure from England. While fighting his own demon and everything English some how this English lass breaks thru his ice and shows him love.

Good book love the characters , well written and love the new found love these two find after facing their demons.
Clarice
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cole McTarinay has a hate of everything English since the lost of his childhood friend, however, he has never met anyone like Ellenor. Who can hold her own. Can these two trouble soul help each other find happiness together.
cindy Brunette
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highlander

I love the McTiernay Brothers Book 3. Each new book follows another brother. It keeps you wanting more from each book. Start with book 1 and you will be hooked on this series.
Meranda Semeniuk-Wappel
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to read the next book in this series. Such a fantastic book that I don't think that this series should ever end!
Louise E.
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story.
May 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Boring!!!
Emma
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every time I think I know who my favorite is I change my mind so I'm going to say I love them all sooooo much and the Priest is my favorite. What a hoot!
Oksana
Nov 02, 2019 added it
Cole stubborn man
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
BORING AND SLOW!!

This is the 3rd book and 3rd eldest brother in the McTiernay Brothers series. Cole has been sent to England to get his sister in law Laurel's childhood friend Ellenor. Cole is also, being considered to be the Chieftain of Faire Creachann. Faire Crechann is a band of small individual Northern Highlanders Klan's who have come together to make one large Kan, but they need a leader. The McTiernay's being know for their leadership and warrior skills has asked Cole to be one of those
Terree
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Those of you who know me know that I have a weakness for a hero who has a troubled past. I love the man who isn’t quite perfect and needs the woman, who he has vowed never to want, to dig just a little into his heart and help deal whatever childhood trauma he has been dealing with all of his life. I am happy to say that this is one of those books.

The Window Seat

Cole McTiernay has turned out to be one of my favorite heroes. You see, Cole loathes anything and everything English. An English soldier had done horri
Shannon P
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed this book for an award about a year ago and I gave it very high marks. Jumping into the series on book three did not hurt one bit, it only made me want to read the first two as soon as I could get my hands on them. The characters were very easy to like and the story was a fun one to follow. I'm a fan of women that aren't easily caught and men that swallow their pride to go after what they truly want. I love that just when I thought the story was drawing to a close, it went deeper and ...more
wordgirl
I liked the story. I thought the characters were well-developed. The relationship between the hero and heroine was good. The only problem I had was thinking at least twice that a certain spot would have been a good place to end the book. And then the end came and the epilogue jumped ahead quite a bit, and I thought that I would have liked to have seen how the heroine was rescued and what happened after. That being said, I did like the story and look forward to reading the other McTiernay brother ...more
Cruth
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Their pasts affect their futures - it isn't an easy road to HEA. I like that. The background characters and the heros from other books in the series play an important, evolving role. This is also A Good Thing. Nice characters, good story, believable HEA.

Nancy
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another great story of one of the McTiernay brothers, this time Cole. Loved the characters of both Cole and Elle. Getting a little tired of the bad guy always capturing the heroine in the end, so she can almost die, but of course be rescued. (not just in Sinclair's books, either.) Otherwise, it was still a very enjoyable read, and I'm looking forward to reading the next installment!

• The Arrow (Highland Guard, #9)
  • The Hellion and the Highlander (Devil of the Highlands, #3)
  • Taming the Highland Bride (Devil of the Highlands, #2)
  • Highland Vixen (Highland Weddings, #2)
  • A Highlander Never Surrenders (MacGregors, #2)
  • Seduced by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #2)
  • The Recruit (Highland Guard, #6)
  • To Conquer a Highlander (Highlander, #1)
  • Return of the Rogue (Sinclare Brothers, #1)
  • The Sinner (The Return of the Highlanders, #2)
  • The Rock (Highland Guard, #11)
  • The Hunter (Highland Guard, #7)
  • The Raider (Highland Guard, #8)
  • Highland Promise (The Sons of Gregor MacLeod, #1)
  • When You Love a Scotsman (Seven Brides for Seven Scotsmen #2)
  • Highland Lover (Murray Family, #12 & Camerons, #3)
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • Highland Conquest (The Sons of Gregor MacLeod, #2)
In need of a creative outlet, I began writing novels after my second child was born. A voracious reader of romance books and a constant dreamer of romantic plots, I was encouraged to put my ideas to paper. I soon found out I loved it...all of it!

I am a member of the Romance Writers of America and of the Georgia Romance Writers.

In addition to writing historical romance novels, I also build large HO

The McTiernays (8 books)
  • The Highlander's Bride (The McTiernays #1)
  • To Wed a Highlander (The McTiernays, #2)
  • Tempting the Highlander (The McTiernays, #4)
  • Seducing the Highlander (The McTiernays, #5)
  • Never Kiss a Highlander (The McTiernays, #6)
  • The Most Eligible Highlander in Scotland (The McTiernays, #7)
  • How to Marry a Highlander (The McTiernays, #8)

News & Interviews