Start by marking “How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?” as Want to Read:
How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?

How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?

(How Do Dinosaurs...?)

With more than 7 million copies sold, everybody's favorite bestselling dinosaurs are back to say: "I love you," in a VERY big way!
Parents and children can never have enough ways to say "I love you"--and now, America's favorite dinosaurs are giving families a funny book, perfect for bedtime, storytime, anytime. Even when little dinosaurs are naughty, it's important to remin
Published October 6th 2009 by The Blue Sky Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?

Start your review of How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
When compared to one of my favorite bedtime books, How do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight, I feel like the text in this picture book is weak. It's cute for us parents, because it expresses how we love our little dinosaurs no matter what. However, I wish a dinosaur had simply said, "I'm sorry," in this book. Even if it was only said one time, it would have made a much stronger book for children.
Text 3 stars
Illustrations 5 stars
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I was really bothered by this one. I know that the message is two-fold: here is the right way to show that you love someone (words, hugs, and kisses) and parents will love you no matter what you do. But I can see a kid getting the idea from this that you can get away with all kinds of naughty things as long as you turn around and tell your parents that you love them, or give them hugs and kisses afterwards. Perhaps this should be read to children accompanied by discussion?
Kat
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
Basic plot: Little dinosaurs show their parents how much they love them in many ways.

It's fun being a parent of a little monster, but it can also be frustrating at times. The little ones often do things that are frustrating, but then turn around and do something completely sweet that makes any parent with a heart melt utterly. This book pays tribute to those moments.

The art continues to be quality, with fantastic color and detail. The question/answer format of the series has changed here slightl
Knowlton Murphy
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whew. Someone is chopping onions nearby.
J
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
First of all looking at the dinosaur characters that were included on the front and back pages reminds me that I am old when I really am not. Out of all the dinosaur information that I had when I was younger there is only one that is being used that I recognize while all the others are rather newish while I still have questions whether that bird-one is a dinosaur or not.

Anyway this was my first dinosaur book by Jane Yolen so I had no idea what to think when I picked up the book. Yes supposedly
Stephanie  Weatherly
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
My almost two year old loves this series of books! This one is not his favorite, but had a great message for a young learner. The dinosaur makes a few mistakes, but knows, that his family will always love and support him. All of the pictures in the front of the different dinosaurs make my son laugh.
Laura McLoughlin
My 5 year selected this as her prize for finishing the winter reading program at our local library.

Cute book reinforcing that parents will love their children no matter if they misbehave from time to time.

I would appreciate a pronunciation guide for the dinosaur names.
Michael
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My daughter actually insists on reading this book to me, and narrating what the dinosaurs are saying in each of the pictures.
Shawn Deal
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A very cute book about raising a dinosaur.
Vanessa
I don't usually review my kids books, but this is one that speaks to me. And has since the first time we picked it up in probably last February or March. My kids love this book, well they love the Dinosaurs, while I love the reminder of what parenthood is about. Heck on particularly hard days I will pick this book up after my kids have gone to bed, just as a reminder.

"You woke in the morning in such a bad mood...then sat at the table and fussed with your food.' (This is every day with my oldest
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
I think this is one of my favorite Dinosaurs books, outside of the How Does A Dinosaur Go To Bed. It's a book my kids and I both loved reading and when I pulled it out of the box last week my kids wanted me to read it right away.
The story is a good way to remind our children that even when they're naughty, we still love them.
These little dinosaurs act naughty, and even when they do that, they're parents still remind them that they love them. I found myself laughing out loud to some of the thin
The Badger
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love these dinosaur books. When I have "book-dates" with younger students for good behavior, I may possibly maybe sort of kind of lead them towards either the dinosaur books or the Skippy John Jones books. ...more
Heidi-Marie
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I first heard of this series from my sister-in-law when I was looking at books to order. This is my first to read and I really like the idea of it all. I like the pictures, and the humor in them is great. It's probably a fun way for children to learn about various behaviors and reasons for/behind actions, emotions, etc. ...more
Becky
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I chuckled all the way through...
DivaDiane
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is so far my favorite. They are all so wonderful and adorable, cute and gorgeously illustrated, but the "moral" is sometimes a teensy bit heavy handed. This one doesn't have one. ...more
Felicia Moore
read this book to baby girl
Ruby Velazquez
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
How do Dinosaurs Say I love You? Is a book about little dinosaurs misbehaving and making messes. No matter what they know that they will always have the love and support from their parents. This book is relatable to children because they could envision themselves in the dinosaur’s shoes. We all make mistakes but if we’re truly sorry there will always be second chances. Overall, they also connect to their parents loving them unconditionally even if they each show it in a different manner. I would ...more
Jamie Jessup
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-do-dinos
Just an absolutely adorable story about the different ways dinosaurs (and people) show love. Even though sometimes we are cranky or rude to the people we care about, we still love them and show them that we care. I would read this book around around parent-teacher conferences and I would ask students about the people they love and I would have them do a little craft project to show to their parents at conferences. There are many different ways to show love so I would leave the project pretty ope ...more
Lara
This is such a sweet series of books. I love the detail in the illustrations - so much emotion in the faces and body language of these dinosaurs! The reluctant dinosaur coming from the car was my favorite.

The only reason that this didn't get a full 5 stars was that only 1 time did the dinosaur do something nice to say sorry or to help fix the bad attitude/action of the previous page. (When he made the mess in the sink, he helped mop it up). As it was, the dinosaurs were rude or mean or naughty,
QueenAmidala28
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my second review of a book in this series in children's literature. I love the series but there is something about this one that didn't keep the kids' interest as much as say, How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? by Jane Yolen The illustrations and fonts are great and easy to read but the wording was more sing-song-like than normal.

Also, the ISBN number stated that the edition I read was just the hardcover and not the large hardcover which was surprisng because my edition was pretty darn big! That's cool though.

Recommend for one ye
I have enjoyed all the books in this series, but this one just left me feeling meh. I know that we, as parents, love our kids regardless of what they do. But, this book seems to give the impression that littles can be as naughty as they want and then just turn around and smile and all will be well. Yes, all will be forgiven and we will still love you, but that doesn't automatically make everything all right! There are still consequences for poor choices and bad behavior and this book seems to pr ...more
Carley
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Throughout this book, many types of dinosaurs so something that's not nice or even frustrating, but they each follow these negative actions by doing something sweet.

I was indifferent about this book. I don't think I'd go out of my way to read it unless my audience is just really passionate about dinosaurs or this dinosaur series.

This would be another good book for inferencing. "What does the look on her face say?", "What happens when you throw sand?". It would also be good for describing the way
Suzanne Kunz Williams
Children don't always behave pleasantly, yet we always love them. This book illustrates that point. That you don't have to be perfect to be loved.

**Talking points - Who do you love? What do they do that you like? What do they do that you don't like? Do you have to like everything a person does in order to love them?
Mely
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
These dinosaurs are such a hoot. This dinosaur series is overrated in my opinion, however, this is probably my favorite book of the series. There's something so ironic about a dinosaur trying to show it's love. I adore these illustrations in the series and the rhyming text always makes this a fun read aloud. ...more
Ariel Webb
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Gotta say, this wasn’t my favorite Dinosaur book (and we have read and loved a lot of them). I felt like it encouraged a lot of bad behavior that was completely overlooked. Oh you ran off in the parking lot but you smiled so I love you.

Whereas the other Dinosaur books typically ask something like: Do dinosaurs hide dirty socks behind doors? NO, they fold their clothes and clean their rooms.
Iggi
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, storytime
age: preschool+
plot: sometimes dinosaurs (children) are grumpy and messy and sometimes they're nice and parent's love them either way
themes: unconditional love, parenting, being a family, humor (all the kids are represented by massive dinos)
illustrations: charming, retro, and include the names of the dinos in each picture
CMReichard Family
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
How Do Dinosaurs books are a fun series of books for your dinosaur loving young reader. The rhyming text, variety of dinosaurs, and the classic illustration of the parents make this a fun book to read. Quite a few of these books have had my husband and I laughing out loud or remembering a time the exact same thing has happened in our home.
Alicia Evans
For: dinosaur fans; readers looking for a book about tough days.

Possible red flags: anger, fits, and not listening to one's adult; while meant to be about a grumpy child on a tough day, could also be seen as an abusive relationship (mean/cruel behavior followed by kisses/smiles that make the writer/adult "forget" because they really do love them).
Jane
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was very cute. I used it as a Valentines themed book for my 3-5 year old story time and they LOVED it. The pictures, the rhyming, and the older ones would point out actions that they related to. I think its a great choice for a good night book or a story time book.
Olivia S
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the concept of this series, it cracks me up. Dinosaurs with human parents, HA! In this one, the dinosaurs are grumpy and misbehaving, but they still show their parents that they love them. Cute story about how your family will always love you, even if you misbehave. 3+
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Llama Llama Home with Mama
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Julius, the Baby of the World
  • Bear Wants More
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • Fox the Tiger
  • The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites
  • Bear Feels Scared
  • Bear Feels Sick
  • Duck on a Bike
  • There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow!
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more

How Do Dinosaurs...? (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Cats?

News & Interviews