Start by marking “New and Selected Poems, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
New and Selected Poems, Vol. 2

New and Selected Poems, Vol. 2

Mary Oliver has been writing poetry for nearly five decades, and in that time she has become America's foremost poetic voice on our experience of the physical world. This collection presents forty-two new poems-an entire volume in itself-along with works chosen by Oliver from six of the books she has published since New and Selected Poems, Volume One.
Published April 1st 2007 by Beacon Press (first published 1992)

Katie
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Right in the middle of her mostly human-less poems, there's one that says that if only Donald Rumsfeld would crawl out of the President's armpit and play with her little dog, he would be, for a moment, a rational man. I laughed out loud. An insult a career in the making. Black bears, lilies, wild geese, ants, fields, rivers, trees, and Donald Rumsfeld in the President's armpit. Thank you for all that you do, Mary Oliver.
Nathaniel
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This volume of poetry is supremely accessible. While it would be exhausting and difficult to read straight through a volume by most poets, I glided from cover to cover of this book in less than two hours. Oliver is so gentle and transparent with her readers, whom she directly addresses with great frequency, that it feels as if she is holding your hand on a guided tour (with dogs) through a country side full of singing birds and (somehow not depressingly) animal carcasses.

Since a search for meani
andy
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love Mary Oliver’s poetry just like that of Walt Whitman and Emily Dickinson.

Oliver’s poetry isn’t for a sweet taste of natural beauty. No, that is a misconception. It is about love of life. It is meant to be be chewed, syllable by syllable. Read it if you don’t believe me.

I can’t distinguish between poems, just like one couldn’t distinguish between children, but since I posted this and it makes my point, here it is: https://twitter.com/exlibrisetc/statu...
Sasha
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Probably a 3.5 for me. Some of these poems were so so beautiful and life giving. They are like 95% about nature though and as a city girl at heart I couldn’t always relate. I also got a little bogged down by the end. Really appreciated how overall accessible these were though! I don’t know a lot about poetry but I was definitely able to appreciate these with just one or two reads.
Kara
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finished this at 7 pm in a Panera on New Year's Eve and it's the best book of poetry I've ever read in my life (you may say, "Of course, it's Mary Oliver" and I say, "Okay, fair.")
Hannah Jayne
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“One would say she was a simple woman, made happy by simple things. I think this was true. And more than once, in my long life, I have wished to be her.”
Leigh
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this woman -- the way she thinks, the way she sees the world. The way she teaches us to be attentive: “To pay attention, this is our endless and proper work.”

and

“I tell you this
to break your heart,
by which I mean only
that it break open and never close again
to the rest of the world.”

~ Mary Oliver, New and Selected Poems, Vol. 2
Alex
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I usually don't love these sorts of long, "new and selected" collections, but when I heard that Mary Oliver died I thought about how many times I've thought "I should really read her" and never followed through. Besides 'Wild Geese' I had barely read any of her poems, and this was what the library had.

I am SO glad I picked it up. She is a very consistent poet, both in the quality and tone of her poems, and the way she connected to the natural world spoke so clearly to me. It was a joy to work t
Roger DeBlanck
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Mary Oliver is the astonished, celebratory observer of the natural world. Her poems take in every sight and sound, and she makes sure to absorb nature’s energy, allowing it to pull her into alignment with every bird and deer, every tree and flower, every breeze and rainfall. Her poems are like benedictions and prayers. She is generous in giving back to the world all the love, passion, and wonder it has produced in her. She immerses herself in opportunities to experience joy and know compassion. ...more
Arta
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, poetry
"But mostly I just stand in the dark field,
in the middle of the world, breathing

in and out. Life so far doesn't have any other name
but breath and light, wind and rain."

(What Is There Beyond Knowing)

This volume was not as good as the first one, but still very good. Mary Oliver's poems are inspired by nature. She writes about birds, dogs, trees, sometimes people or a certain sentiment, but somehow I could relate to almost all of them. Her poems are so positive, sometimes bitter-sweet, but th
Jenny
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I have been trying to find a poet I like, and Mary Oliver is probably one of my current favorites. This collection is beautiful in all senses the word can be used; I normally find nature poems and stories hard to get into, but Oliver uses nature and living creatures to illuminate the self (or the "soul"). When I read her poems, I feel as if I am finally seeing the things that are important: the world around us as it is, words that are used to create something beautiful, and who I am, and could b ...more
l.
Aug 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
I am amazed by my hate for her poetry!
example:

"They blew in the wind, softly, this way, that way. They were not disappointed when they saw the scissors, rather they brace themselves sweetly and shone with willingness. They were on tall and tender poles, with wheels of leaves. They were soft as the ears of kittens. They felt warm in recognition of the summer day. A dozen was plenty. I held them in my arms. They were silent the way the deepest water is silent. If they wondered where they were goin
Stacey
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I must admit -- I selected Mary Oliver's poetry collection only after spying the cover of the book. She looks so much like my mother; yet in spirit, the two could not be farther apart.

These poems slow down your heartbeat and make you take a good look at nature and beauty all around us.

As she says in her eloquent poem Mindful, "Nor am I talking about the exceptional, the fearful, the dreadful, the very extravagant -- but of the ordinary, the common, the very drab...".
ezra
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
These are poems that you thought were impossible until you read them. Mary Oliver takes poetry back to its simple original purpose: to celebrate. I am skeptical of nature poetry normally. It seems so "wishy-washy." But this stuff is sturdy, it makes you feel alive, it talks about the world how it really is and it made me remember real-life beauty.

I mean, I think if you wanted to define "beauty" to somebody who never heard of it, one of these poems would be the thing to give them.
Rafael
"And now I have finished my walk"
...through this beautiful, tender garten of poetry wonders! And every forest path I walk, whenever I see a heron or listen to a singing bird I get back to your natural kingdom, Mary, and there is nothing else to be done, no higher purpose or meaning to be found beyond the miraculous simplicity of our bare existence.

"And I am just standing, quietly, in the darkness, under the tree."
("White Pine", p. 175).
Kevin
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Seamus Heany once signed a book of poems for Angela and he talked about how poems we enjoy give us back what was ours (they reminds us previous experiences we've had in our life). This book of poems does this also; it takes you back to experiences especially of the outdoors & wildlife. This was Angela's intent when she bought this book of poems for me to read. I am very grateful.
Crysta
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adore Oliver, and this is the first time I've read a collection of her poetry, mostly one or two a night over a couple months. I love her imagery, her connection with nature, and her sheer joy and wonder at being alive. She asks haunting questions and leaves you to ponder the answers. A poem for every day, every season.
Sunni
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, favorites
This collection is one I return to again and again. Even though Mary Oliver has published a lot since this book, and much of it has been very good, none of it has surpassed this one. Everything is new and surprising.
Jypsy
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion, Mary Oliver never writes anything not worth reading. I love all of her work.
Nancy McKinley
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent. Fresh, Earthy and whimsical are the words I'd use to describe Mary Oliver's work. I delighted in her words and her slant on life, especially the natural one. I will seek out more of her books in the future.
Derek Parsons
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
No poet speaks so clearly to me. That is all.
Guinevere de la Mare
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I want to roll around in Mary Oliver's words like a dog in a meadow full of deer pee. Happy Poetry Month!
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
RATING: 5 STARS
(Review Not on Blog)

I am a huge fan of Mary Oliver and this is a great collection for newbies and fan. The poems are selected from Oliver's past collections.
Margaret
Jul 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I shouldn't need reminding, but I do. And Oliver does just that: She reminds me why the world needs poetry
Kris
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
A nice start.
Kim
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature, poetry
I love Mary Oliver very much!! I have nothing to say about this book of poems, other than it was a sheer delight to read a few every morning right after waking up!!!! Mary Oliver made waking up at 4:00 a.m. in the dead of winter palatable and almost holy, and that's the biggest recommendation I can give.
Stephanie
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Timely and lovely. Oh, to be 'a simple woman, made happy by simple things.'
'So it is if the heart has devoted itself to love, there is not a single inch of emptiness.'
Catherine
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
She’s just the best if we all looked at the world like her it’d be so much better
Scott
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So good
Liz VanDerwerken
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, poetry
Mary Oliver reigns eternal. This volume spanned the 1990s to mid-2000s and showcases a wide breadth of her evolving work. I loved a lot of poems throughout, but I really loved the selections from "West Wind" (1997) which really showed a different side to Oliver's body of work. Various poems in that collection utilized interesting and unusual syntax and rhythms quite different from Oliver's usual lovely cadence, and I found myself relating poems to some of my favorite poets & writers such as ...more

• New and Selected Poems, 1974-1994
  • The Collected Poems
  • Collected Poems, 1943-2004
  • Alive Together
  • Risking Everything: 110 Poems of Love and Revelation

“In a region that has produced most of the nation's poet laureates, it is risky to single out one fragile 71-year-old bard of Provincetown. But Mary Oliver, who won the Pulitzer Prize in poetry in 1983, is my choice for her joyous, accessible, intimate observations of the na
“I tell you this
to break your heart,
by which I mean only
that it break open and never close again
to the rest of the world.”
754 likes
The Poet With His Face In His Hands

You want to cry aloud for your
mistakes. But to tell the truth the world
doesn’t need anymore of that sound.

So if you’re going to do it and can’t
stop yourself, if your pretty mouth can’t
hold it in, at least go by yourself across

the forty fields and the forty dark inclines
of rocks and water to the place where
the falls are flinging out their white sheets

like crazy, and there is a cave behind all that
jubilation and water fun and you can
stand there, under it, and roar all you

want and nothing will be disturbed; you can
drip with despair all afternoon and still,
on a green branch, its wings just lightly touched

by the passing foil of the water, the thrush,
puffing out its spotted breast, will sing
of the perfect, stone-hard beauty of everything.”
475 likes