Start by marking “The Boys, Volume 5: Herogasm” as Want to Read:
The Boys, Volume 5: Herogasm

The Boys, Volume 5: Herogasm

(The Boys Collected Editions #5)

Garth Ennis, John McCrea, and Darick Robertson bring another tale from The Boys! An evil so profound it threatens all mankind! The mightiest heroes on the planet uniting to defend us all! A secret crisis of such utter finality that a countdown to civil or infinite war seems unavoidable! But have you ever wondered what really happens during Crossovers? The Seven, Payback, ...more
Published December 8th 2009 by Dynamite Entertainment (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Boys, Volume 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boys, Volume 5

Start your review of The Boys, Volume 5: Herogasm
Anne
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This answers the burning question: What do heroes do during these world-ending crossover events?

description

Pretty much what a lot of fans have suspected.

description

There's also a bit more about Veep, and the conspiracy surrounding Vought's plans for him.
And while this is still something I'm interested in, I have to say that Ennis is kind of pushing it with the gross-out stuff. There's only so many times you can see cartoons fucking and farting without it losing its edge, you know?
Somehow, I'm thinking moderation
mark monday
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Question: What is a "Herogasm"?

a) "la petite mort" de la super-héros, évidemment! pour les super-héros, c'est UNE GRAND MORT! partout!!!

b) an annual retreat for the dastardly "super-heroes" of Ennis' pitch-black series The Boys; a place where these villainous jerks get their fuck on.

c) the title of a somewhat amusing miniseries in which Ennis trots out more mildly entertaining riffs on his various themes: Corporations Are Evil, Government Is Corrupt, and Anyone Who Wants To Be A Hero Is Probably
David Schaafsma
I had taken a break after the last volume and am back at it, though not with great enthusiasm, after a summer of reading YA "kick-ass-girl" main characters, given the amount of gratuitous sex in this volume. Yikes. Ultimately it has some purpose, in critiquing the narcissistic superheroes who meet for a self-congratulatory "herogasm" convention and then hold a Supies award ceremony. But by now we get this critique, that they are a self-congratulatory bunch of a-holes, and maybe you could make ...more
Sam Quixote
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
"Herogasm" is the name of an orgy the supes attend every year when they tell the rest of the world that they're joining forces to fight off a space alien threat far away. They get together on a remote tropical island and it's "Caligula" but more graphic.

There's not much more to the story - Homelander's planning something, Vought American continue their plan for world domination, the Boys find some more backstory to their version of 9/11 that wasn't elaborated on in "Good for the Soul". But it's
Patrick
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing

As with most good stories, what really makes them enjoyable is the characters.

And this series has that in spades. While they're all painted in broad strokes, they are relate-able and interesting. They come into conflict with each other, argue, and show genuine fondness for each other. Genuinely touching moments abound, making a nice counterpoint to the grim, perverse world the story is set in.

(Continued in book six.)
Arminzerella
Gavin
May 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I was kind of let down by John McCrea's art, though it's not bad, it's just not Darrick's. Also holy shit, could there BE anymore naked supes? After a while there's no shock value, it's just overload. Ya we get it Garth, these Supes are a bunch of degenerate low-lifes that will fuck, suck, snort, shoot, smoke anything.

This is described as a side-story/mini-series, so I'm confused if this is supposed to be stand-alone or not.

The good parts are near the end, and some of the revelations about
Erik
May 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
As impressed as I have been with Ennis’s The Boys, this spin-off mini-series started out riotously enough – with the worlds’ greatest superheroes bidding the world goodbye as they fly off into space to counter a meta-threat, only turn tail and head to a remote island for a week-long orgy with their arch-nemeses. A proper spoof on those annoying multi-title crossovers that the Big Two still churn out on a yearly basis, if I’ve ever read one.

However, the gratuitous sex becomes more of an irritant
Simon
Aug 21, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Volume 5: The superheroes on all sides unite, publicly to fight an off-world existential threat, privately to go to a retreat loaded with drugs and prostitutes to let off some steam. The Vice President (who is mentally incapable of full sentences or full words) comes along because, apparently, that is the only place you can get drugs and sex. The titular "The Boys" (I assume the "The" is important) are along to surveil the Vice President's secret service. All said members of the secret service ...more
Jim Gorman
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Stewart Tame
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perhaps a bit of a letdown after volume 4, but pretty much anything would be, really. This was still fun, but, storywise, it's really more about planting seeds for future plots than it is about Herogasm.

"And what is Herogasm?" you may ask. So you know how universe-changing, multi-title crossover events are pretty much standard fare for superheroes these days? In the world of the Boys, that's what the supes SAY they're doing, but what they're really doing is each other. And plenty of high end
Ross Thompson
The 5th volume of The Boys sees the world's superheroes take time out, while pretending to be fighting an intergalactic war (similar to the secret invasion), and head off to a remote island for days of extreme sex, drugs and an awards ceremony. Herogasm being the name for this mini-festival of debauchery.

There are some smirks here, mainly aimed at the Fantastic 4, and what they might get up to in private, but the joke is a little laboured over the 6 issues.

I think a key learn for me is that if
Mike
Sep 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: creator-owned
Vile and puerile - not my usual experience of Ennis (it's usually one *or* the other) but a nice little miniseries in the middle of a successful run. There's some interesting subplots around the VP and just how corrupt the White house is - but mostly it's a "meditation" on how sick these heroes really are - how corrupted by their unchecked powers they really get.

It's not like I don't enjoy this kind of fun stuff - but there's still something missing from the story. It doesn't quite have the full
Jason
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This is the volume of "The Boys" with all the sex in it. Very interesting stuff. I enjoyed this volume, its very different to previous volumes and seems shorter. There is still the violence, but the boys themselves are more subdued than normal. The ending is brilliant, the female was at her best.
Jennifer Juffer
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I felt a little lost.
The story continues with great writing, terrific graphics. However, I felt the story unraveled a little. Yet as it unraveled, the plot continues to expand.
I dearly hope that book six will put the story back on track, at least, for me.
I get a little lost at times.
(I am from IOWA) lol

All I can say, reader, who may be looking to see if this is actually worth the read... it is.
Most protracted comics have their lulls.
This just happened to be the issue I felt was the low in the
D'Iberville Library
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This series is not for the weak. This installment especially.

The supes have announced to the Press that they are off to battle some space invaders and will be MIA for a while to avenge the G-Men. In reality, they are going to the 24th Annual Herogasm located on a remote resort in the Caribbean. They are in for a week of sex, drugs, and general debauchery. (Not that they don't typically indulge in those things, but this is a Vought-American funded orgy vacation.)

The Boys are there, in hiding,
Dimitris
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well... it was fun! It was ok.

Not as fun as the previous volume, but not as boring as the second volume.

Nice artwork, ok story, fun at times and liked it towards the end mostly.

On to the next one!
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
I don't know what's going on. This keeps getting weirder and weirder. Curious what the show will be like with some of these story arcs.
Janessa
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Shit is about to hit the fan. Can't wait for the next book. (good thing it's sitting right here...)
Ryk Stanton
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
July 2019 - Ugh, wish I'd listened to my own advice and skipped this on reread. If this series represents how the authors regard their readers, they don't think much about us.

February 2015 - The low point of the series, in my opinion. No character development for anyone, no plot advancement ... just an obsessive amount of debauchery. This is actually a mini-series that came out at one point; you can safely skip it.
Cathy
Jun 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
This certainly wasn't my favorite Boys issue. The sexcapades themselves got tedious and boring, and the plot involving Vic the Veep was hard to follow, perhaps because it had been a while since reading the last book.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Sep 28, 2015 marked it as to-read
part of the Banned Comics Humble Bundle
http://cbldf.org/2012/10/qatar-no-fan... (Banned in Qatar)
Adam
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Vic the Veep makes me laugh.
John Barclay
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Oh boy, lots of sex with supes. Yawn. OK, so the meta plot is interesting but for a 6 part series this is not worth it.
Peter Derk
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
In this one, the meta-joke is about the massive crossover events that take place in comics. Which include:

Crisis on Infinite Earths: This was written by a guy whose real last name is "Wolfman." Who also wrote Dracula and Blade comics. Sometimes things just make sense.

Secret Wars: Send a bunch of dudes to some planet to fight. Sounds a little like what was happening before, but sure, why not.

Secret Wars II: There was another one. Even more secret-er? You be the judge.

Secret Wars: Not to be
Tundextra
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: darkfantasy
In the Marvel & DC universes there's often a big annual event in which all the superheroes, and even some of the villains unite some alien enemy in space or another dimension...
Well Ennis says... yeah... more like they pretend to go off on a mission, whilst really they get a week off in a hedonistic retreat packed full of booze, prostitutes, drugs and whatever else they need... welcome to Herogasm.
The Boys infiltrate the event as part of a mission to just see how compromised the US
J.
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-e-own
In this volume, the teenage boy that lives in Ennis' head escapes and runs amok for 100 pages before the writer can wrangle him and get back to the plot. After a pretty solid setup (Event Books / Summer Crossovers are really just an excuse for heroes to vanish and have orgies and do drugs for a weekend), the book turns into juvenile gags that no longer serve a purpose for about 100 pages. Then, at the end, the Boys show up and the book gets its focus back.

In some ways, this book seems like the
Nick Scott
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series had been really up and down for me, but this volume was one of the highs. I tend to like this series more when it focuses on Vaught American's dealing with the American government, and how the supers are just tools. Even The Boys sort of take a back seat in this one, and when they do take action, it again has more to do with finding out more about the connections between Vaught American and the government. Then on top of all of the interesting plot stuff, you get all the supes having ...more
Jack Bumby
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can't, in good conscience, give this one a 5 like ones before it. This is a spin-off apparently, from the main story. The writing is still great. It's funny and dark, and I still love the characters. But we get it Garth, supes are dicks.

But it mainly loses that extra star because the art is noticeably weaker, in my opinion. I missed Darick Robertson's art. It's not bad, just not as good.

I do love the idea that THIS is what superheroes actually do during s crossover event.

And I especially
Simon
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This book, this....book.

I've never seen a graphic novel that was so full of what actually makes it graphic.

Storywise, its another chapter in the universe of Supes and Boys who take them down. There is a lot of twisted politics in this volume, and a lot of flashing back on this world's version of nine-eleven.

Aside from all the heavy thickly coated dialogue, is a crap ton of sexual activity and shenanigans. Supes like to get away for a week of every kink you can possibly imagine. It's a retreat
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Jennifer Blood, Volume Three: Neither Tarnished Nor Afraid
  • Jennifer Blood, Volume Two: Beautiful People
  • Incorruptible, Vol. 4
  • Incorruptible, Vol. 1
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ...more

The Boys Collected Editions (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Boys, Volume 1: The Name of the Game
  • The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie
  • The Boys, Volume 9: The Big Ride
  • The Boys, Volume 10: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
  • The Boys, Volume 11: Over the Hills with the Swords of a Thousand Men
“You know you can be a real bitch sometimes."

"I can be a perfect cunt.”
0 likes