Start by marking “Sweet Cherry Ray” as Want to Read:
Sweet Cherry Ray

Sweet Cherry Ray

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  990 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Excerpt…
“Cherry glanced at her pa who frowned and slightly shook his head. Still, she couldn’t help herself and she leaned over and looked down the road.
She could see the rider and his horse—a large buckskin stallion. As he rode nearer, she studied his white shirt, black flat-brimmed hat and double-breasted vest. Ever nearer he rode and she fancied his pants were almost
Published (first published December 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Cherry Ray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Cherry Ray

Katie W
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved how the title of this book was the full name of the main character. I was totally in the mood for a western romance and this one fit the bill perfectly. I also enjoy reading stories during the season they take place in and a summery book on the first day of summer was great!

That said, Cherry Ray is always into something--usually mischief of some kind. When a stranger rides into their small Texas town, everyone assumes he's wanting to join up with the local outlaw. Cherry and her young fr
Kathy
May 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010
Without realizing it I stayed up until 2:45 am finishing this book. I started this book quite late last night and was just going to read a few pages - but was so enjoying the story that I just kept reading. I was shocked to realize how late it was when I finished and looked at the clock.
Loved spunky Cherry Ray - she was much more self assured than many of the female characters in Marcia's other books. Another wonderful Marcia Lynn McClure book!
Courtney
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clean-romance
Another great book by one of my favorite authors! I recently discovered Marcia Lynn McClure about 6 months ago and whenever I get a chance to buy one of her books or borrow them from my friend, I jump on the chance!!

Sweet Cherry Ray was one of the best MLM books I've read - of course, I think they are all the best so who knows!!

I love the mystery involved in who Lobo is in this story and I found myself as equally drawn to him as Cherry.

Cherry can't help her curious mind and eyes and she tries t
Teya Peck
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
AWE! I love this book! Whom I kidding she is my Favorite author! Sweet Cherry Ray I think reminds me of myself. Spit fire and can hold her own, goes for what she wants and doesn't let go. Fun, spunky, and a clean fast read. One of my favourites, of course!

I still love this story. It's just sweet and sassy and I love it.
Tara
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I wish her books were longer, I read them too fast. It will be a sad day when I have read all of McClures books. I must pace myself.
Brenda Swanson
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved Sweet Cherry Ray! I love that Sweet Cherry isn't your ordinary girl. She loves animals...alive or dead! I love the way Cherry stands up for herself with Lobo! Great book!!
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I thought this was a really fun western. It had the feel of an old Western movie with the outlaws, mysterious gunmen and a showdown at the end. Cherry was a likable heroine, she’s nineteen and finally getting to the point where she wants to be seen as a woman, not as the tomboy her father has her dressed up as. She closest friends are little kids, and I thought their relationship was sweet. I was glad to see her mature as the story went on though. Lobo is a likable hero, mysterious and handsome. ...more
Kristen
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, romance
8/9/13 - Can always count on McClure to lift my day. Still don't care for the name Lobo.

9/14/12 -
Short, but so sweet. Loved every minute of it. I just love her western's. I wasn't too thrilled with her hero's name. Lobo, made me think of a dog's name. But who cares, a handsome man can have whatever name he wants. :o)

Another great one by McClure...keep em' comin!

Moral Note: Mild western violence, passionate kisses, a few hecks, and a couple of cut off swear words.
Stacey Hall
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Cherry Ray is my kinda gal!! I loved this story it had me giggling the whole time!!
Amy
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It was so fun to read and it was one of those books were you sighed at the end.
Cheri
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
What a sweet story! I love Marcia McClure's books; she is one of my favorite authors!!
Cyndi
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of MLM's best. I loved that the girl wasn't whiney.
JaNeen
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down!! I loved it!!!
Ali~may
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this story. All of her stories (MLM) are the same, but I still enjoy reading them!
Kari
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think I've grown out of these books. I loved them when I was younger, and now I find them to all be the same and I can't overlook how unrealistic they are.
Gadgetgayle
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: pg
Content: clean, mild kissing, some gun violence without graphic details, references to prostitutes & saloon gals.

Cute story as usual. Exactly what you can expect from MLM.
Jamille Parks
Jo Notary
179p Black Jack Haley and his band of outlaws spent a lot of time in the town of Blue Water. Drinking, gambling and keeping company with saloon girls, even the fact that retired Texas Ranger Arthur Ray lived nearby did nothing to discourage Black Jack and his boys from spending their time and stolen money in the small western town. Still, though the outlaws never harmed any of Blue Water's citizens, Arthur Ray knew men like Black Jack could turn on a dime. An outlaw was an outlaw and not to be t ...more
Kathryn
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
LadyCalico
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really couldn't get into this book. It started so badly that it tainted whatever enjoyment I might otherwise have found in the charms of the story, since the latter half wasn't nearly as bad. Cherry Ray is supposed to be 19, but she acts like she's a child, and her father has to warn her not to get into "mischief" when she goes out to play with little kids, yet she does so anyway because for some bizarre reason she still lacks adult judgment. What 19 year old woman is still fascinated by a mag ...more
 Mummy Cat Claire
I got this free from Amazon.

This wasn't my favorite of McClure's. I had never heard of this particular book before. I love her historical western fiction books, but out of the ones she has, this again isn't my favorite.

I liked Cherry. She was very young in the book in her physical age but I think she was mentally young too. There wasn't a huge growth within the character to where I thought she was ready for marriage.

I liked Lobo. You know the moment when he appears in the book who he is. He was
Carolyn
I really loved it. I like MLM books because they are clean, I wouldn't worry about my daughters reading them at any age. That said, some of her books are better than others. This is one of the really good ones! I love how the men are men, the women are strong, but not masculine, and they are all honorable types. I am old fashioned, and I like my heros to be gentlemen. Not sissies, but respectful of people. This was a fun read. The secondary characters were great too, especially Arthur and Billy! ...more
Sandy
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
BEST. MARCIA. HEROINE. EVER! I love, love, love Cherry Ray. I grew up on a ranch with a daddy who taught me to shoot like the boys and ride a horse like a cowboy, so I love that Cherry uses her skills (and a little sugar!) to capture Lobo's heart. I couldn't help but grin and cheer when Cherry impresses Lobo by shooting all six bottles off the fence. (Do you know how many afternoons I spent shooting pop cans off my backyard fence???) I love a Marcia gal with a backbone and spunk to match.

This re
Quinn Heder
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As a concerned father of daughters who so much of the time have their noses buried in one of Marcia Lynn McClure's romance books, I thought it wise to check one out for myself, and I'm glad I did. Marcia is a wonderfully youthful writer, grasping the fun and frolic of childhood, while pouring more PG rated romance into a single scene than I thought possible, all through this story. The story line itself is fun, creative and well developed ...and believable. Even though YA romance isn't my usual ...more
Beata
Very romantic, old fashioned western romance. Sometimes I want to read something romantic, not complicated, entertaining and mostly romance. I've read few books by this author and was very pleased. Romance is passionate (yet clean), the story is simple (maybe even predictable) but enjoyable and sweet. I call it a "fairy tale for women". And sometimes there is nothing better than a good fairy tale, isn't it?
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Although this isn't one of my *favorite* Marcia McClure books, I did really like it. I just met Marcia at a dinner event and had this book signed. I first read it as an e-book but now it is in print. I love Marcia's handsome and strong male characters. They completely steal the show. Lobo is no different. It's all about the kiss.

I guess my one little complaint is the hell's and damn's in this book. I could have done without those.
Melody
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Susan
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Sweet Cherry Ray" reads dime store novels, dresses in boy's clothing, and is a straight shooter. The mischief she's always getting into (with the help of the Parker kids), makes her even more lovable. No wonder Texas Ranger Lobo McCoy can't help himself from falling in love with this little filly. The story has great characters!
Aoi
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cherry Ray is always involved in mischief of some kind- moreso when the mysterious stranger Lobo arrives in town. Everybody thinks he's about to join a gang of outlaws, but when he turns protective of her she can't be sure.

The book reminds me of childhood novels and holiday pranks.Perfect for a lazy afternoon. !
Jennybug
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really liked Cherry she was a little bit spunkier than most of the female characters in Marcia's books. I only wish that she could have put her good aim to use. I get frustrated when the female character's are lacking self confidence and don't think that they have a chance with the hunk of burning love. This girl was quite the little spit fire, I enjoyed that.
Best Book Club: What the wolf?? 1 2 Jul 16, 2015 10:00PM
  • A Secret Fire
  • Jayhawk
  • The Guise of a Gentleman (Rogue Hearts, #2)
  • The Kissing Tree
  • Shades of Gray
  • The Handsomest Man in the Country (The Traherns #1)
  • The Rancher (Redbourne, #1)
  • The Commander's Desire
  • Peace River (Rockland Ranch, #1)
  • Marian's Christmas Wish - Just a simple Christmas Wish -- but not simple when Love is at Stake
  • Courting Miss Lancaster (The Lancaster Family #2)
  • Aces Wild (Angels Avengers #1)
  • Montana Summer
  • Before the Dawn
  • Wonderland by Night
  • Illuminations of the Heart (Poitevin Hearts, #2)
Born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Marcia Lynn McClure grew up influenced by the reminiscent stories of rugged, rural Colorado farm life fascinatingly recounted to her by her parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts…tales of runaway buckboards, mule-drawn plows and dust pneumonia; verbalized images of stream-flooded meadows, frozen over in winter, where a child could peer through the crystal clear ic ...more
More about Marcia Lynn McClure